|For an overview of shotgun models, see shotgun.|
A shotgun, also called a "scattergun," is a firearm designed to shoot a multitude of lead or steel balls of varying sizes, greatly increasing the weapon's hit potential. This makes it very effective at hunting game.[Non-game 1] However, the accuracy and power found at close range starts to diminish as the target gets farther away. Shotguns designed for the military's use are often called "combat shotguns."
This is a double-barreled shotgun that sports barrels mounted in an over-and-under configuration. It features several signs of wear and decay following extensive use in the desert and has been maintained in a makeshift manner. This is especially clear around the buttstock, where the shoulder pad has been secured with flexible, thin metal strips and duct-tape. The cracked fore-end is held to the rusty barrels with zip-ties and scraps of tightly-wrapped leather. Furthermore, they appear to have been sawed-off.
It can be a bit confusing when trying to aim with the iron sights. The target has to be placed behind the screw that is somewhat blocking the Courier's view. There are four horizontal marks on the screw; the target needs to be behind the second mark from the top. Because of that, and its large spread, this makes it very difficult to utilize slugs effectively.
The caravan shotgun can fire a total of about 695 standard shells, the equivalent of 348 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Standard, 3/0 buck, slug & pulse slug||695||348|
|Magnum & 3/0 buck Magnum||604||302|
- Sturdy caravan shotgun
- Cass's caravan shotgun, a unique non-playable caravan shotgun used by Cass. It only differs from the standard caravan shotgun in its use of companion ammunition.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Sturdy caravan shotgun||50|
- Aerotech Office Park - inside suite 200, on top of the fallen bookshelf to the left as you enter.
- Sold from various traders and merchants at higher levels.
- Caleb McCaffery carries one.
- May be carried by escaped convicts.
- One is given in the quest Beyond the Beef for completing the bad Karma option.
- One is rewarded upon joining the Kings.
- Equipped by many Fiends.
- Carried by members of Caesar's Legion at The Fort.
- Most of the NCR troopers at Camp Forlorn Hope are issued caravan shotguns, in place of service rifles.
- Crimson Caravan guards will occasionally carry this weapon.
- Gun Runner guards at the 188 Trading Post carry them.
- Trudy carries one in the quest Run Goodsprings Run.
- Sierra Madre Villa - when heading to the Villa police station you will come across a skeleton with a knife spear by a fountain. Nearby is a Dean's Secret Stash and next to that is a caravan shotgun and some 20 gauge shells.
- Lobotomites in the Big MT (Lv.20-30) may carry one.
- This weapon has a Strength requirement of 3, which is quite low.
- Since the rear sight is quite obtrusive, it completely blocks the player's view of the front sight, which may make it difficult to aim at longer ranges when aiming down the sights.
- Fallout 2d20 Rulebook p. 98: "Before the Great War, double-barrel shotguns were mainly used for hunting and home defense, and this has changed little. They are break-action and come in an either a side-by-side or over-and-under barrel configuration. Simple to make and maintain, these shotguns are seen frequently in the Commonwealth and the rest of the wasteland."