|Side Quest: Booted|
|Talk to Boxcars in Nipton.|
|Go to the Legion Raid Camp and free the two slaves.|
|Reward: 100 XP|
Powder Ganger fame
During the Courier's visit to Nipton, they will notice that something is not right. When they first enter the town, they will meet Oliver Swanick, who seems to be over-excited about winning "the lottery" and keeps repeating that he has won. Going further into the town, the Legion has taken over the town and killed almost everyone. While searching through the town, the Courier will find a man called Boxcars in the general store.
Boxcars reacts to the Courier in different ways, depending on their reputation with the Powder Gangers. He tells the Courier about the lottery that the Legion played with the town of Nipton. He then explains to the Courier that some of the Powder Gangers were enslaved by the Legion and taken east. He mentions that his legs are in a lot of pain and he needs Med-X. The Courier then has the option to spare some for him (a choice of up to five doses).
Locate the enslaved Powder Gang members at the Legion raid camp. They are tied up around a campfire being watched by legionaries. Upon freeing the slaves, the legionaries become hostile and will attack if the Courier does not have a positive reputation with Caesar's Legion. It is also possible to untie the slaves while sneaking or wearing Legion faction armor, resulting in the guards remaining friendly. Freeing the Powder Ganger slaves results in a positive increase in reputation with them with no effect on reputation with the Legion (but, as always, killing the legionaries while detected will reduce one's reputation with the Legion). Once the slaves are freed, the quest is completed.
- Killing Boxcars during the quest will cause the quest to fail, even if he is killed after he has told the Courier about the prisoners and thus no longer plays a role in the quest.
- Completing the quest with Craig Boone as a follower will earn history points towards triggering Boone's companion quest, I Forgot to Remember to Forget. Boone will automatically attack the legionaries and trigger infamy with Caesar's Legion. He will not attack, however, if the player character is wearing Legion faction armor at the time.
- Once rescued, the two Powder Gangers will run south to the old nuclear test site, where they will most likely be killed by the feral ghouls in the area. Even if the ghouls are cleared out beforehand, the Powder Gangers will simply stand around the area in front of Trash's shack until the ghouls respawn.
- The Courier can return to Boxcars after completing the quest, but he will not offer any new dialogue options related to the captives' freedom.
- If the Courier waits too long near the Legion raid camp during this quest, they may find it overrun by a night stalker attack, with all the Legion members dead and both of the prisoners gone. In this case, it seems impossible to finish the quest.
- If the Courier waits too long and fast travels to the Legion raid camp during this quest, they may find it being attacked by the night stalkers, which can attack both the Legion members and the prisoners. If the prisoners are killed by the night stalkers, the quest will fail.
- If the Courier goes to the Legion raid camp and successfully unties the prisoners before even talking to Boxcars and/or starting this quest when going to Boxcars, they can still start the quest and then it will automatically complete while getting history points for Boone.
Behind the scenes
- Sometimes, the player character will see the Powder Gangers up and walking freely, they will flee (although not far) if one gets into combat with the legionaries. After defeating the legionaries, the Powder Gangers will keep walking around, when one tries and "talk" to them, they will get an option to untie them or leave them tied regardless of them walking around freely. [verified]
- Sometimes, after killing the Legion guards, the player character cannot untie the Powder Gangers. Waiting a few in-game hours may fix this. [verified]
- Rarely, a Legion guard may be tied up and the prisoner standing next to him. Talking to the guard makes him speak as usual. One will still have the option to untie the prisoner standing next to the guard. [verified]
- ED-E with them as a companion, it may attack the Powder Ganger prisoners and fail the quest. This is more likely if one's reputation with the Powder Gangers is Vilified. [verified] If the Courier has
- Rarely, if one unties one of the Powder Gangers, a Legion guard will take his place sitting on the ground. Talking to the guard offers the same dialogue options as when he is on duty.[verified]
- When reaching the Powder Gangers, they will sometimes appear dead but still be tied up. [verified]
- Sometimes, after freeing the Powder Gangers, they will roam around freely, and after killing all the Legion guards, they will kneel back onto the ground and become tied up again. This time, however, they cannot be untied, though the quest is finished. [verified]
- Sometimes, untying Powder Gangers will not make Legion guards hostile. [verified]
- Sometimes, the Powder Ganger prisoners will walk around freely, but they cannot be untied. They will eventually go back to a sitting position, but they still cannot be untied, i.e. talking to them instead of untying them. [verified]