Split (reason: Should be split by game like other perks)
It has been suggested that this article or section should be split. Please help Nukapedia by discussing this issue on the article's talk page.
|For the trait, see Bloody Mess (trait).|
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas
Due to traits being completely removed from Fallout 3, Bloody Mess was changed into a perk. Bloody Mess also appears in Fallout: New Vegas, but it was not changed back into a trait. It is not currently known whether the damage increase is applied before or after damage threshold is applied.
- This perk increases the chance of dismemberment, regardless of the hit location. This can render some quests more difficult to complete, due to the necessity of precise wounds.
- The quest You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head in Fallout 3 can be harder to complete with this perk, since head shots may not count as such if other limbs are also blown off by the shot.
- The quest Three-Card Bounty in Fallout: New Vegas is somewhat harder to complete for full credit since the violent death animations may not leave a fully intact head on the marks' bodies, therefore forfeiting the bonus. It is recommended to either do the quest before taking the perk or to avoid excess damage. Aiming for the legs and using low-damage weapons for the finishing blow will usually prevent the head from being knocked off. Asking any companions to switch to melee and having them kill the bounties works just as well.
- Killing multiple enemies on top of one another with this perk can make it difficult to loot them all, as it can be hard to locate a fragment belonging to a particular enemy amongst those of the others. However, it is highly useful in looting enemies which are otherwise difficult to access, such as those on catwalks, since their parts will often fall to ground level.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, this perk is one of only two universal and permanent damage-increase perks, the other being Lord Death. All other damage increasing perks are focused on certain types of enemies or weapons, or only apply under certain conditions.
- This perk is highly useful in the Dead Money add-on, as it increases the chance that the ghost people in the Sierra Madre will be dismembered by attacks instead of just knocked unconscious, since dismemberment is the only way to kill ghost people.
- If gore from dismembered victims are physically picked up, their physical weight will sometimes be extremely heavy. This is due to how the engine handles ragdoll physics, and will only happen to enemies who have their weapons "equipped." Dropped weapons are also sometimes kept equipped in the dead actor's inventory, as indicated by the interface. Certain armors may also affect gore weight.
Disabling Bloody Mess Perk Gibing
Many players enjoy the additional Damage bonus supplied by this perk but they find the added Gore to be over-the-top or even immersion breaking when a victim is shot in the leg but his head explodes. If the player has access to a Fallout 3 installation on PC, they can use the following console commands to "Fix" the Bloody Mess Perk! To be clear: this will stop the extra animations but will not remove the +5% damage bonus. Once this fix has been applied, it is permanent. The player can then convert the gamesave from PC to XBOX360 and into their Xbox One Cloud. For converting saves, see below. Once the player has their PC Gamesave they can apply the fix:
If the perk has already been taken, open the console and type: Player.modAV bloodymess -1
If the perk has not been taken, type: Player.modAV bloodymess -1 press ENTER and then player.addperk 94EBA
Required: a physical 360, a USB flash drive formatted with a 360, and on it needs to be at least 1 xbox360 Fallout 3 gamesave.FSX, Software: Modio or Horrizon (widely available).
The .FSX file extension is an encryption container which needs to be removed with Modio or Horrizon simply by extracting the Savegame.dat and renaming it to "360save2PC.FOS" which is now a PC gamesave.
To convert back to Xbox after the fix, simply open Modio/Horrizon, double click any xbox save that can be overwritten, right-click Savegame.dat > choose Replace... and then navigate to the file "360save2PC.FOS" . There will be a success message. Now press "Save, Rehash, and Resign" and your gamesave is ready to be played on Xbox!
|1||LCK 3||+5% bonus damage means enemies will sometimes explode into a gory red paste. Watch out for flying eyeballs!||0004A0BB|
|2||LCK 3, LVL 9||You now inflict +10% damage in combat.||001D2453|
|3||LCK 3, LVL 31||You now inflict +15% damage in combat.||001D2454|
|4||LCK 3, LVL 47||When an enemy explodes, nearby enemies may suffer the same fate.||001F418E|
Bloody Mess is the only universal damage increase present in Fallout 4. All other forms of damage improvement are limited to either one class of weapons or to specific circumstances.
1 base Luck
|5% bonus damage means enemies may explode into a gory red paste.||0004A0BB|
2 base Luck
|10% bonus damage means enemies may explode into a gory red paste.||001D2453|
3 base Luck
|15% bonus damage means enemies may explode into a gory red paste.||001D2454|
|9 base Luck||15% bonus damage means enemies may explode into a gory red paste.||00479B24|
- +5%/10%/15% weapon base damage.1
- 1: If a combat rifle has a base damage of 40, then Bloody Mess rank 2 will grant +4 .
- Enemy torsos have a ?% chance to dismember upon death.
- Affects every single weapon except the chainsaw.
- Does not affect thrown weapons or weapon bashing.
- The following cannot be exploded by Bloody Mess:
- Scorchbeast, Scorchbeast Queen
- Gore effect is overridden by the Confetti Mess lunchbox perk.
- Challenge: Equip Rank 3 "Bloody Mess" Perk
When inflicting a critical hit, roll 1d6. If rolled an Effect, inflict one additional injury to a random location.
Behind the scenes
In the German versions of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, which are free of all blood and physical sundering (with the exception of the Ultimate Edition), there is no change in the battle and death animations. In New Vegas, however, animals (except night stalkers) can be dismembered using Bloody Mess.