|For the Fallout character, see Chris Avellone (Fallout).|
For the Fallout 2 character, see Chris Avellone (Fallout 2).
Avellone joined Interplay Entertainment in 1995. He was a level designer on Fallout 2, as well as the co-lead designer of Van Buren, the canceled Fallout 3 project. In 2003, Avellone left Interplay, joining Feargus Urquhart to found Obsidian Entertainment, where he became the new company's chief creative officer.
At Obsidian, Avellone served as the senior designer on Fallout: New Vegas, and both project director and creative lead designer of its add-ons. In 2015, Avellone left Obsidian to pursue freelance work.
- Player characters may encounter a mercenary named Chris Avellone in Fallout.
- An NPC named Mayor Chris Avellone appears in Fallout Tactics, but Avellone did not provide voice acting for the role.
- There is a location named Avellone in Fallout Tactics.
- Avellone wrote the Van Buren Tibbets Prison design document.
- The Vault City designer notes include credit to Avellone for the design of Vault City.
- Lyrics of the song "Begin Again" featured in Dead Money were co-written by Avellone.
- The Fallout Bible was compiled by Avellone, consisting of behind-the-scenes design documents and developer statements about Fallout 2.
- He wrote the script for the graphic novel All Roads, a promotional item released with the Collectors Edition of Fallout: New Vegas.
- In 2022, he started Fallout Apocrypha, in which he would answer more fan questions.
|January 1995||May 2003||Interplay Entertainment|
Black Isle Studios
|June 2003||May 2015||Obsidian Entertainment||Creative Director|
Chief Creative Officer
|1998||Fallout 2||Level Designer|
|2003||Van Buren||Co-Lead Designer|
|2010||Fallout: New Vegas||Senior Designer|
|2011||Dead Money||Project Director|
|2011||Old World Blues||Project Director|
|2011||Lonesome Road||Project Director|
|1997||Star Trek: Starfleet Academy||Additional Mission Design|
|1999||Planescape: Torment||Lead Designer|
|2002||Icewind Dale II||Designer|
|2004||Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords||Lead Designer|
|2006||Neverwinter Nights 2||Creative Director|
|2010||Alpha Protocol||Lead Designer|
|2011||Dungeon Siege III||Chief Creative Officer|
|2014||Wasteland 2||Highpool/Ag Center|
|2014||South Park: The Stick of Truth||Chief Creative Officer|
|2015||Pillars of Eternity||Narrative Design|
|2016||Torment: Tides of Numenera||Writing|
|2016||Divinity: Original Sin II||Additional Narrative Design|
|2018||Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire||Additional Writing|
|2019||Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order||Story and Writing Consultant|
|TBA||Dying Light 2||Head Narrative Designer|
- Chris Avellone linkedin.com
- Chris Avellone Twitter, 9 Jun 2015 (Archive)
- Chris Avellone Twitter, 16 Aug 2016 (Archive)
- Kickstarter campaign description: "To help shape and direct the existing narrative of System Shock, we've enlisted the help of Chris Avellone, who is best known for his work on a number of role-playing games, including; Fallout: New Vegas, Wasteland 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 2. Chris will be working closely with Stephen Kick (our Creative Director) and Jason Fader (our Project Director and Senior Producer from Fallout: New Vegas) as well as several other key developers from Fallout: New Vegas to bring modern AAA quality into the world of System Shock."
System Shock (Archive)
- @AgentC1983: "Hey Chris, quick question, are you able to confirm if you voiced the character “Chris Avellone” in fallout tactics?"
@ChrisAvellone: "I did not, no. To my shame, I had forgotten "I" was in there (and if I'd known, probably would have asked them to take it out)."
Chris Avellone Twitter, 25 Apr 2015, (Archive)
- Vault City designer notes
- Begin Again sheet music credits
- All Roads credit page