Full of stunning stalactites and other ancient rock formations, Charleston cave has remained closed for hundreds of years since its discovery in the early 1960s, and subsequent geological instability. Once the home to a hold-out during the Great War, night stalkers now roam these empty chambers.
The ten nightstalkers wandering the tunnels are cloaked, nightkin style, making a trip through the cavern a perilous game of hide and seek.
The cave itself is a series of winding rock tunnels with several spacious caverns scattered throughout the stone labyrinth. The dark cave is dimly lit by many clusters of green, bio-luminescent non-harvestable mushrooms.
South from the entrance is a chamber with 2 mattress beds and a campfire.
From the campfire chamber, a large chamber with several night stalkers is to the west. A balcony that overlooks the chamber (from whence the largest group of night stalkers can often be sniped) can be accessed by keeping west instead of veering off south and looping down to the large chamber.
Looping around east then south is a small flooded area where a bunker built before the war can be found (see below). The door to the bunker is locked, with a Lockpick skill of 75 required to open it. There is a large amount of loot in the bunker room.
- The unique super sledge Oh, Baby! is located next to the dead nightkin in the south-west cavern. The nightkin will only be present if you have started Guess Who I Saw Today in Jacobstown.
- The Hard locked door in the middle part of the map on the caves (reached by taking the northern passageway from the chamber with irradiated water), and the bottom most level of the caves is the doorway to the room that contains a hunting shotgun in good condition and the Post-War audio log holotape as well as numerous consumables and ammunition boxes.
- The cave contains at least nine "cloaked" night stalkers. Their invisibility is a result of the chewed Stealth Boy found on the nightkin's dead body, and is a required item for the quest Guess Who I Saw Today.
- When approaching the cave, one can sometimes hear the night stalkers bark and snarl.
- There is a bear trap hidden in the flooded section of the cave just before the incline to the Hard locked door.
- There are what appears to be remains of a small camp in the first circular area of the cavern (with the large stone pillar in the middle). There are two mattresses that one can sleep on, a Campfire, and a locked ammunition box.
Charleston cave appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The night stalkers have a tendency to get stuck, usually head-first, within the inclines of the cave passages, making it impossible to achieve a sneak head shot. If you do not have a weapon powerful enough to kill one in one shot (regardless of body part), it will become unstuck upon changing to attack mode.[verified]