Split (reason: page can be split. Fallout 76 is a rather long section.)
It has been suggested that this article or section should be split. Please help Nukapedia by discussing this issue on the article's talk page.
- 1 Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics
- 2 Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas
- 3 Fallout 4
- 4 Fallout 76
- 5 References
Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics
The player character will become slower as more weight is put on. When they reach the maximum weight, they become completely weighed down and cannot move until the weight is back under control.
For example, with a starting Strength of 5:
- The Pack Rat perk increases carry weight by 50.
- The Strong Back perk increases carry weight by 50 per rank.
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas
Movement speed is unaffected by one's Carry Weight until the weight of items carried exceeds the total carry weight, at which point one will become overencumbered and unable to run, jump, or fast travel, with the exception of the Long Haul perk in Fallout: New Vegas.
Example: A starting Strength of 5.
- Every added point of Strength increases weight limit by 10 lbs.
- The maximum initial level is capped at 250 lbs without the addition of extra perks.
- The Strong Back perk increases the limit by 50 lbs.
- The Burden to Bear perk can increase this limit by another 50 lbs.
- The Hoarder trait increases the limit by 25 lbs.
- The NCR Courier duster increases carry weight by another 25 lbs.
- Buffout can temporarily increase this limit by another 20 lbs per dose, provided that one has 8 or less Strength points.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, the maximum amount of weight one can carry is 400 lbs.
- Using the console command player.modav, carry weight can be increased to a maximum of 20,106 lbs.
- With the Long Haul perk in Fallout: New Vegas, one can still fast travel while overencumbered.
Movement speed is unaffected by carry weight unless overencumbered, and one is unable to run or fast travel, but can still jump.
Game settings for carrying capacity:
- fAVDCarryWeightBase = 200.0
- fAVDCarryWeightMult = 10.0
- Strong Back increases carrying capacity by up to 50, and also counteracts some of the deficits of being overencumbered by offering the ability to run normally or even fast travel.
- Lone Wanderer increases carrying capacity by 100 when not traveling with a companion (except Dogmeat).
- Buffout and X-cell temporarily increase Strength by 2, giving 20 extra carry weight.
- Any armor with the Fortifying modifier will increase Strength by 1, giving 10 additional carry weight.
- Armor with the Pocketed misc mod adds 5 carry weight when equipped.
- Chest armor with the Pocketed misc adds 10 carry weight instead
- Armor with the Deep pocketed misc mod adds 10 carry weight when equipped.
- Chest armor with the Deep pocketed misc adds 20 Carry Weight instead.
- Any power armor leg piece with the Calibrated misc mod adds 50 carry weight when equipped.
- As of patch 1.5, the base Carry Weight in Survival mode is reduced to 75 lbs.
- Mysterious serum temporarily increases Strength by 5, providing 50 extra carry weight.
- With the addition of the Creation Club backpack, the max carrying capacity possible using chems and legendary clothing is 905 Carry Weight. Requires updating since the updated military backpack creation provides a max increase of 120.
- As of patch 1.6, companions may occasionally arbitrarily gain a much higher carry weight than they would be capable of under any other circumstances. Triggering this can be as simple as repeatedly engaging a trade with the companion, taking items from them, ending the trade, re-initiating a trade and giving items to them until one has determined the bug has occurred or not. Their ability to accept even more items in subsequent trades appears to also be random. This applies to humanoid companions and Dogmeat. [verified]
- Companions will pick up items when commanded to, even when overencumbered, making their carry weight essentially unlimited, so long as the items are first dropped and the companion is told to pick them up. [verified]
Movement speed is unaffected by carry weight unless overencumbered; one can run, fast travel, and jump. Fallout 76 differs in that moving while overencumbered drains action points like sprinting. After all points are used, one's movement will be greatly reduced.
Game settings for carrying capacity:
- fAVDCarryWeightBase = 150.0
- fAVDCarryWeightMult = 5.0
Carry weight is capped to an absolute limit of 1,500 pounds over the player character's current maximum carry weight, though nothing prevents a player character from exceeding this limit. However, there are penalties such as the inability to drop or trade items until carry weight drops below this threshold; dropped items will be destroyed until then. Weight reduction perks can be used to help circumvent this limitation.
With the introduction of Wild Appalachia, player characters who complete The Order of the Tadpole are rewarded with, and become able to craft, a backpack that provides +10/+20/+30/+40/+50/+60 carry weight, at levels 1/10/20/30/40/50, respectively.
The High Capacity mod for the backpack provides an extra +10/+20/+30/+40/+50/+60, totaling to +20/+40/+60/+80/+100/+120 carry weight, at the expense of -10/-20/-30/-40/-50/-60 points of energy and radiation resistance. The other modifications all lower the backpack's carry weight down to +5/+10/+15/+20/+25/+30, while giving other benefits.
