|For a cross-game overview of this perk, see Bloody Mess (perk).|
For the trait, see Bloody Mess (trait).
“With the Bloody Mess perk, characters and creatures you kill will often explode into a red, gut-ridden, eyeball-strewn paste. Fun! Oh, and you'll do 5% more damage with all weapons.”— Perk description
- The perk increases the chance of dismemberment, regardless of the hit location.
- This renders the quest Three-Card Bounty harder to complete for full credit, since the violent death animations may not leave a fully intact head on the marks' bodies, therefore forfeiting the bonus. It is easiest to either do the quest before taking the perk or to avoid excess damage. Aiming for the legs and using low-damage weapons for the finishing blow will usually prevent the head from being knocked off. Asking any companions to switch to melee and having them kill the bounties works just as well.
- This makes the perk useful against the ghost people in the Sierra Madre in the Dead Money add-on, since dismemberment is the only way to permanently eliminate them.
- It is unknown whether the damage increase is applied before or after damage threshold is applied.
- Killing multiple enemies on top of one another with this perk can make it difficult to loot them all, as it can be hard to locate a fragment belonging to a particular enemy amongst those of the others.
- If body parts from dismembered enemies are picked up, their physical weight will sometimes be extremely heavy. This is due to how the engine handles ragdoll physics, and will only happen to enemies who have their weapons equipped. Dropped weapons are also sometimes kept equipped in the dead actor's inventory, as indicated by the interface. Certain armors may also affect the weight of a body part.
- The perk is one of only two universal and permanent damage-increase perks in the base game, the other being Lord Death. A third perk named Thought You Died was implemented with the Lonesome Road add-on. All other damage increasing perks are focused on certain types of enemies or weapons, or only apply under certain conditions.
- In the German version, which is free of all blood and physical sundering (with the exception of the Ultimate Edition), only animals (except for night stalkers) can be dismembered by this perk.