College Square is a landmark in the ruins of Cambridge, Massachusetts in 2287. From the battle lines, it appears as though raiders were attempting to make a stand against feral ghouls but were overrun.
Once the center of Cambridge University and a part of Cambridge, this central square is currently a ruin of a different sort; originally a stronghold held by raiders, it was recently overrun by a massive infestation of ferals. Prior to its fall, this encampment was not only the center for the usual raider antics but also an extortion racket, charging travelers a fee to ensure safe passage from the raiders. Since its fall, the area earned a reputation for transients being torn apart by the ferals. Needless to say, travelers, transients, and scavengers have avoided the place, leaving the place ripe for looting.
The square is built around College Square station and adjacent to the Cambridge Police Station. Several restaurants, shops, and offices line the square, offering minor loot. The newspaper shack by the entrance contains a novice locked safe; the building behind the newspaper shack (facing the subway entrance) contains another safe, which is advanced locked.
Three streets come together, and they are lined with buildings, most of which can be explored for loot. Careful, however, there are many "sleeping" ghouls, mines, and traps.
A breakdown of the square starting on the south side and going around counter-clockwise includes the buildings lining the south side of the square, which can be explored and contain a tool case with leveled loot next to Ricca on the third floor. The building attached to this contains an advanced lock wall safe behind the counter on the second floor. Below this, there is a laundromat with assorted junk.
The northeast side of the square contains a small diner with a Novice locked bathroom containing a first aid box. Directly to the right of the diner is a Novice locked Pulowski Preservation shelter which contains a feral ghoul. The three-story building to the left of the diner contains nothing of note, but here is a wooden walkway that leads to the roof of the neighboring building which contains some 10mm ammo next to a skeleton. The walkway will collapse as the character walks over it.
In the northern corner of the square, there is an open truck trailer with another ghoul and an explosives box in the back. The two-story house on the western side of the truck leads to a wooden catwalk that crosses the north entrance to the square. This leads to the roof of the house across from the truck where there is another caps stash, steamer trunk, and a duffle bag with leveled loot.
The three-story building on the northwest side of the square has an Advanced-locked door on the third floor which leads to a fire escape behind the building.
There is a building in the western corner of the square with nicer than usual furniture and an Advanced-locked safe behind the counter with a cash register. The stairs in the rear of this building lead to the second floor where there is more assorted junk.
Directly west of the station is a small info kiosk containing a Novice-locked safe and a racetrack advertisement on the shelf which will mark the Easy City Downs location on the map. On the roof of the other kiosk is a caps stash. Under the center of College Square is College Square station - a subway, some aspects of which seem to still be running.
- Toll schedule - On the body of Ricca on top of the high building (the building with the can trap in the door, next to the west info kiosk) overlooking the square.
- Two Vault-Tec lunchboxes on the first table inside the cafeteria with a live bottlecap mine sitting in between. The cafeteria is opposite the plutonium well, just north of the Cambridge Police Station.
- Power armor - On top of a section of highway to the northwest, accessible by elevator.
- 66 burnt magazines, found in abundance for all three variants.
- Jamaica Plain flyer - On the counter of a kiosk, just outside the station's entrance.
- Racetrack advertisement - In the same kiosk, on the magazine rack.
- Cleansing the Commonwealth: Knight Rhys gives the Sole Survivor an assignment to clear the location of what he calls "abominations" to further the aims of the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Ghoul Problem: Settlers have asked the player character for help in taking care of some feral ghouls that have been terrorizing a nearby location.
- Pest Control: Dr. Binet of the Institute's Robotics division asks the Sole Survivor to eliminate some feral ghouls that are causing problems for a synth scavenger team.
- Randolph Safehouse: The Railroad agent Mister Tims will leave dead drops in the form of six holotapes for the Sole Survivor, containing information about possible hazards to the Railroad's escort and escape of synths out of the Commonwealth. They can assist in these efforts by clearing out the location of hostiles.
- Lost Soul: Doctor Carrington has a lead on a synth that's in danger and sends the player character to save them.
- Leading by Example: Lancer Captain Kells requests the Sole Survivor's help in training a Brotherhood squire by allowing him to accompany them on a mission.
- When tasked with clearing out College Square by a settlement, one must kill the legendary ghoul in College Square station to complete the quest.
- After clearing the square of ghouls, a number of raiders or super mutants may show up and attack the Sole Survivor upon entering the square.
- There are mattresses and sleeping bags spread out in the houses, and the second house to the left of the Pulowski Preservation Shelter have beds on the bottom floor.
- College Square seems to have a reset problem. Many buildings can be looted repeatedly by traveling to Graygarden to drop the loot and then go back, repeating the process.
- When at this location, companions make comments, which are activated in two locations: at the square itself and within the station.[clarification needed]
|Cait||At the square||""|
|Codsworth||At the square||""|
|Curie||At the square||"College Square. I was hoping some professors or even students would be here..."|
|"We simply must study these feral ghouls more. Do they possess only animal cunning? Or is there trapped inside some higher cognition?"|
|Danse||At the square||""|
|Deacon||At the square||"Raiders used to be in this area. Can't say I miss them."|
|"Aw, did the poor raiders get eaten by Ferals? For once, the Ferals did something right."|
|Hancock||At the square||""|
|Nick Valentine||At the square||""|
|Piper||At the square||""|
|Preston Garvey||At the square||""|
|MacCready||At the square||""|
|X6-88||At the square||""|
College Square appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenesEdit
College Square's location and layout are based closely on Harvard Square in present-day Cambridge.
- PC A quest marker for Cleansing the Commonwealth may completely disappear when approaching closer than 40-25m (from different points).[verified]
- PC Stuck ghouls in the surrounding area make it impossible to finish Cleansing the Commonwealth.[verified]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition p.402-403: "[7.01] COLLEGE SQUARE
The northwest entrance to Cambridge was once a Raider stronghold, recently overrun by Feral Ghouls. It’s worth removing a few rotting heads to gather the copious ammo and Caps here. Check the buildings you can access and don’t forget to jimmy open the three safes and collect contents from a trunk on the northeast roof area."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)
- ↑ Curie: "College Square. I was hoping some professors or even students would be here..."
- ↑ X6-88: " "
- ↑ Preston Garvey: " "
(Preston Garvey's dialogue)
- ↑ Toll schedule