| || This page is about the weapon that is featured in Fallout: New Vegas. For the version that features in Fallout 2, see Avenger minigun (Fallout 2).|
For an overview of minigun models in the Fallout series of games, see Minigun.
Rockwell designed the 5mm CZ57 Avenger as the replacement for their aging CZ53 personal minigun. The Avenger's design improvements include improved gel-fin cooling and chromium plated barrel-bores, giving it a greater range and lethality. It also has an ammo capacity of 120x 5mm round like the earlier versions of the CZ53 model. Later models of CZ57 have a high-speed motor, a cage underneath to put the ammo box and used in combination with a backpack.
The CZ57 Avenger minigun is a unique version of the regular minigun. In comparison, it deals slightly more damage per shot than the regular counterpart. This is further augmented by a vastly greater rate of fire, giving it the highest damage-per-second of any weapon in Fallout: New Vegas. Additionally, the weapons spread is reduced to just over half of that of the normal minigun, giving it better accuracy over longer distances.
The standard minigun holds twice as much ammunition in a belt than the CZ57 Avenger, giving the CZ57 Avenger only 4 seconds of continuous fire before needing to reload, but this does reduce the overall weight of the weapon from 25 pounds to 18 pounds. The name and model of the Avenger is also printed on the side of the ammunition pack.
Like most unique weapons, weapon modifications cannot be used on the CZ57 Avenger. By default, it comes with the high-speed motor modification already added. It may do damage to the player character if dropped.
|Standard, HP, & AP||7995||67|
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Picking up the weapon or having it in one's inventory can cause the game to hang on a black screen and subsequently freeze the system. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 It's possible that the Avenger or the prospector may not spawn correctly and not be in the truck at all. Before giving up because of this, be sure to check companion's inventories. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 There is a series of sound queuing issues with this weapon, from sounding out of sync with the animation to no sound at all. [verified]
- Xbox 360 After the 1.3 update, accessing the dead prospector's inventory (or either of the metal boxes nearby) may freeze the console. [verified]
- PC Rounds fired from the CZ57 do not count for the "Click" challenge. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Occasionally, once you run out of ammunition, you will not reload. This can be fixed by switching to a different weapon and back to the CZ57. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Like most big weapons in the game, if given to a companion and they use it, it might result in getting it shot off their hands dropping it and losing it. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 - Occasionally, the Avenger will not initiate spin-up sound and immediately start losing ammo before actually shooting. This can cause a large ammo problem. [verified]
- PC Sometimes, if put in a companion's inventory, the CZ57 Avenger will be removed from the game entirely.[verified]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 In-game description for the Avenger minigun from Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics. 
- ↑ The "CZ57" designation was first mentioned in Fallout: New Vegas.
- ↑ J.E. Sawyer on formspring when asked about the visual differences between the Fallout 2 Avenger and the Fallout: New Vegas CZ57 Avenger.