The Charleston Fire Department was the heart of the recovery efforts at Charleston in the wake of the Great War. The hardy firefighters became the backbone of the Responders over the years and when the scorched menace appeared, they became the nucleus of the Fire Breathers, the most elite fighters of the Responders. Organized by Melody Larkin and station lieutenant Hank Madigan, the Breathers were to take the fight to the scorched.
The Charleston Fire Department is a two-story L-shaped building located on the edge of the Ash Heap region. Signage indicates that it is a Responders trading post and it is staffed by red protectrons sporting the Charleston F.D. logo. An Overseer's cache sits in front of the reception desk at the main entrance.
Behind the reception area is a classroom where the Fire Breathers Knowledge Exam and registration is conducted. There are several notes throughout the building which can help prospective recruits ace their exam. A corridor near reception leads to the garage which contains several firetrucks and a workshop area with an armor workbench and weapons workbench. There are some weapons and an ammo box behind a locked security gate (Picklock 1) which is also controlled by a terminal (Hacker 1).
Vendor bot Mack and the main trading post is located on the second floor. There is also an office here which contains a knowledge exam cheat sheet with all the answers to the Knowledge Exam as well as the Fire Breathers master terminal. There is also a locked floor safe in this office (Picklock 1).
The rooftop can be accessed via a set of stairs on the second floor. It contains a makeshift lookout which has a clear view of the road to the south.
- Holotapes and notes
- Anti-Scorched tactics - Note, on the large metal desk in the classroom area.
- Asphyxiation and you! - Note, on a small desk in the classroom area.
- Charleston Herald - Man vs. Machine - Note, located on a central desk in the office on the second floor with the master terminal.
- Knowledge exam cheat sheet - Note, on the second floor, next to the master terminal.
- Fire Breathers' first aid guide - Note, in an open locker next to some gas cylinders in the garage area.
- Madigan scouting report - Garrahan - Holotape, on the second floor, in the office next to the master terminal and the cheat sheet.
- Mine signaling quick reference - Note, located in an open locker in the weight room on the first floor.
- Overseer's log - Firehouse - Holotape, located in the overseer's cache in the front lobby area.
- Other loot
- Fire Breather's schematics code: Rifles - Key, on the Fire Breathers master terminal. Unlocks rifle schematics.
- Fire Breather's schematics code: Shotguns - Key, on the Fire Breathers master terminal. Unlocks shotgun schematics.
- Fire Breather's schematics code: Support - Key, on the Fire Breathers master terminal. Unlocks support schematics.
- Plan: Vault 76 jumpsuit - Located on a shelf on the second floor.
- Random armor plan - Behind the security gate on the first floor, on a metal shelf on the first inner row.
- Random mod - Next to the ammo box in the terminal locked cage area.
- Stealth Boy - On the roof at the northwest wooden lookout tower, to the right of a wooden crate.
- Approximately 80 pieces of lead can be acquired from the weight room, once the various weights and barbells are scrapped.
Charleston Fire Department appears only in Fallout 76.
Behind the scenes
- While the complex in-universe is fictional, the real-life Charleston Fire Department's eight stations are located throughout Charleston, West Virginia.
- Though the complex is reffered to as the Charleston Fire Department, the front sign and logos heavily resemble the modern day look of the North Charleston (SC) Fire Department.