During the Great War, the bombs forced the Searchlight police department to divert a convoy carrying nuclear waste from San Onofre into Searchlight, so that the waste could be safely stored. The trucks could be parked at the fire station without exposing them to nuclear blasts that would turn the sealed, secure fuel casks transported on the flatbeds into massive dirty bombs.
The spent nuclear fuel rods remained there for over two centuries, with nobody trying to move them for fear of rupturing the casings. When the New California Republic deployed in force to the Mojave, Searchlight was chosen as a site for a military base. Camp Searchlight was established, becoming a major communications and logistics hub for the NCR Army. However, this made it a target for the Legion. Vulpes Inculta devised a plan that involved using frumentarii to first intercept shipments meant for the camp, depriving the troops of necessary supplies and stockpiling them for later use by the Legion. As the supply issues worsened, tensions emerged among the camp's senior staff, and the frumentarii waited for an opening in the camp's defenses. The opportunity came soon, as the patrol routes were changed again for operational security reasons. As usual, gaps opened in the patrol routes as the troops had to get used to the new schedule.
Vulpes sent in a small group of legionaries, ordering them to infiltrate the fire station and unseal the nuclear fuel casks, unleashing lethal levels of radiation on the camp. The legionaries were killed instantly, while NCR troops were killed outright, turned into ghouls or died soon after of radiation sickness. Only a handful of troops out on patrol survived, rallying under First Sergeant Astor. In the meantime, a task force under centurion Aurelius of Phoenix landed at Cottonwood Cove, establishing a beachhead on the western side of the Colorado River and immediately launching raids on both the surviving NCR troops and especially supply and trade caravans heading up to New Vegas. Further legionary groups moved up north and west as time went by, targeting Nelson and Nipton to lay the groundwork for the Second Battle of Hoover Dam.
Camp Searchlight has several buildings which can be entered, all of which are radioactive as well as the town itself. The buildings which can be entered include: a schoolhouse with a few golden geckos, a house containing the non-hostile ghoul Private Edwards and a church in the west containing Logan and his prospector companions who are looting the town for the Crimson Caravan Company. Upon entering Searchlight fire station (where the radioactive canisters were originally opened, causing the town's demise), the Courier will immediately encounter a radscorpion queen and several normal radscorpions. To enter the firehouse, one needs to either kill or join Logan, as he holds the keys. There are several terminals outside that control the turret defense system.
Astor's recon campEdit
The devastating radiation attack by the Legion on Camp Searchlight has pushed the surviving NCR soldiers back to minimum safe distance. The fury and emotion is still raw, as First Sergeant Astor leads his men on patrol, and witnesses what his brothers in arms have turned into. In the modest camp lies First Sergeant Astor's log; it reads as if the man blames himself, and is ready to drop.
- Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual, 2 mini nukes or 3 Holy Frag Grenades down in the gecko-filled Searchlight church basement. The book is on the floor at the foot of some metal shelves.
- Knock-Knock - Unique fire axe in righthand corner of the bathroom stall with the skeleton in it, upstairs in the Searchlight fire station (Only obtainable after starting the quest Wheel of Fortune or killing Logan and taking the keys).
- Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap in the fire station. Upstairs in the northeast corner in the kitchen area, on a table next to two empty bottles.
- Seven fire helmets in the fire station - Five on the ground floor on the shelves, one upstairs in the Chief's office on a shelf, and one in the bathroom stall where Knock-Knock is found.
- Legion orders - In the fire station, found on two recruit legionaries in the garage.
- Police hat - In the police station, in the room with the ammunition boxes and wooden boxes.
- The background music is City of the Dead which was originally used for Necropolis in Fallout, as well as Navarro and Vault 15 in Fallout 2.
- "REVELATION 9:6" is printed on the board outside of the Church of Searchlight, with the "L" being an upside down "T." This verse reads "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them." This would seem to be a reference to the ghouls and feral ghouls that, although irradiated to the point where any living thing might be expected to die, still continue to live out their tortured existence.
- Multiple Searchlight firetrucks appear in the Divide, in the Lonesome Road add-on.
- If the Courier follows Vulpes Inculta's recruit group, they will pass by here and get into a fight with the NCR troops around 5:30 p.m.
- Camp Searchlight can be seen without the green haze in the E3 2010 trailer at one minute in.
- Vulpes Inculta may have learned of the presence of the trucks from the one at Cottonwood Cove Overlook, as it was a part of the convoy the other two trucks were in.
Camp Searchlight appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Searchlight is a real-life location in southern Clark County, NV and is located 50 miles south of Las Vegas.
- Searchlight was implemented and written by Denise McMurry, based on a concept outlined by Joshua Sawyer.
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Logan will not talk with the character. Also, he does not have the Firehall key when pick-pocketed or killed, if having already killed other characters involved in obtaining Knock-Knock. Note: if killed before killing Boxcars while on the Wheel of Fortune quest, his body should have both keys on it.[verified]
- Playstation 3 If player discovers and raids the supply cave before approaching Logan, it will be impossible to proceed with the quest, only if the 4 radiation suits have been repaired to make one radiation suit already.[verified]
- Xbox 360 Two firetrucks, both stationed behind the Camp Searchlight fire station, don't have fully developed physical properties. The back end of each the trucks have no physical properties what so ever (you can walk straight through them) however the front cab on both trucks are like any other vehicle within Fallout: New Vegas.[verified]