BADTFL offices were responsible for issuing special permits for the civilian use of combat armor, because this kind of equipment was designated for military and police use. It also issued firearms licenses and conducted firearms license qualification and compliance inspections, such as for laser weaponry.
The agency also involved itself in preventing and apprehending gun runners and rings throughout the nation, with a notable bust occurring in 2075. However, the agency was not without corruption, as an Appalachian drug kingpin was able to utilize their contacts within the agency to deal with a corrupt police officer attempting to get them forced out of the region.
Operation Winter's End
The BADTFL was actively involved in the investigation of Eddie Winter, known as Operation Winter's End . Unknown to other agencies such as the Boston Police Department, Winter was working with the bureau to incriminate his associates, in exchange for immunity. Operation Winter's End was solely a distraction to make it seem that Winter was the only one under investigation. However, the investigation was not without losses. Jennifer Lands, the fiancé of lead detective Nick Valentine, was killed. The bureau picked up intelligence of increased chatter from Winter's associates regarding the whereabouts of Lands. Seniors in the bureau decided against putting the couple in witness protection in order not to compromise the investigation.
Behind the scenes
- The Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers is a play on the real world Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- According to a Vault13.net interview with Chris Taylor, 10mm was the standard ammunition caliber of the BADTFL while the military was primarily concerned with energy weapons.
- BADTFL Regional Office front.jpg
- Boston Bugle building terminal entries; Article 2
- Vault Dweller's Survival Guide p.5-17: "Combat Armor is advanced personal armor for the 22nd century police officer or military grunt. This is about the best armor a Vault Dweller is likely to see in their lifetime. Combat Armor is highly effective against most types of damage, is light weight (for it’s protective value), and is, unfortunately, not available without a special permit. Interested parties should contact the BADTFL office near them."
- The name of the agency and real-life auspices.
- BADTFL regional office terminal entries; Terminal, Prisoner 2AA6701
- BADTFL regional office terminal entries; Terminal, Prisoner 4CA8712
- Investigator's cabin article
- Visit with Officer Whitehead
- We are done