Cait was born in 2261 to a distant and abusive family of Irish1 descent. She had tried to run away from her parents twice; the first time, she was locked outside in a shed, the second time, they broke one of her legs. On her eighteenth birthday, Cait's parents sold her into slavery. For five years, she stole small sums of bottlecaps from her owners, until she had enough to buy her own freedom. In a pique of rage, she returned home to seek vengeance on her mother and father.
At some point after she left home, she began using psycho, developing an incurable addiction. Sometime later, she arrived at the Combat Zone in Boston, and was hired by owner Tommy Lonegan as a cage fighter, soon becoming a strong and ruthless fighter. In 2287, a raider gang moved into the area, which then required Cait to buy friends to make life easier, making the cage fighter mistrustful of selfless offers of kindness.
Sometime later, the Sole Survivor arrives at the Combat Zone just as Cait is winning a match and subsequently interrupts the rest of the event. After the Sole Survivor defeats the raiders in the building, Tommy discusses Cait's drug addiction and offers them Cait's contract.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the * Trigger Rush perk.|
|This character is a doctor.||
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Effects of player's actions
- Maxed approval with Cait grants the Sole Survivor the Trigger Rush perk, which increases Action Point regeneration when the player character's health is below 25%.
- Cait is a potential candidate for romance, an option that unlocks after reaching the highest level of affinity.
Range of interests
Cait can be used to pick locks of any tier. To do so only guide her to the nearest lock. This will take some time, depending on the difficulty. She needs to have bobby pins in her inventory to do so.
- She will try to comfort the player character if taken to the corpse of Nate/Nora in Vault 111.
- Cait will dislike all four of the first set of dialogue options during the Minutemen quests to help settlements with raiders.
- Cait will actively use Psycho, Jet, RadAway and other chems in her inventory. Since it was explained she was an addict when meeting her, it might be beneficial to keep her stocked up as she appears to get friendly very quickly, and it might improve her usefulness in fights.
- If Cait has any Psycho or Jet, one can sometimes see her using it before completing her personal quest.
- Although not always, Cait may react negatively after completing her personal quest "Benign Intervention" if the player character uses chems in front of her. She will berate them for being a "hypocrite" for using them after helping her to cure her Psycho addiction.
- The Sole Survivor may raise Cait's affection level by removing their own clothing and fast traveling between safe locations.
- Cait likes when the player character gets naked. Cait's affection level can be quickly raised using Home Plate in the Diamond City market by repeatedly exiting the house, sitting in a chair for two hours and then re-entering the house and sleeping for two hours in a bed. The affection level will be raised both when exiting and entering the house.
- Cait likes when the Sole Survivor drinks hard alcoholic beverages (bourbon, rum, vodka, whiskey and wine). Drinking before sleeping and before waiting will speed up the process.
- Cait will disapprove of joining any of the factions until the second act of the main story when the Brotherhood of Steel comes in. After this she will no longer disapprove of joining the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Cait asks Takahashi to serve her a drink on their first meeting, but she doesn't get it as Takahashi only serves noodles in the Diamond City market.
- Cait's dialogue while exploring several of the vaults indicates that she is already familiar with the Vault-Tec experiments and the true purpose of the vault network.
- When replaced by certain companions, Cait is prone to make flirtatious comments, such as Piper, for whom she will say it's "too bad they can't make it a threesome," or Deacon and MacCready, whom she refers to as "handsome." She also tells Hancock that if she ever decides to "go ghoul," he'll be the one she calls.
- Without completing her personal quest "Benign Intervention", the maximum level of affinity that can be reached with her is "999". This means that to be able to get her perk "Trigger Rush", the player has to complete her quest first.
- "You think I inject myself with all that shite and drink myself drunk because I’m a "tough Irish gal?""
- "Heh. I dunno. Seemed quite the performance from where I was standin'."
- "Rather be off murderin' a pint, but this'll do."
- "Sure. Be glad to take...I mean hold some stuff for you."
- "We'd move faster if you'd keep your eyes on the road and off me arse."
- "Only thing better than gettin' pissed is pickin' a fight. Am I right?"
- "Oh sure, make me carry more of your junk!"
- "What's yours is mine... right darlin'?"
- "I'm all for takin' all we can get, but you're lookin' a little weighed down there."
- "Aww, and here I thought you wanted to snuggle."
- "I'm glad ya took me on. Question is... can you hold on to me?"
- "Damn rain is soakin' right through me clothes." – during rain
- "Rounding up a bunch of escaped synths is about as much fun as catchin' radroaches. Hope you have fun with that."
- "Raiders, super mutants, shamblers... you name it, they call the city home."
- "Not bad... remind me to give you some pointers sometime." – after the Sole Survivor picks a lock
- "I think we should be staying as far away from that reactor as possible" – After taking damage from Vault 95 reactor
- "Uggh, got capped in the knee!"
- "That clicking from yoir Pip-Boy? Probably not a good thing." – When being radiated
- "What am I? A bank? *sigh*"
- "Unless the next bloke we run into is armed with a can opener, I'd say we're good to go." – When you enter power armor
- "Good job, leadfoot! Why don't I just shoot both of us in the head now and save us the trouble?" – When stepping on a mine
- "Maybe we should rest here for a while. Place is built like a fortress" – Above Vault 95
- "I know this must be difficult for you... I... I'm here if you need to talk." if taken to Nate/Nora's corpse in Vault 111.
- "Don't let this whole soldier thing go to your head. Ask me to salute and all you'll be seein' is my middle finger." – After joining the Brotherhood of Steel
- "I'd love to mount a deathclaw head on my wall. If I had a wall." – After killing a Deathclaw
- "Don't look at me that way, you dirty little mole rat." – When dismissing Dogmeat to travel with her
- "Time to go shoppin'. (rarely)"
- When traveling naked:
- "Wow. Well, that doesn't leave much to the imagination now, does it?"
