The exterior consists a small, fortified plateau with three shacks on it, two of which can be entered. The plateau is accessible from its eastern side by an uphill path, and by a simple suspension bridge on its western side. The whole area is guarded by several super mutants, whose level is dependent on that of the Lone Wanderer. On higher levels, centaurs can also be present.
Multiple gore bags are found outside the northern shack. Next to it is a collapsed shack, with a kneeling wasteland captive in front of it, who can be rescued for a small reward. To the south is the second accessible shack.
The northern shack has a single room, which holds five more gore bags, as well as a plethora of ruined books spread all over. A skeleton is laying on a bloodied bed, the latter can be used for sleeping. Next to the bed are an ammo box and a footlocker, and underneath it is an Average-locked safe.
The southern shack has two rooms, a hostile super mutant is also present. Four makeshift bedding are found on the floor of the first room, along with an oven and a refrigerator. The second room has a dead raider on the bed, a dead wastelander near the dresser, and another lucky wasteland captive in between the two. An Average-locked safe is found on a wooden shelf near the southern wall.
- Board of Education in the hands of a skeleton on the bed.
- A pre-War book on the nightstand.
- Grognak the Barbarian on the middle shelf of the last metal shelving to the right upon entering.
- Pugilism Illustrated on the shelf in the room to the left.
- There are two random encounter triggers nearby; one occurs near the bottom of the bridge going up, and the second near a puddle next to the cliffs.
- Loading a saved game or fast traveling to the location can cause a group of super mutants to spawn.
- Sometimes, when using V.A.T.S. from a distance to highlight the captive, the game may not load the super mutants to the area.
The clifftop shacks appears only in Fallout 3.