Formerly a small town, Bramwell was overtaken by the ultra-rich and the construction of what would come to be known as "Mega Mansions," giant skyscraper-like mansions housing the richest denizens of Appalachia and displacing regular mortals from the area. During the Automation riots, one of these mansions was brought down via stolen blasting explosives used by disgruntled ex-miners, headed by one "O'Conner," as Mick Flanagan led another group in an attempt to capture the Rockhound. While the insurgents were arrested, there was still much unrest in the area, which the combined corporate/government forces tried to suppress.
After the Great War, Bramwell was abandoned and its opulent occupants scattered to the winds. Eventually, the Responders' Fire Breathers undertook a few expeditions to the area, to search for survivors isolated by the smoldering Mount Blair. Although they found nobody alive, they did rediscover the Excavator power armor, which was planned for deployment in future operations.
The town is located on the southern edge of the Ash Heap and comprises the Hornwright and Garrahan Estates, along with the unfinished mansion, and represents the first stop along the Appalachian monorail. It is also a destination at the Watoga Transit Hub. A terminal entry there marks the Garrahan Estate and the Garrahan Mining Headquarters on the map, if they have not yet been discovered. Bramwell is also mentioned on the Landview Lighthouse keeper's home terminal, located on the second floor.
Behind the scenes
- An unused sign texture bearing the city's name exists in the game files.
- Bramwell is based on the real world location of Bramwell, West Virginia. Mirroring in-game events, the real world town acquired some notoriety for having the largest number of millionaires per capita in the United States in the late 1800s. Numerous large homes were built in the town by wealthy coal operators, but were subsequently lost to a massive fire and martial law that destroyed the vast majority of downtown.
- Landview Lighthouse terminal entries; Lighthouse keeper's terminal, Tourism Guide - Viewing Information
- Watoga Transit Hub terminal entries; Monorail station terminal, Bramwell
- Garrahan Mining Headquarters terminal entries; Security terminal, Log Entry 10-3-2077
- The Rusty Pick terminal entries; Mick Flanagan's terminal, Entry 07
- Hornwright Industrial headquarters terminal entries; Reception terminal, Archived Message - 10.5.77
- Charleston Fire Department terminal entries; Fire Breathers master terminal, Excavator Armor
- Bramwell Fire 1910