Paladin Brandis was assigned as the commander of Recon Squad Artemis, with the objective of traveling to the Commonwealth to gather technology and intelligence from the region. Shortly after their arrival, they were ambushed southeast of Malden Center, as raiders outnumbered them five to one. In the fighting, they lost several solders, including Knight Varham, and they were forced to scuttle their power armor. Paladin Brandis then ordered the survivors to make for the local National Guard training yard as their fallback point. Once there, they made camp for a short time, before Brandis ordered Knight Tara Astlin to hold the position until their return, though she was soon overrun by feral ghouls. At some point after she started her distress beacon, Paladin Brandis and Scribe Faris were separated. While Paladin Brandis was quickly trying to reach Knight Astlin, Scribe Faris was attacked by super mutants. In the firefight, a bullet to a vital artery caused Faris' eventual demise at the Revere satellite array. Unable to reach either Knight Astlin or Scribe Faris in time, Paladin Brandis, now alone in the Commonwealth, made his way north to a previously discovered bunker where he would take shelter.
Now alone and shocked by survivor's guilt, he would attempt to continue his mission, but after three years in isolation and no hope in sight, his paranoia and fear bested him, losing all hope of rescue.
If Brandis is convinced to return to the Prydwen, then upon talking to him there, he will thank the Sole Survivor and give them his gun, the Survivor's Special. Later on, Brandis will assist the Brotherhood with the assault on the Institute during Ad Victoriam and The Nuclear Option. Alternatively, he will participate in the raid on the Railroad HQ in the quest Precipice of War if the Sole Survivor follows the Railroad line of quests.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- The Lost Patrol - The Sole Survivor will need to succeed in three increasingly difficult Charisma checks to get him to return to the Brotherhood or he can be killed.
- Precipice of War or Airship Down - Paladin Brandis needs to be killed among all the other named Brotherhood of Steel characters.
- Ad Victoriam and The Nuclear Option - He will assist the player character during the assault on the C.I.T. ruins and the Institute.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|BOS officer uniform
|Paladin Brandis' holotape||Paladin Brandis' holotag|
- In Precipice of War or Airship Down, it is possible to collect his named power armor by shooting his fusion core.
- Brandis is the only source in the game for the black BOS officer uniform. If convinced to rejoin the Brotherhood, he will sit in a chair in the right of his bunker before leaving. If the Sole Survivor has Pickpocket at rank 4, they can pickpocket the item off of him with no penalty without killing him. If they did not convince him to return to the Brotherhood, but want to leave him alive, they can "pickpocket farm" the uniform so long as they remove all armor each time. During the Railroad quest Precipice of War, he can be found in the church wearing his black BOS officer uniform underneath his power armor.
- Companions may immediately open fire when first encountering Brandis before or during the dialogue sequence. Having certain helmet mods while in power armor may also make him immediately hostile.
- After returning him to the Brotherhood of Steel, he may attempt to have a conversation with the Sole Survivor in which he will give them the Survivor's Special. One can just walk away from him if they are not interested in the weapon and as they walk away he will ask them to return when they have the time. In essence, one can refuse their reward rather than take it from him.
- If Brandis is convinced to return to the Brotherhood before the player character sides with them as their main faction for the final ending, he will accompany the Sole Survivor as part of the Brotherhood strike team during Ad Victoriam and The Nuclear Option in his power armor. It is possible for him to die during these quests.
- If the player character has not formally met the Brotherhood of Steel before completing The Lost Patrol, it is not possible to convince Brandis to return to the Prydwen at that time.
- If the player character is under the effects of Berry Mentats when they open the bunker, Paladin Brandis will immediately become hostile.
- If the one has Paladin Danse as their companion and has completed Blind Betrayal, convincing Brandis to rejoin the Brotherhood will immediately turn him hostile.
- If Brandis is killed after rejoining the Brotherhood, he can still be found on the Prydwen.
Paladin Brandis appears only in Fallout 4.
- Brandis can be killed after convincing him to return to the Brotherhood and he will still turn up at the Prydwen later, alive and well. This is because the Brandis aboard the Prydwen has a different editor id to the Brandis at the bunker. [verified]
- Despite successfully completing three speech checks to convince Brandis to return to the Prydwen, he still refuses to return and will remain in his bunker. [verified]
- If convinced to return to the Prydwen, he might not give the player his Survivor's Special, he will instead say his lines. [verified]
- Shadow of Steel, Brandis may not appear on the Prydwen or in the bunker. This might be related to Shadow of Steel not triggering after Reunions. [verified] If one convinces Brandis to rejoin the Brotherhood and completes The Lost Patrol through Paladin Danse before completing
- Interrupting the initial dialogue with Brandis might cause him to become unresponsive. [verified]
- [verification overdue] If the Brotherhood is hostile towards the player character, trying to convince Brandis to return to the Brotherhood will result in him attacking the player character immediately after passing the last speech check. If Brandis then is killed, he might still appear later on the Prydwen.
- Survivor's Special as a reward. [verification overdue] When talking to Brandis aboard the Prydwen after persuading him to rejoin the Brotherhood, he may fail to offer the