- "Hope you're not expectin' me to take my kit off too. I'm not that easy."
- After committing to a close relationship:
- "I'm closer to you than anyone else in my life. What more can anyone ask?"
- "There's nowhere else I'd rather be than right here, at your side."
- "My heart, my treasure, my love. All for you."
- "If you're feelin' tired, we could always find a bed."
- "I'm havin' some pretty naughty thoughts about you right now, so I'd say we're doin' pretty damn good."
- When Lover's Embrace is activated:
- "Ow. I think I pulled a muscle or somethin'."
- "Rise and shine, love."
- "All this rest is making me tired."
- "You have a good sleep? I know I did."
- When at a scenic location:
- "Well, this is nice for a change."
- "How can something this beautiful exist in such a fucked up world?"
- "Maybe I'm comin' down with somethin', but this place looks incredible."
- Comments on locations:
- "Hard to feel like a kid again when you think about how many of them died when the war started." – When at a playground
- "I know this sounds crazy, but... well... this place is givin' me the creeps." – at Parsons State Insane Asylum)
- "Tommy tried to introduce scenery into the matches at the Combat Zone. Took about five minutes before we startin' usin' them for weapons." – At the upper level of Trinity Church
- "They used to cure people in places like this? What a waste of space." – in a hospital
- "I can't believe people had to pay to see a doctor." – In a hospital
- "These last stands never hold. You're not gonna catch me paintin' myself into a corner like this." – at the Revere satellite array
- "Spent me childhood livin' in trailers like this. Of course, me parents made me sleep outside." – approaching Fiddler's Green Trailer Estates
- "They used to make an amazin' drink with tarberries at the Combat Zone. Tasted awful, but would knock you out after a few sips." – at The Slog
- "If there were so many pre-war libraries, why did these people end up making such foolish decisions?" – in a library
- "Don't tell me we're here for the view." – Atop a skyscraper
- "Lesson learned, never play chicken with a drawbridge." – At Wreck of the USS Riptide
- "What's with these weird metal stairs?" – At Fallon's department store
- "You wouldn't catch me dead at one of these support meetings. Ugh." – at Vault 95's overseer office
- "I don't understand these Minutemen. Why would you bother helping a bunch of lowlife settlers and farmers for free?" – at The Castle
- "School. What a waste. I learned everything I know from the bathroom walls." – at Shaw High School
- "I heard you can get anything from these fellas. Time to start shopping for some goodies." – Bunker Hill
- "They... they were keepin' babies down here? Oh... oh God." – At Trinity Church
- "You always take me to the nicest places." – When in the Shaw High School kitchen
- "Pff. I don't see what the big deal is... anyone can write stuff down and claim it's a "work of art."" – At Walden Pond
- "I don't know, I kind of like these paintings. Feels good knowin' someone out there is more miserable than me." – At Pickman Gallery
- "When I was nine, I stole a comic book from a caravan dealer. Must have read the damn thing a hundred times before me parents took it away." – At Hubris Comics
- "Brotherhood of Steel? Sounds like a video nasty."
- "I've been through my share of markets. Sometimes I get desperate and lookin' for the cooking sherry. Know what I'm saying?" – in the Super Duper Mart
- "If anyone came through here recently, then they havent left a trace through all this dust." – When in ruined/abandoned areas
- "Looks like the airport took a direct hit during the war." – When at Boston Airport
- "I'm home. I'm finally home." – When in the Shamrock Taphouse
- When swapping Cait for:
- Piper: "You two have fun together, Piper. Too bad we can't make it a threesome." to which Piper replies: "Never gonna happen, Cait."
- Curie: "Gonna replace me with the egghead, eh? Well, good luck in a firefight." to which Curie replies: "No need to worry, Mademoiselle Cait. My offensive capabilities are quite formidable."
- Danse: "There's nothing quite like the smell of power armor grease and testosterone." to which Danse replies: "The aroma is rather... pungent."
- Deacon: "Deacon... Where you been all me life, handsome?" to which Deacon replies: "Waiting for you, beautiful."
- Hancock: "I’ll tell you what, Hancock. If I ever decide to go Ghoul... you’re the first one I’m lookin’ up." to which Hancock replies: "I'll be countin' the days."
- Codsworth: "If you’d rather travel with this bucket of bolts, fine by me. You know where to find me." to which Codsworth replies: "Charmed as always, Miss Cait."
- Nick Valentine: "All right, Nicky, watch yourself out there." to which Nick replies: "Don't worry, Cait. I will."
- MacCready: "Well, hey there handsome. Watch this guy/gal for me, will you? He/She loves to get himself/herself into trouble." to which MacCready replies: "For you, Cait... I'd do anything."
- Preston Garvey: "You really want that do-gooder watch your back? Suit yourself." to which Preston replies: "One of these days you'll finally realize that the world doesn't revolve around you, Cait."
- Strong: "I need you to keep this one alive, Strong." to which Strong replies: "Don't worry, Strong smash enemy."
Cait appears only in Fallout 4.
- PC Cait's quest might not trigger after her confession about her addiction. Taking another companion, sending her back to a settlement, and then talking with her should trigger the quest. (It may have to do with her being flagged as a companion) For more info about this bug, read Benign Intervention.[verified]
- PC Cait will talk about wanting to "lower the dosage" if she thinks she is being followed in combat after Vault 95.[verified]
- PC During Cait's companion quest, Cait may begin to randomly collapse as if incapacitated during the dialogue. This will continue following completion of the quest.[verified]
- PC Ordering Cait to pick a floor safe when there is an object between the safe and Cait may sometimes cause her to pace aimlessly around the area.[verified]