An unusual heavy weapon mixing 18th-century ordnance with 23rd-century technology. The main body consists of a small old-fashioned naval cannon strapped to a makeshift rig with metal rivets and thick ropes. This rig allows it to be carried around with both hands easily and includes a hinge allowing the cannon to be angled vertically for easy reloading. It fires explosive cannonballs via an electronic trigger taped to the back handle.
The Broadsider's base damage is affected by the Heavy Gunner perk.
- Shot canister
- The Broadsider is a powerful weapon, only surpassed by a fully upgraded Gauss rifle, a missile launcher and a Fat Man in terms of raw damage output.
- Use of an eyebot pod to search for Cannonball ammunition will yield 35 - 40 each time. It is entirely possible to use this weapon as a mainstay. Even with full perks the AoE is small enough to use this weapon in much tighter battles than expected for an explosive armament.
- The Broadsider uses less AP per V.A.T.S. shot than a missile launcher– almost half– while weighing significantly less than a fully upgraded missile launcher.
- The cannonball reward from the end of Last Voyage of the U.S.S. Constitution appears to be tied to the weapon. Adding another one to the player character's inventory will also add the cannonballs.
- At some point in development, the weapon was intended to have weapon mods that would change the properties of the cannonballs. In the game's archives, there are meshes for an alternate version of the front part of the electronic trigger, along with a mesh for a cannonball with a fuse. This cannonball variant is a cut projectile that appears to have been intended to produce timed detonations.
- Additionally, there is another cut projectile that causes a larger explosion on impact, similar to the explosion caused by cars. The name of this, BroadsiderProjectileMortar, suggests that it was to be similar to the projectiles used by the artillery pieces.
- A "Nuke" variation of the weapon can be added with the console command player.additem 65df2 1.
This version of the Broadsider launches gigantic nukes, and uses a custom ammunition type called "Nuke," which can be added with the console command player.additem 65df3. However, being a cut weapon, it does not actually consume the "Nuke" ammo, making it a weapon with infinite ammo.
- Even though it has no legendary modifier, the Broadsider cannot be scrapped at a weapons workbench.
- Although the multi shot canister mod increases the Broadsider's capacity to three cannonballs, the Sole Survivor will only insert a single projectile into its muzzle while reloading.