Created by giving books to the Book Chute in The Sink. The Book Chute will accept (among other things) large burned books, large destroyed books, large ruined books, large scorched books, small burned books, small destroyed books, small ruined books, small scorched books, and pre-War books. Blank books are used in the workbench crafting recipe for various skill books in Old World Blues. The recipes are as follows:
- Recipes - Barter skill book
- Recipes - Energy Weapons skill book
- Recipes - Explosives skill book
- Recipes - Guns skill book
- Recipes - Lockpick skill book
- Recipes - Medicine skill book
- Recipes - Melee Weapons skill book
- Recipes - Repair skill book
- Recipes - Science skill book
- Recipes - Sneak skill book
- Recipes - Speech skill book
- Recipes - Survival skill book
- Recipes - Unarmed skill book
- The houses in Higgs Village have a total of 171 books.
- 158 books in Nelson, in the house next to the barracks. However, these books are all considered owned and will cause you to lose Karma.
- The abandoned Brotherhood of Steel bunker has plenty of books as well, but requires the installation of the DLC Dead Money.
- The X-8 research center has plenty of books.
- There are plenty of books in metal boxes and next to book shelves throughout The Divide in Lonesome Road. This is especially convenient if you do not have the desired amount of books by the time you complete Old World Blues.
- Another great place to find books is the Lucky 38 penthouse.
- 75 books in Doc Mitchell's house that do not need to be stolen.
- There are a good number of books on the second and third floors of the Bison Steve Hotel.
- The REPCONN test site has over 250 books that do not need to be stolen.
- You need 25 blank books to make one skill book.
- The exchange of books is 1 to 1, no matter the size of the old book. A total of 325 books is enough to produce all of the recipes.
- As with many of The Sink's personality units, the Book Chute's function makes a previously worthless group of items hold much greater value, albeit to a more limited degree. The first 325 can be used for a greater purpose, though converting books after that point merely makes storing a still-worthless item slightly easier.