- 1 Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics
- 2 Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas
- 3 Fallout 4
- 4 Fallout 76
- 5 References
Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics[edit | edit source]
Your character will become slower as more weight is put on. When your character reaches the maximum weight, he or she becomes completely weighed down and cannot move until the weight is back under control.
Example: A starting Strength of 5.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Pack Rat perk increases carry weight by 50.
- The Strong Back perk increases carry weight by 50 per rank.
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas[edit | edit source]
Movement speed is unaffected by your character's Carry Weight until the weight of items carried exceeds your total carry weight, at which point your character will become overencumbered and unable to run, jump, or fast travel, with the exception of the Long Haul perk in New Vegas.
Example: A starting Strength of 5.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Every added point of Strength increases your weight limit by 10 lbs.
- The maximum initial level is capped at 250 lbs without the addition of extra perks.
- The Strong Back perk increases the limit by 50 lbs.
- The Burden to Bear perk can increase this limit by another 50 lbs.
- The Hoarder trait increases the limit by 25 lbs.
- The NCR Courier duster increases carry weight by another 25 lbs.
- Buffout can temporarily increase this limit by another 20 lbs per dose, provided that you have 8 or less Strength points.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, the maximum amount of weight you can carry is 400 lbs.
- Using the console command "player.modav" carry weight can be increased to a max of 20,106 lbs.
- If you have the Long Haul perk in New Vegas, you can still fast-travel while over-encumbered.
- More information about weight and how to manage it is on the Weight article.
Fallout 4[edit | edit source]
Largely similar to Fallout 3, movement speed is unaffected by carry weight unless overencumbered, and are unable to run or fast travel. However, unlike past games, it is possible to jump.
Game settings for carrying capacity:
- fAVDCarryWeightBase = 200
- fAVDCarryWeightMult = 10
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Strong Back increases carrying capacity by up to 50, and also counteracts some of the deficits of being overencumbered by offering the ability to run normally or even fast travel.
- Lone Wanderer increases carrying capacity by 100 when not traveling with a companion (except Dogmeat).
- Buffout and X-cell temporarily increase Strength by 2, giving 20 extra carry weight.
- Any armor with the Fortifying modifier will increase Strength by 1, giving 10 additional carry weight.
- Armor with the Pocketed misc mod adds 5 carry weight when equipped.
- Chest armor with the Pocketed misc adds 10 carry weight instead
- Armor with the Deep pocketed misc mod adds 10 carry weight when equipped.
- Chest armor with the Deep pocketed misc adds 20 Carry Weight instead.
- Any power armor leg piece with the Calibrated misc mod adds 50 carry weight when equipped.
- As of patch 1.5, the base Carry Weight in Survival mode is reduced to 75 lbs.
- Mysterious serum temporarily increases Strength by 5, providing 50 extra carry weight.
- With the addition of the Creation Club backpack, the max carrying capacity possible using drugs and legendary clothing is 905 Carry Weight. Requires updating since the updated military backpack creation provides a max increase of 120.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC As of patch 1.6 companions may occasionally arbitrarily gain a much higher carry weight than they would be capable of under any other circumstances. Triggering this can be as simple as repeatedly engaging a trade with the companion, taking items from them, ending the trade, re-initiating a trade and giving items to them until one has determined the bug has occurred or not. Their ability to accept even more items in subsequent trades appears to also be random. This applies to humanoid companions and Dogmeat. [verified]
- Xbox One Playstation 4 Companions will pick up items when commanded to even when overencumbered, making their carry weight essentially unlimited so long as the items are first dropped and the companion is told to pick them up.[verified]
Fallout 76[edit | edit source]
Largely similar to Fallout 4, movement speed is unaffected by carry weight unless overencumbered; you are able to run or fast travel, and can still jump. Fallout 76 differs in that moving while overencumbered drains action points like sprinting. After all points are used, the character's movement will then be greatly reduced. The starting carry weight also differs because Strength starts at 1 for each player character.
Carry weight is capped to an absolute limit of 1,500 pounds over the player character's current maximum carry weight.
