|For a list of other player characters, see character.|
- The player can select their gender, age (between 16 and 35), and playthrough. The article is written in a gender-neutral manner to reflect this.
The bloodline of the wasteland's most influential tribemember, extends all the way back to the Vault Dweller and their spouse, Pat.[Non-canon 1] As the child of the village elder, the Chosen One is a member of the third generation of former Vault 13 dwellers living outside the Vault, similar to how their grandparent was the third generation to live in a Vault.
The Chosen One was trained from birth to become the tribe's champion, and, in the future, their elder. Part of these trials were drug sessions with Hakunin, with the final stage of the Chosen One's development being the Temple of Trials; a trial the Chosen One's mother had also completed long ago. After completing their training, the Chosen One was sent out by the people of Arroyo to find a Garden of Eden Creation Kit, which was believed to have the power to make the failing village thrive once more.
Exploits in the Wasteland
In the course of the Chosen One's journey, they changed the wasteland in many ways, both great and small. Their exploits brought excitement to the boring Klamath, they ruined Rose's unique cuisine in Modoc by shooting her deathclaw in the eye and earned the friendship and protection of John Cassidy.
In their travels further south, they exposed the Broken Hills' anti-mutant conspirators' attempt to rid the town of super mutants, thereby earning the loyalty and friendship of the sheriff, Marcus, who joined them on their quest. After visiting New Reno, they became the parent of a child who would eventually become the feared and powerful leader of the Bishop crime family.
Some of their most important deeds took place in Shady Sands, once they entered NCR lands. By killing Darion, leader of the New Khans, they arranged for the Vault 15 squatters to voluntarily join the NCR. This proved that President Tandi's policy of peaceful expansion can be successful, which resulted in a campaign for the NCR's further expansion.
Eventually, the Chosen One found the G.E.C.K. in Vault 13, but they also discovered that there was more at stake than just the future of their village. The Enclave, a vicious para-military organization formed from select members of the pre-War government and the military-industrial complex, abducted the tribals of Arroyo, in order to develop a biological agent capable of wiping out the entire human race, outside of those specially inoculated.
Their journey to defeat the Enclave took them to Navarro, where it was documented that they infiltrated the military base, where they were caught by its drill sergeant without the Enclave's regulatory uniform. Taken for a fresh transfer, they were given the world's loudest berating. While there, the Chosen One freed Xarn,[Non-canon 2] killed the Enclave scientist Dr. Schreber, and repaired a cyberdog named K-9; later leaving him under the care of a mechanic named Dorothy.[Non-canon 3]
The Chosen One reached the Enclave's headquarters (the ancient Enclave Oil Rig) through the use of an old tanker, the PMV Valdez. They destroyed the oil rig by triggering a meltdown of its reactor, and freed both their people and the captured Vault 13 dwellers, killing both President Dick Richardson and Frank Horrigan in the process.
With the G.E.C.K. in their hands, the Chosen One, along with the Arroyo tribals and the Vault 13 dwellers, founded the city of New Arroyo and reunited the two bloodlines that had been separated for three generations. The village elder, pleased with the reunion, found peace and passed away a few months later, leaving the leadership of the village to the Chosen One. With the combination of the Vault dwellers' technical know-how and the tribals' survival skills, New Arroyo thrived under the Chosen One's rule, and grew into a powerful civilization.
Inspired by the Chosen One's example, Marcus wandered east after Broken Hills dispersed, eventually founding Jacobstown in the Mojave Wasteland. He and the Chosen One would never hear from each other again, but if the Courier asks about the Chosen One, Marcus replies that he has a feeling that everything worked out for them in the end.
The Chosen One was also remembered by other individuals. While not being born at the time it happened, Klamath Bob still would tell stories about the tribal that visited the town of Klamath and stirred up the place, and Cannibal Johnson would reminisce of their visit to Navarro.
|Arroyo elder||Unnamed man||Morlis||Unnamed man|
|Chosen One||Leslie Anne Bishop OR Angela Bishop||Chosen One's sibling||Unnamed spouse||Nagor|
|Mr. Bishop||Unnamed woman||Feargus|
|Mr. Bishop's daughter|
- The Chosen One uses the same sprites as the Vault Dweller from Fallout.
- The Chosen One receives their ancestor's Vault 13 suit through a Temple of Trials quest given to them by the Arroyo village elder.
Behind the scenes
- Via the Guardian of Forever random encounter, the Chosen One can go back in time and break Vault 13's water chip, setting the events of Fallout, and by extension, Fallout 2, into motion. This event is a nod to Star Trek.
- According to the Fallout Bible, the Chosen One was born on 03/23/2221.[Non-canon 4]
- Klamath Bob: " "
The Courier: "I take it you're from Klamath?"