Another, smaller backpack increases carry weight by half the amount of a normal backpack. The plan for the small backpack can be found in the Overseer's cache in Morgantown Airport. After learning, the small backpack can be crafted at an armor workbench. While it increases carry weight less than the normal backpack, it is nonetheless useful to increase one's carry weight without the need to complete a lengthy questline.
It provides +5/+10/+15/+20/+25/+30 carry weight, at levels 1/10/20/30/40/50, respectively. This backpack can also be modded with High Capacity, at halved capacities, providing an extra +5/+10/+15/+20/+25/+30, totaling to +10/+20/+30/+40/+50/+60 carry weight, at the same expense of energy and radiation resistance points as the normal backpack.
Several weight perk cards assist in lightening the burden of weight, with higher tier cards reducing more:
- Strength perks:
- Bandolier - Ballistic weapon ammo weighs 45%/90% less.
- Bear Arms - Heavy Guns weigh 30%/60%/90% less.
- Martial Artist - Your melee weapons weigh 20%/40%/60% less, and you can swing them 10%/20%/30% faster.
- Ordnance Express - Explosives weigh 30%/60%/90% less.
- Pack Rat - The weight of all junk items is reduced by 25%/50%/75%.
- Scattershot - Shotguns now weigh 30%/60%/90% less and you reload them 10%/20%/30% faster.
- Strong Back - Gain +10/+20/+30/+40 to carry weight.
- Sturdy Frame - Armor weighs 25%/50% less than normal.
- Traveling Pharmacy - Weights of all Chems (including Stimpaks) are reduced by 30%/60%/90%.
- Intelligence perks:
- Agility perks:
Not to be confused with perks cards in the Strength category, there are perk cards that affect one's total Strength, which in turn affect their carry weight.
- Endurance perks:
- Legendary perks:
- Legendary Strength - +1/+2/+3/+5 STR and +1/+2/+3/+5 STR Perk Points. Perk Points cap at 15.
- Despite not gaining Strength perk points for equipping this card while having allocated 14 SPECIAL points into Strength, one will still receive Strength points and, therefore, be granted with more carry weight.
- Legendary Strength - +1/+2/+3/+5 STR and +1/+2/+3/+5 STR Perk Points. Perk Points cap at 15.
There are a plethora of consumable items a player character may use to modify their carry weight temporarily, with additional effects. Some of these directly change the player character's carry weight, while many of them modify carry weight indirectly by increasing or decreasing the Strength statistic, which in turn changes carry weight according to the formula above.
|Image||Name||S||P||E||C||I||A||L||Carry Weight||Other Effects||Weight|
|Buffout||+2||+2||+25 Max HP||0.25|
|Bufftats||+3||+3||+3||+40 Max HP||0.25|
|Chally's Milk||+1||+12 HP, -25 Rads||0.25|
|Cramburger||+20||+60 HP, +10 Rads||1|
|Cranberry Moonshine||+1||+1||-1||+25 Max HP||1.2|
|Deathclaw Steak||+2||+60 HP, +10 Rads||1.5|
|Deathclaw Wellington||+3||+90 HP, +5 Rads||1|
|Fried Radtoad Legs||+20||+60 HP, +2 Rads||1|
|Grilled Radstag||+20||+60 HP, +10 Rads||1.5|
|Grilled Radtoad||+10 for 30 min||+25 HP, +2 Rads||0.25|
|Grognak & the Ruby Ruins||+1||0.01|
|Grognak the Barbarian 6||-75% Melee Weapon Weight||0.01|
|Grognak the Barbarian 9||+10||0.01|
|Mole Rat Chunks||+1||+25 HP, +4 Rads||0.5|
|Mountain Honey||+1||+1||-1||+25 Max HP||1.2|
|Mystery Meat Pie||+3||+20||+60 HP, +2 Rads||1|
|New River Red Ale||+1||+1||-1||1|
|Oak Holler Lager||+1||+1||-1||1|
|Pepperoni Roll||+30||+20 HP, +2 Rads||0.1|
|Psychobuff||+3||+3||+65 Max HP, +25% Damage||0.25|
|Rad Ant Lager||+50, then -50||1|
|Ribeye Steak||+20||+45 HP, +5 Rads||1|
|Roasted Ant||+10||+25 HP, +2 Rads||0.25|
|Rodgers' Reserve Beer||+2||+2||-2||1|
|Scouts' Life 2||+10||0.01|
|Simple Fern Flower Tea||+1||+10 HP, +2 Rads||0.5|
|Smoked Mirelurk Fillets||+30||+250 HP, +2 Rads||1|
|Steeped Fern Flower Tea||+2||+25 HP, +1 Rad||0.5|
|Stingwing Filet||+2||+45 HP, +5 Rads||0.5|
|Vodka||+1||-1||+25 Max HP||1|
Five mutations affect carry weight:
- Marsupial adds 20 to the player character's carry weight, while additionally providing improved jump height. Its negative effect reduces the player character's Intelligence by 4.
- Bird Bones reduces the player character's Strength by 4, which reduces not only carry weight but melee damage as well. Its positive effect improves the player character's Agility by 4 and slows their fall.
