Prior to the Great War, Lieutenant Elizabeth Taggerdy led a distinguished U.S. Army Ranger unit that came to be nicknamed "Taggerdy's Thunder," stationed in Appalachia. The unit survived the War, and was eventually contacted by an old acquaintance of Taggerdy's: Captain Roger Maxson who had been stationed at Mariposa Military Base in California. Maxson had seized control of a satellite communications system at the Lost Hills bunker, and was attempting to recruit surviving military personnel across the country into his newly-founded Brotherhood of Steel.
Though Taggerdy professed some initial doubts about the organization, she ultimately accepted the invitation, reorganizing her unit into a chapter of the Brotherhood and Camp Venture, a former U.S. military site. As time went on, Maxson would continue communications with the chapter, relaying new orders and sermonizing on the importance of the Brotherhood's work.
The Brotherhood eventually outgrew the size of Camp Venture and established a new base at Allegheny Asylum, which came to be known as Fort Defiance. Some time after moving to their new base at Fort Defiance, the satellite communication with Maxson was lost, leaving the chapter fending for itself.
Under the leadership of Taggerdy, the Appalachian Brotherhood worked closely with the Responders, even participating in a battle against the super mutants in Huntersville. Though this battle was a success, it came with a heavy price. Several members of the Brotherhood were killed and buried in a small graveyard near Huntersville.
After the emergence of The Scorched Plague and the resulting hordes of infected creatures, the Appalachian Brotherhood, along with Free States and the Responders, focused its efforts on repelling and eradicating the pathogen. Unfortunately, their efforts were in vain. Paladin Taggerdy and her best men were killed during Operation Touchdown in 2095, an attempt to destroy the main nest in Glassed cavern, though not before slaying many enemies including several scorchbeasts. Since no scorchbeasts appeared for a few days, the operation was considered a success.
However, during following months the scorchbeasts came in numbers. Fort Defiance came under heavy assault from the Scorched, but instead of running, the Brotherhood fought to the last man. Simultaneously, their position in the Thunder Mountain power plant was overrun by the Scorched, cutting power to Fort Defiance and its AAA batteries, dooming it. In their last moments, the surviving Fort Defiance personnel sent a radio broadcast to the inhabitants of the region warning of their defeat. They left behind messages instructing others to carry on their work.
- Paladin Elizabeth Taggerdy - chapter founder, associate of Roger Maxson, leader and namesake of US Army Rangers unit Taggerdy's Thunder. Killed in action during Operation Touchdown, a mission to destroy what was thought to be the main scorchbeast nest in the Glassed cavern.
- Paladin Swafford - Dead in Huntersville.
- Squire Belmonte - Mentioned in Fort Defiance.
- Squire Evelyn - Mentioned in Fort Defiance.
- Squire Hannah De Silva - performed initial recon of Fort Defiance, killed in action in Huntersville.
- Squire Rosen - last survivor trying to hold the Thunder Mountain power plant.
- Squire Gilden - last survivor trying to hold the Thunder Mountain power plant
- Squire Montgomery - Sent to VTU with Danny as strike team to secure the automated research lab.
- Squire Schultz - Scouted out locations in the Cranberry Bog.
- Knight Esposito - training sergeant at Camp Venture before it was abandoned, later killed when her position was assaulted by three scorchbeasts.
- Scribe Grant McNamara - Helped restore power to the Grafton Dam.
- Martinez - Mentioned on a terminal at Grafton Dam.
- Knight Johnny Moreno - killed along with Paladin Taggerdy during Operation Touchdown.
- Knight Tex Rogers - held out with Wilson and an unknown member on the fourth floor of Fort Defiance during its fall to the scorched.
- Unknown member - held out with Tex and Wilson on the fourth floor of Fort Defiance during its fall to the scorched.
- Gary Weber - went missing during patrol.
- Senior Knight Ted Wilson - in charge of training at Camp Venture before it was abandoned, held out with Tex and an unknown member on the fourth floor of Fort Defiance during its fall to the Scorched.
- Knight Melissa Reische - Responsible for the camp at Big Bend Tunnel East.
- Initiate Fowler - On a mission with Initiate Tieggs in Forward Station Delta.
- Initiate Tieggs
- Harpers Ferry pump station. Romeo Squad - a Brotherhood squad sent to investigate the large number of military robots at the
- E Fishers - Went AWOL before his graduation from Camp Venture.
- Hank Madigan - Joined Fire Breathers after having a falling out with the Brotherhood.
The Appalachian Brotherhood of Steel appears in Fallout 76.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1052640333664833536
- ↑ Preservation of technology
- ↑ About the Brotherhood
- ↑ Fort Defiance terminal entries#.5B95-FEB-02.5D
- ↑ Message to Sammy
- ↑ Mission 099-01 orders
- ↑ Belmonte incident
- ↑ Last of the Thunder
- ↑ Scattered journal pages#Journal page 4: I keep in touch with the Brotherhood of Steel at Big Bend East. Their leader, Melissa, has been very generous to us.
- ↑ Burrows mission brief
- ↑ Camp Venture terminal entries#JAN-03-81:_E_Fisher