|For the Fallout character, see Chris Avellone (Fallout).|
For the Fallout 2 character, see Chris Avellone (Fallout 2).
Avellone joined Interplay Entertainment in 1995. He was a Fallout 2 level designer, co-lead designer of Van Buren the canceled Fallout 3 project, and was promoted to lead designer. In 2003, Avellone left Interplay, joining Feargus Urquhart to found Obsidian Entertainment where he became the new company's chief creative officer.
At Obsidian, Avellone served as senior designer of Fallout: New Vegas and both project director and creative lead designer of its add-ons. In 2015, Avellone left Obsidian to pursue freelance work.
- Player characters may encounter a mercenary named Chris Avellone in Fallout.
- An NPC named Mayor Chris Avellone appears in Fallout Tactics, but Avellone did not provide voice acting for the role.
- There is a location named Avellone in Fallout Tactics.
- Avellone wrote the Van Buren Tibbets Prison design document.
- The Vault City designer notes include credit to Avellone for the design of Vault City.
- Lyrics of the song "Begin Again" featured in Dead Money were co-written by Avellone.
- The Fallout Bible was compiled by Avellone, consisting of behind-the-scenes design documents and developer statements about Fallout 2.
- He wrote the script for the graphic novel All Roads, a promotional item released with the Collectors Editionof Fallout: New Vegas.
|January 1995||May 2003||Interplay Entertainment|
Black Isle Studios
|June 2003||May 2015||Obsidian Entertainment||Creative Director|
Chief Creative Officer
|1998||Fallout 2||Level Designer|
|2003||Van Buren||Co-Lead Designer|
|2010||Fallout: New Vegas||Senior Designer|
|2011||Dead Money||Project Director|
|2011||Old World Blues||Project Director|
|2011||Lonesome Road||Project Director|
|1997||Star Trek: Starfleet Academy||Additional Mission Design|
|1999||Planescape: Torment||Lead Designer|
|2002||Icewind Dale II||Designer|
|2004||Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords||Lead Designer|
|2006||Neverwinter Nights 2||Creative Director|
|2010||Alpha Protocol||Lead Designer|
|2011||Dungeon Siege III||Chief Creative Officer|
|2014||Wasteland 2||Highpool/Ag Center|
|2014||South Park: The Stick of Truth||Chief Creative Officer|
|2015||Pillars of Eternity||Narrative Design|
|2016||Torment: Tides of Numenera||Writing|
|2016||Divinity: Original Sin II||Additional Narrative Design|
|2018||Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire||Additional Writing|
|2019||Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order||Story and Writing Consultant|
|TBA||Dying Light 2||Head Narrative Designer|
Behind the scenes
|Behind the scenes|
“The biggest lesson [learned from Fallout 2] was if you give the player the ability to create a certain type of character, make sure that you honour the player's character build. What I mean by that is if you give a character to option to dump 500 points into speech, make sure they have an experience thats very cool and is appropriate for a speech based character. The same thing is true if you're a stupid combat monster, if you're a sneaky thief who no one ever sees... If you're allowing the players to build a character like that with the rule set, then make sure your content supports that experience.”— Chris Avellone, Extrasode episode 61
“There are issues with domesticating tribals and forcing them into one view of the world, there are issues with treating a wonder of the old world as nothing more than a bloody battleground, there are issues with propping old flags from Rome and California without a clear understanding of what those flags represent, and the long-range perspectives of many characters you'll encounter in the world have strong opinions about what's going on in the present, all born from the elements above. The question of the Old World making itself heard in the present - in the Mojave - is a core theme in Fallout: New Vegas, and whether overt or not, we hope it sinks in with the player as well.”— Chris Avellone on the themes of Fallout: New Vegas, User blog:Willooi/Developer Diary and Reflections from Chris Avellone and John Gonzalez
- Chris Avellone linkedin.com
- Chris Avellone Twitter, 9 Jun 2015 (Archive)
- Chris Avellone Twitter, 16 Aug 2016 (Archive)
- Kickstarter campaign description: "To help shape and direct the existing narrative of System Shock, we've enlisted the help of Chris Avellone, who is best known for his work on a number of role-playing games, including; Fallout: New Vegas, Wasteland 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 2. Chris will be working closely with Stephen Kick (our Creative Director) and Jason Fader (our Project Director and Senior Producer from Fallout: New Vegas) as well as several other key developers from Fallout: New Vegas to bring modern AAA quality into the world of System Shock."
System Shock (Archive)
- @AgentC1983: "Hey Chris, quick question, are you able to confirm if you voiced the character “Chris Avellone” in fallout tactics?"
@ChrisAvellone: "I did not, no. To my shame, I had forgotten "I" was in there (and if I'd known, probably would have asked them to take it out)."
Chris Avellone Twitter, 25 Apr 2015, (Archive)
- Vault City designer notes
- Begin Again sheet music credits
- All Roads credit page