|For a cross-game overview, see Machine gun.|
|The following is based on Fallout Tactics and is not canon.|
The 50 cal machine gun as its name implies is a machine gun chambered in the extremely powerful .50 round. Highly effective against infantry and other soft targets, materiel, lightly armored vehicles, boats, fortifications, and aircraft. Though heavy and cumbersome when used away from a mount, the advent of power armor and the creation of minigun frames for personnel use allowed this venerable weapon to be used by soldiers on foot.
Although the Browning M2 has a very high Strength requirement, its is the most damaging and longest ranged machine gun in the game. Only the MEC Gauss minigun exceeds it in firepower, but its ammo is likewise fairly scarce.
When loaded with rare .50 caliber depleted uranium ammo, the M2 is a particularly devastating weapon and capable of tearing apart robots, which are largely immune to other conventional firearms.
- The M2 first appears during the St. Louis mission, carried by at least two guards in the super mutant fortress in the far north of the map and two guards in the area around it. They have .50 depleted uranium (DU) rounds and can easily kill one's entire squad. One mutant in the entrenchment wields the gun with ordinary rounds in it.
- Two mutants in a building on the right side of the Jefferson map carry this gun. Unlike the St. Louis mutants, they only have regular .50 rounds and (probably) won't tear a squad apart with a single burst. One mutant with the gun guards the entrance to the tunnel. Another mutant with Browning M2 stands in the center of a callow, near the final objectives.
- There are several super mutants with this weapon in Kansas City. One of them snipes from the tower (opposite the West gate), others take part in the south gate assault.
- Sometimes, during random encounters with super mutants, a few of them may carry this gun. Typically they have a small amount of regular .50 rounds for it.
Behind the scenes
- The M2HB .50 cal HMG "Ma Deuce" has been in service with several countries for decades with no plans to replace it due to its exemplary performance.
- It is famous for its excellent range, accuracy and firepower. Only heavily armored vehicles (Tanks, APCs and IFVs) can withstand it when loaded with AP ammo. For softer targets, there is a wide selection of ammunition to meet any need.
- Weapon performance and design in Fallout 76.