Background[edit | edit source]
Created in 1870 on existing marshes and meadow land to supplement the city of Boston's water needs. Although Chestnut Hill encompassed parts of three separate municipalities, the reservoir itself is located entirely within the city of Boston.
Of particular note is the cabin on the south shore; it was once the home of Edwin and Annika, in which the two met after he stumbled upon her, and she leveled her shotgun at his head. Instead of pulling the trigger, they fell in love, spending their lazy nights stargazing from the porch.
After nearly ten years passed, the cabin became a raider camp before being later abandoned. Edwin vagabonded, only returning three years after Annika passed in 2284, seeking solace in the place where they met and began their life together. He and his brahmin Bess arrived at sundown on September 7, 2287, where they settled in and enjoyed their time off the road.
Since he was last there, the cabin's north half had sunken closer into the shore, and he planned to return in the spring to shore up the foundation. In the meantime, it took about a week to clean the raider detritus out of the cabin; to compensate for the local fauna, he built an electric zapper out of parts from an old generator, and attached it to the porch roof.
While out fishing on September 17th, a large swarm of insects attacked Edwin; and while he got a few good shots at them, the scuffle upset the boat and it flipped over. With the danger more apparent and Bess now spooked, he decided to leave in the morning should the bugs not let up.
The following morning, Edwin realized that he lost Annika's locket, the only thing he had to remember her by. Nearly hysterical, he swam out into the middle of the lake to find it, where he then drowned, clutching the last physical reminder of his deceased love. Edwin's skeleton lies at the bottom of the lake, beneath the overturned rowboat, and Bess' corpse, still at the cabin, is in the process of being consumed by insects.
Layout[edit | edit source]
A once picturesque lake on the edge of the Fens, this swampy landscape is now infested with bloodbugs, bloatflies, and stingwings. A small dilapidated cabin rests on the shoreline, containing Edwin's terminal in one corner, and a bed and safe (Master locked) tucked into another.
There are multiple docks around the lake, and a capsized boat in the middle of the water. Multiple skeletons can be found on the north side: one in a patio chair has a cooler on the ground near it (there is also a hidden toolbox in the water under this skeleton), another is in a wheelchair with Buffout on the ground, and a third is in a bathtub with a Nuka-Cola Quantum.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Edwin's journal, a holotape that can be found on a terminal inside of the Edwin's cabin
- One Nuka-Cola Quantum held by a skeleton located in a bathtub on the east shore by a building with a fire escape
- Edwin's key is located in the middle of the lake, in a cooler, under the capsized boat. The key will unlock the safe in the decrepit cabin
- Annika's locket can be found in the right hand of Edwin's skeletal remains underwater
- Two overdue books can be found in a nearby subway station northeast of the lake, including a Vault-Tec lunchbox.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
- Here Kitty, Kitty: The pet cat of Erin Combes has escaped from Vault 81 and the Sole Survivor can coax him back home.
- Quartermastery: Scribe Haylen has identified the location of a piece of technology she wishes to retrieve and catalog. She asks the Sole Survivor for help in bringing back the technology in one piece.
- Cleansing the Commonwealth: Knight Rhys gives the Sole Survivor an assignment to clear the location of what he calls "abominations," to further the aims of the Brotherhood of Steel.
Notes[edit | edit source]
When at this location, companions make comments, which are activated while approaching the rowboat in the center of the pond:
|Curie||"Look at the little row boat."|
|Deacon||"Hmm. Wonder what's under the rowboat."|
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The Chestnut Hillock reservoir appears only in Fallout 4.