- Eagle Eyes reduces the player character's Strength by 4. Its positive effect improves the player character's Perception by 4 and increases critical damage by 25%.
- Egg Head reduces the player character's Strength and Endurance by 3. Its positive effect improves the player character's Intelligence by 6.
- Herd Mentality increases all SPECIAL stats by 2 when the player character is on a team but reduces those stats by 2 when they are solo.
The Strange in Numbers perk card strengthens mutation benefits by 25% if other members on one's team are mutated as well. It boosts Marsupial's carry weight bonus to 25, as well as further improving its jump height. It will also increase Herd Mentality's SPECIAL stat gain to +3.
Mutations regarding consumption
If affected by the Carnivore mutation, consuming any of the listed meat items above will double the benefits, along with doubled healing and hunger restoration. The nullification of disease chance from consuming meat does nothing here as the meat items listed here are cooked; they do not have chances to inflict diseases.
Additionally, if equipping the Strange in Numbers perk card, the benefits, healing, and hunger restoration are further increased by half; from a bonus multiplier of 2.0 to 2.5. For example, eating smoked mirelurk fillets while being affected by Carnivore and equipping Strange in Numbers will grant the consumer a carry weight bonus of 75, a healing of 625 HP, and a filling hunger restoration of 62.5%.
There are four armor modifications that allow the wearer to carry more items and/or reduce the specific item's weight:
- Pocketed - An armor mod that increases carry weight by 10, for the torso, and 5, for the limbs. Increases weight of armor by 10%.
- Deep Pocketed - An armor mod that increases carry weight by 20, for the torso, and 10, for the limbs. Increases weight of armor by 15%.
- Lighter Build - An armor mod that reduces the weight of armor by 40% and increases AP by 2.
- Ultra-light Build - An armor mod that reduces the weight of armor by 80% and increases AP by 5.
There exists four tiers of underarmor modifications that apply SPECIAL stat and minor resistance bonuses, each tier providing more the higher it is. Various amounts of Strength is granted from five of the seven types of underarmor when modded.
|Underarmor Mod||Underarmor Type||S||P||E||C||I||A||L|
|Treated Lining||Brotherhood of Steel||+6||+4||+2||+1||+1|
|Resistant Lining||Brotherhood of Steel||+8||+6||+3||+1||+2|
|Protective Lining||Brotherhood of Steel||+10||+8||+4||+2||+2|
|Shielded Lining||Brotherhood of Steel||+13||+9||+5||+2||+3|
Weapons and armor can have legendary effects and some effects modify the weight of the starred item itself and/or other items the player character is carrying.
- Weapons may have a third star effect and armor a second star effect of providing +1 Strength.
- Weapons may have a third star effect "Lightweight", which reduces the base weapon weight by 90%. This doesn't provide any weight reduction to any mods on this weapon and can be further reduced, with Bear Arms, Martial Artist, Scattershot, or Packin' Light.
- Armor with the first star effect "Weightless" reduce its own weight by 90% and also can be further reduced, with Sturdy Frame. In addition, Weightless armor does not count against the Chameleon mutation.
- Armor with the first star effect "Unyielding" can add up to 3 to all stats, except Endurance, dependant on how low the player's health is.
- Armor may have one of four third star effects that reduce weight. These effects stack (with perks) up to a cap of 90%:
- Ammo weight reduced by 20%.
- Food, drink, and chem weights reduced by 20%.
- Junk weight reduced by 20%.
- Weapon weight reduced by 20%.
- This stacks with all specific weapon weight perks and the third star effect "Lightweight" in a way that allows the reduction to effectively reach 99%.
In terms of carry weight, power armor sets the Strength of operators to 11, provided their Strength is below 11; useful for those who lack investment into Strength. In addition, components attached to power armor chassis are weightless.
However, any equipped armor beneath the power armor will have its effects nullified, such as those providing bonuses to Strength or carry weight. The operator also may not use unarmed weapons, nullifying use of those providing said bonuses. Power armor users must also have at least one fusion core on them at all times to use the armor properly, increasing one's weight when carrying more fusion cores.
Excavator power armor
From the entire roster of power armor available, the Excavator power armor is unique from the rest, in that it provides 100 carry weight. When equipping power armor that includes a full set of components from the Excavator family, the effect is applied. Its torso also quadruples ores mined from ore veins, except ultracite and uranium ores.
This power armor grants its bonuses in exchange for protective stats; when compared to other power armor, operators will have the least damage and energy resistances of any power armor.
Power armor mods
Like normal armor, power armor can be modified, and two mods are concerned in regards to carry weight:
- Motion-assist servos - A torso mod that increases Strength by 2. Increases weight of component by 10%.
- Calibrated shocks - A leg mod that increases carry weight by 50, totaling to 100 when modded into both legs. Increases weight of component by 20%.
- Patch 18.104.22.168 - Design and gameplay: "Carry Weight: Is now capped to an absolute limit of 1,500 pounds over the character's current maximum carry weight."