This article needs to be updated (Issue: Some information is outdated as of Steel Reign)
To meet Nukapedia's quality standards, this article or section may require updating. Please help by improving the article.
Formerly a trucking operation moving freight across the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Blue Ridge Caravan Company was taken over by Joanna Mayfield from her grandfather around 2073, switching from trucks to brahmin after the bombs fell. Continuing to operate as an efficient and powerful transport company, the Blue Ridge Caravan Company specializes in the transfer of goods all across the region. As of 2103, their operations have begun to expand into Appalachia. They trade to any and all groups that want it, including the Settlers and Raiders. Most Raiders recognize them as essential to their survival, and Blue Ridge caravaneers are some of the only outsiders allowed in the Crater.
Though the company is headquartered outside Appalachia, Joanna is currently visiting the region, residing within the Blue Ridge office. Little is known about their operations outside of Appalachia, though they claim to have made the Parkway one of the safest routes in the wasteland, and have been employed by clients from as distant as Kentucky. Specifically, the caravan company deals in arms, ammunition, furs, furniture, canned goods, and water. Meanwhile the Big Bend Tunnel is considered one of their most dangerous routes, though safer than risking the overland route through the Savage Divide.
Caravans operate in pairs of two people; one guard, one merchant. These pairs are assigned based on whoever is available, though it will usually be the same partners every time. The merchants are considered clients, bringing their own goods, while the guards are considered employees. However, the brahmin are considered the most important part of the caravan shipment, with the entire shipment depending on their safety.
Often utilizing the Big Bend Tunnel for quick travel between the Ash Heap and Cranberry Bog, they have recently become targets of the Blood Eagles, who want to stop the flow of travel across their territory.
Edgar Blackburn previously targeted Blue Ridge Caravans for humans to use as test subjects for his experiments with FEV. These disappearances drew the attention of the Brotherhood First Expeditionary Force, who investigated the matter with the help of Vault Dwellers from Vault 76.
Interactions with the player character
Members of the group serve as traders and caravaneers, and will never be hostile to the player character.
Behind the scenes
- Much of the content for the Blue Ridge Caravan Company was created by quest designer Carl McKevitt.[Non-canon 1] Its design process started with the creation of Riding Shotgun, which originally featured simple "caravan guards." These guards were fleshed out into a mini-faction and their dialogue was expanded to avoid repetition during the event, which eventually led to the creation of Blue Ridge and its characters.[Non-canon 2]
- The Blue Ridge Caravan Company's name was decided based on several factors: Appalachia's location within the Blue Ridge Mountains, the mention of the mountain range in "Take Me Home, Country Roads," Carl's affinity for the color blue, and as a parallel to the similarly-named Crimson Caravan Company.[Non-canon 2]
- Big Bend Tunnel terminal entries; terminal, (Draft) Company Speech
- Vault Dweller: "Where are you from?"
Carver Timmerman: "Well I was born around here actually, but my mom moved us sometime after the war. Now we've live in a settlement out in what used to be Kentucky, I guess. Maybe it still is Kentucky? I don't know, I tried reading some old geography text books as a kid, seemed like a waste of time now, though."
(Carver Timmerman's dialogue)
- Big Bend Tunnel terminal entries; terminal, Staff and Clients for Appalachia
- Aries: "Do any other routes see this much action?"
Rudy Fernandez: "Oh, that's right. You're pretty new to Blue Ridge. But, no, not so much. Big Bend is its own special nightmare for us merchants. Not much choice in the matter, though. Believe it or not, it's the safest route to the western side of this mountain range."
Aries: "Very true. There are things far more deadly than a gang of would-be bandits in those hills. Trust me on that one."
(Aries and Rudy Fernandez's dialogue)
- Vault Dweller: "Any advice for guarding the caravan?"
Carver Timmerman: "Don't let the Brahmin die. Please, please, please, don't let Brahmin die. Our entire shipment depends on their safety."
(Carver Timmerman's dialogue)
- Vault Dweller: "What can you tell me about the Blue Ridge Caravan Company?"
Vinny Costa: "We're always looking for another gun to hire. We're in the business of shooting anyone that gets between our merchants and their destination. If you're interested in joining up, just ask me. I'll let you know if we've got a caravan ready to roll out. Just be ready for a fight. We've been real popular lately, if you catch my meaning. It can turn into a regular fireworks show in there."
(Vinny Costa's dialogue)