“You have a fear of enclosed spaces (probably because of the mutants that live there). You gain +1 to SPECIAL attributes when outside, but suffer -1 when indoors.”— Fallout: New Vegas description
When outside you gain +1 to all SPECIAL stats but when indoors, you suffer -1 to all SPECIAL stats.
- Because of the simplistic nature of the function used to check if the player is indoors, Claustrophobia will not count the player as "indoors" if they enter cramped areas such as the various collapsing houses of the Sierra Madre Villa. The only indoor areas which count are those which require the player to transition through a loading screen to reach an outside area.
- Also due to the simple function used to check being indoors or outdoors, a number of unexpected locations are considered "outside", specifically the REPCONN test site launch platform, the greenhouses at NCR sharecropper farms, the Lucky 38 cocktail lounge and penthouse, and Higgs Village.
- This trait could make lockpicking or hacking while in an interior difficult. However this difficulty can be offset with various chems or magazines.
- Combined with Early Bird, being outside from 6AM to 12PM increase each SPECIAL stat by +3, while being inside from 6PM to 6AM reduces each SPECIAL stat by -2.
- Synergizes well with Walker Instinct, which grants an additional +1 to Perception and Agility wherever Claustrophobia is active.