|For an overview of lever-action rifle models, see Lever-action rifle.|
"Brush gun" is an informal umbrella term used to refer to any large-caliber, lever-action hunting carbine. The name refers to the fact that these carbines are designed to be handled easily in brush,[Non-game 1] or in any tight spaces where a long-barreled rifle would be unwieldy or impractical. Brush guns are chambered for large cartridges powerful enough to take down big game at close to medium range.[Non-game 2]
While the heavy caliber and shortened barrel are incompatible with long-range accuracy, they bring significant improvements to the weapon's speed of handling, damage per round, and rate of fire.[Non-game 3]
One of the main rifles of the NCR Veteran Rangers, the brush gun is a lever-action rifle firing .45-70 Gov't ammunition. The brush gun has two types of sights on it, the default sight is semi-buckhorn iron sight but has also been equipped with a diopter aperture sight.
Due to the gun's tubular magazine, it is reloaded by hand one bullet at a time, allowing the player character to interrupt reloading mid-way. This allows the weapon to be fired before reloading is complete.
High damage output, low spread, and a moderate firing rate make this gun a very powerful and accurate weapon. It chambers the .45-70 Gov't round, one of the rarest ammunition types in the game. In spite of this, the brush gun uses this ammunition quite efficiently: it has the highest damage per shot and damage per second of all the weapons that use this ammunition. The iron sights are somewhat large and obstructive, meaning that it is difficult to track fast-moving enemies like cazadores. When loaded with hand loaded semi-wadcutter rounds, this can be a very effective weapon to use against high-level targets, such as deathclaws and super mutants.
The brush gun can fire a total of about 745 standard rounds, the equivalent of 125 reloads, from full condition before breaking. When modified with the forged receiver, it can fire a total of about 1120 standard rounds, the equivalent of 187 reloads.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ Forged receiver|
|Standard & HP||745||125||1120||187|
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- 188 trading post - Can occasionally be purchased from Alexander.
- Gun Runners - The Vendortron sells one.
- Hidden Valley bunker armory - Can sometimes be purchased from Knight Torres.
- NCR Veteran Rangers - Commonly found carrying a brush gun.
- Can also be sold at Red Rock Canyon by the Great Khan armorer if the Courier has a positive reputation with the Khans. Buying it in the armory is cheaper than anywhere else in the Mojave Wasteland.
- One of the legionary assassins may carry a brush gun (level 21 onwards).
- White Legs warriors at higher levels (20-25+). Brush guns are commonly found on
- lobotomites at high levels (40-50). Brush guns can commonly be found on
- marked men at high levels (30-40). Brush guns can be found on
- Its damage is on par with that of the anti-materiel rifle loaded with armor piercing rounds and boasts almost three times the damage-per-second when used with the Cowboy perk. It can be a much more effective weapon to use as it does not feature a large scope and has a much faster cyclic rate of fire.
- Although there is a butt-stock cartridge holder on the stock of the weapon, no cartridges will appear to be placed inside it, regardless of the player character's ammunition count.
- As long as the main storyline for the Honest Hearts add-on has not been completed, the White Legs can provide an unlimited supply of brush guns to moderate level player characters (level 20-25+).
- Even after completing the Old World Blues add-on, it is possible to continuously loot brush guns from lobotomites, who commonly carry them.
Behind the scenes
- Sometimes when reloading the weapon in third-person view, one may not see the usual lever action. [verified]
- Sometimes a serious bug will affect the weapon's shooting capabilities, making every bullet hit about 20 feet to the right of where the player character is aiming. Also, this bug affects the iron sights, as the player character cannot see them when zooming in. [verified]
- companion. This can be fixed for the player character by changing the ammunition type again. [verified] When changing ammunition types this weapon could be caught in a reload loop, this is also common on the cowboy repeater and trail carbine and also happens when giving this weapon to a
- As with all lever-action weapons, a bug exists where if one changes ammunition types twice consecutively, the weapon returns to having a full magazine in the ammunition type that was selected. [verified]
- brush gun forged receiver, and repairing it with a Weapon Repair Kit to full condition, the condition will rise to 150%, instead of making it degrade at a slower rate. basically making it 100% for much longer (Fixed in 1.06). [verified] When modding this weapon with the
- weapon repair kit is used on it. [verified] A brush gun with the forged receiver mod attached will actually degrade in the condition when a
- Sometimes the lever may remain downward if holstered immediately after firing. Simply drawing and holstering the weapon again will fix this. [verified]
- Reloading in third-person mode while moving even at a snail's pace will show the reload animation without cycling the lever once reloading is finished. This happens even if the reload was interrupted mid-way. Also, the lever will remain in a lowered position until you zoom in, put it away, etc. [verified]
- V.A.T.S. will cause the brush gun to rapidly fire all shots while still zoomed on the player, resulting in zero damage to the enemies. [verified] Sometimes firing multiple shots in
- night stalkers, and cyberdogs. [verified] In V.A.T.S. mode when firing multiple shots, the brush gun will randomly miss enemies with each shot even with multiple two-handed weapon perks, 100 to Guns skill, and aiming at the same body part. This is especially common when dealing with up-close enemies such as
- The reload animation of lever-action weapons does not have a corresponding jam animation, so the weapon will not jam, even at near-breaking conditions. [verified]
- [verification overdue] The forged receiver has a low-poly texture.