|For other characters named Catherine, see Catherine.|
Catherine was a resident of the ruins of Washington, D.C. in the Capital Wasteland in 2258. She was the wife of James and mother of the child later known to the Capital Wasteland's residents as the Lone Wanderer. Alongside James, Catherine was a scientist who worked on Project Purity.
In the mid—2250s, as a member of the science team involved in Project Purity, Catherine befriended and fell in love with the project's chief scientist, James. They welcomed a child on July 13, 2258, but she experienced childbirth complications, resulting in cardiac arrest. Despite James' effort save her, she passed away. Her death affected James deeply, who abandoned Project Purity soon after and traveled with his child to raise them in Vault 101.
She is the mother of the Lone Wanderer and the late wife of James.
Interactions with the player character
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
- Catherine dies in the prologue of the game. She appears during a cutscene that showed the Lone Wanderer's birth, but the only visible thing is her legs and her voice. A holotape recording of James flirting with her called "Better Days" can be located in the Jefferson Memorial's lower levels.
- The storyline of Fallout 3 does not specify her ethnicity or her last name (the NPC used for her was not intended to be seen during normal gameplay).
- In Point Lookout, while intoxicated on the Mother Punga, the Lone Wanderer will find one of the many giant bobbleheads on a medical examination table with a skeleton marked "Mom," balloons, and a party hat. The bobblehead will say "Blech. If my kid looked like that, I’d abandon it too." The skeleton is Catherine, reflecting the lack of maternal presence in the Lone Wanderer's life. Furthermore, the last bobblehead in the vision says, "Dead mother, life in a post-nuclear Wasteland and not a friend in it. Yeah, you aren't exactly blessed."
- She is seen on a photograph next to James in Fallout: New Vegas in Vault 21 in Sarah's bedroom, although their likeness simply seemed to be recycled for that photograph like other Fallout 3 assets were.
- Her favorite quote from the Bible is Revelation 21:6.
- "She was passionate about life, about love. But most of all, most of all she was passionate about you." – James
- "Oh... Oh James... We did it... A son/daughter... Our beautiful son/daughter..."
- "Ohhh... Very strapping... Ha ha ha..."
- "Ohhh... Beautiful... just like his/her Daddy... Ha ha ha..."
- "James? James... Something's... Something's..."
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.86: "Mom (Catherine; deceased)
Your mother died during childbirth, and was one of the scientists attempting to perfect Project Purity, falling in love with James, the leader of the scientists. Aside from her voice (available on Holotape: Better Days), you know little about your mother, except that she suffered cardiac arrest during your birth, and her favorite Bible passage is Revelation 21:6."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- Events of Baby Steps