Backpacks[edit | edit source]
With the introduction of Wild Appalachia, player characters who complete The Order of the Tadpole are rewarded with, and become able to craft, a backpack that provides +10/+20/+30/+40/+50/+60 carry weight, at levels 1/10/20/30/40/50, respectively.
One modification, namely High Capacity, for the backpack provides an extra +10/+20/+30/+40/+50/+60, totaling to +20/+40/+60/+80/+100/+120 carry weight, at the expense of -10/-20/-30/-40/-50/-60 points of energy and radiation resistance. The other modifications all lower the backpack's carry weight down to +5/+10/+15/+20/+25/+30, while giving other benefits.
There is another, smaller backpack, introduced in Nuclear Winter, that increases carry weight by half the amount of a normal backpack. The plan for the small backpack can be found in the Overseer's cache in Morgantown Airport. After learning, the small backpack can be crafted at an armor workbench. While it increases carry weight less than the normal backpack, it is nonetheless useful to increase one's carry weight, though it is recommended to acquire the normal backpack.
It provides +5/+10/+15/+20/+25/+30 carry weight, at levels 1/10/20/30/40/50, respectively. This backpack can also be modded with High Capacity, at halved capacities, providing an extra +5/+10/+15/+20/+25/+30, totaling to +10/+20/+30/+40/+50/+60 carry weight, at the same expense of energy and radiation resistance points as the normal backpack.
[edit | edit source]
Several perk cards assist in lightening the burden of weight, with higher tier cards reducing more:
- Strength perks:
- Bandolier - Ballistic weapon ammo weighs 45%/90% less.
- Bear Arms - Heavy Guns weigh 30%/60%/90% less.
- Martial Artist - Your melee weapons weigh 20%/40%/60% less, and you can swing them 10%/20%/30% faster.
- Ordnance Express - Explosives weigh 30%/60%/90% less.
- Pack Rat - The weight of all junk items is reduced by 25%/50%/75%.
- Scattershot - Shotguns now weigh 30%/60%/90% less and you reload them 10%/20%/30% faster.
- Strong Back - Gain +10/+20/+30/+40 to carry weight.
- Sturdy Frame - Armor weighs 25%/50% less than normal.
- Traveling Pharmacy - Weights of all Chems (including Stimpaks) are reduced by 30%/60%/90%.
- Intelligence perks:
- Agility perks:
[edit | edit source]
Not to be confused with perks cards in the Strength category, there are a couple of perk cards that affect one's total Strength, which in turn affect their carry weight:
- Endurance perks:
Consumables[edit | edit source]
There are a plethora of consumable items a player character may use to modify their carry weight temporarily, with additional effects. Some of these directly change the player character's carry weight, while many of them modify carry weight indirectly by increasing or decreasing the Strength statistic, which in turn changes carry weight according to the formula above.
|Image||Name||S||P||E||C||I||A||L||Carry Weight||Other Effects||Weight|
|Buffout||+2||+2||+25 Max HP||0.25|
|Bufftats||+3||+3||+3||+40 Max HP||0.25|
|Chally's Milk||+1||+12 HP, -25 Rads||0.25|
|Cramburger||+20||+60 HP, +10 Rads||1|
|Cranberry Moonshine||+1||+1||-1||+25 Max HP||1.2|
|Deathclaw Steak||+2||+60 HP, +10 Rads||1.5|
|Deathclaw Wellington||+3||+90 HP, +5 Rads||1|
|Fried Radtoad Legs||+20||+60 HP, +2 Rads||1|
|Grilled Radstag||+20||+60 HP, +10 Rads||1.5|
|Grilled Radtoad||+20||+25 HP, +2 Rads||0.25|
|Grognak & the Ruby Ruins||+1||0.01|
|Grognak the Barbarian 6||-75% Melee Weapon Weight||0.01|
|Grognak the Barbarian 9||+10||0.01|
|Mole Rat Chunks||+1||+25 HP, +4 Rads||0.5|
|Mountain Honey||+1||+1||-1||+25 Max HP||1.2|
|Mystery Meat Pie||+3||+20||+60 HP, +2 Rads||1|
|New River Red Ale||+1||+1||-1||1|
|Oak Holler Lager||+1||+1||-1||1|
|Pepperoni Roll||+30||+20 HP, +2 Rads||0.1|
|Psychobuff||+3||+3||+65 Max HP, +25% Damage||0.25|