Klamath Bob: "Heh, yeah good old Klamath. Not a bad place if you like hunting, eating, and skinning geckos all day! Heh heh. It's a pretty dull place, but I hear there was a bit of excitement when this tribal from Arroyo came to town years back. All before my time, though."
(Klamath Bob's dialogue)
- The Courier: "Where did you come up with this recipe?"
Jas Wilkins: "My great-aunt Rose ran a bed and breakfast back in California, in a town called Modoc. She's the one who created the recipe in the first place. I don't know how she managed to get a hold of a female Deathclaw, but she kept it in a shed. Aunt Rose had a steady supply of eggs for her omelets. At least, she did until some stranger came along and killed the Deathclaw. Shot it right in the eye."
(Jas Wilkins' dialogue)
- Rose of Sharon Cassidy background
- The Courier: "I'd like to know about you."
Marcus: "Was part of Super Mutant army, ran a town, walked the wasteland with a tribal. Now I'm here."
- The Courier: "Why would this Mr. Bishop be after you?"
Bruce Isaac: "Oh, well, that's all just a big misunderstanding, see. Mr. Bishop, well, he owed me a lot of money, and, y'know, he's a busy guy, so I sort of figured I'd just...take it off his hands."
The Courier: "Why did you come all the way out here from New Reno?"
Bruce Isaac: "You don't know Mr. Bishop. He's not like the other bosses up there. He knows the Wasteland like the back of his hand, and he likes to wander it. I knew if I didn't get way the hell away from New Reno, he'd run me down like a dog."
(Bruce Isaac's dialogue)
- Fallout: New Vegas
- The Courier: "Who's Sergeant Dornan?"
Cannibal Johnson: "He was a drill instructor I knew. He was also the meanest bastard I've ever known. Once, he caught this private out of uniform and old Dornan went off on the most ear-blistering rant known to man. It was inspiring."
(Cannibal Johnson's dialogue)
- Fallout 2 endings, Arroyo: "After the Enclave's destruction, the refugees of Arroyo and Vault 13 resettled, building a new community with the aid of the Garden of Eden Creation Kit. Finding themselves hundreds of miles from their Vault, the members of Vault 13 chose to join the villagers in establishing a new community, and their technical expertise, combined with the villagers survival skills, allowed the new settlement to grow and prosper. Two generations of the same bloodline were re-united, and their savior, the Chosen One, became Elder, presiding over the village in the years to come."
- The Courier: "Tell me more about the tribal."
Marcus: "We were looking for a to save the village of . Eventually, we did. Nuked an oil rig in the process. We went separate ways after that. I went east into the Rockies, looking for other mutants like myself. Don't know what happened to my friend. "
- Fallout 2 manual: "Together, our little group moved north, away from the Vault, and away from that old life. Slowly, I taught them what experience had taught me. And together we learned to thrive. The Tribe Over time, our ragtag group turned into a tribe. I fell in love with one of them, and we raised a family, like all of our tribes people. We founded the Village, beyond the great cliff. It is a secure home thanks to our hard work. We would send scouts back towards the Vault, to help others who thought like ourselves, but that slowly came to an end. We no longer head in that direction. I often wonder what became of Vault 13, and the other Vaults, but I never had the time to go exploring again."
- Fallout Bible 6: "e. Xarn the Intelligent Deathclaw from Navarro
According to F2 designer John Deiley, Xarn was supposed to go back to Vault 13 and warn the Vault about Horrigan's attack, but he never made it (in the original design, he was supposed to be able to go back and save all the deathclaws and warn them about the Enclave, but this didn't make it in). He was last seen wandering east into the wastes toward Vault 13 - he never made it, however, so his final destination is unknown."
- Fallout Bible 6: "d. K-9 (from Navarro)"
"After getting his motivator repaired, K-9 was left in NCR by the Chosen One so that he could receive necessary repairs from Dorothy and, not long after his recovery, Dr. Henry (who had been placed in critical condition after being reportedly assaulted by the Chosen One some time earlier). Dr. Henry, afraid that too much information about the Enclave would be obtained from K-9, attempted to destroy the cyborg, but was stopped by cyberdog and Dorothy, who suspected what Dr. Henry was planning. The NCR government used the attack as an excuse to confiscate K-9 and cyberdog in order to learn more information about the Enclave as well as what makes the two of them "tick." At last report (and over Dorothy's objections), K-9 and cyberdog were disassembled and analyzed. Structural damage during the disassembling is reported to have killed them both."
- Fallout Bible 0: "2221 March 23 The "Chosen One" is born. The Chosen One's father is not recorded in the tribal records. The reason for this is unknown, but the Elder may have simply been embarrassed."