|Rad Ant Lager||+50, then -50||1|
|Ribeye Steak||+20||+45 HP, +5 Rads||1|
|Roasted Ant||+10||+25 HP, +2 Rads||0.25|
|Rodgers' Reserve Beer||+2||+2||-2||1|
|Scouts' Life 2||+10||0.01|
|Simple Fern Flower Tea||+1||+10 HP, +2 Rads||0.5|
|Smoked Mirelurk Fillets||+30||+250 HP, +2 Rads||1|
|Steeped Fern Flower Tea||+2||+25 HP, +1 Rad||0.5|
|Stingwing Filet||+2||+45 HP, +5 Rads||0.5|
|Vodka||+1||-1||+25 Max HP||1|
Armor mods[edit | edit source]
Like in Fallout 4, there are four armor modifications that allow the wearer to carry more items or modify the specific item's weight:
- Pocketed - An armor mod that increases carry weight by 10, for the torso, and 5, for the limbs.
- Deep Pocketed - An armor mod that increases carry weight by 20, for the torso, and 10, for the limbs.
- Lighter Build - An armor mod that reduces the weight of armor and increases AP by 2.
- Ultra-light Build - An armor mod that reduces twice as much weight as the Lighter Build mod does and increases AP by 5.
Mutations[edit | edit source]
Five of the mutations in the game affect carry weight.
- Marsupial adds 20 to the player character's carry weight, while additionally providing improved jump height. Its negative effect reduces the player character's Intelligence by 4.
- Bird Bones reduces the player character's Strength by 4, which reduces not only carry weight but melee damage as well. Its positive effect improves the player character's Agility by 4 and slows their fall.
- Eagle Eyes reduces the player character's Strength by 4. Its positive effect improves the player character's Perception by 4 and increases critical damage by 25%.
- Egg Head reduces the player character's Strength and Endurance by 3. Its positive effect improves the player character's Intelligence by 6.
- Herd Mentality increases all SPECIAL stats by 2 when the player character is on a team but reduces those stats by 2 when they are solo.
Legendary effects[edit | edit source]
Weapons and armor that are starred have legendary effects and some effects modify the weight of the starred item itself and/or other items the player character is carrying.
- Weapons with 3 stars and armor with at least 2 stars may have the modifier of providing 1 Strength.
- Weapons with 3 stars may have the minor modifier of reducing its own weight by 90% and can be further reduced, with Bear Arms, Martial Artist, Scattershot, or Packin' Light.
- Armor with the "Weightless" prefix reduces its own weight by 90% and also can be further reduced, with Sturdy Frame. In addition, Weightless armor does not count against the Chameleon mutation.
- Armor with the "Unyielding" prefix adds 3 to all stats, except Endurance when low health.
- Armor with 3 stars may have one of four minor modifiers that reduce weight. These effects stack up (with perks) to a cap of 90%:
- Ammo weight reduced by 20%.
- Weapon weights reduced by 20%.
- For weapons with the minor modifier that reduce weight by 90%, this 20% is applied after 90% but before weight reduction perks, making it possible to reduce weapon weight by up to 99%.
- Food, drink, and chem weights reduced by 20%.
- Junk weight reduced by 20%.
My stash box[edit | edit source]
My stash boxes share the same inventory across Appalachia, meaning that any deposited item can be withdrawn from any box, thus objects do not need to necessarily be carried across the map. The boxes can found at railroad stations, Red Rocket truck stops, or placed at any C.A.M.P. or workshop. Weight-related perks do not affect the weights of items inside it. The current carry weight of the stash box is 800.
References[edit | edit source]
- Patch 220.127.116.11 - Design and gameplay: "Carry Weight: Is now capped to an absolute limit of 1,500 pounds over the character's current maximum carry weight."