The Blade of the East has an effect of -2 hp for 10 seconds. It appears that the only cosmetic difference between The Blade of the East and a bumper sword is that it does not have a license plate on the underside of the sword. Legate Lanius can be seen hitting NCR (non-veteran) rangers with it, dismembering and getting one-hit kills. The weapon can also cause your enemies to fly backwards and be knocked out.
|- Type of attack||- Skill required|
|- Damage per attack in V.A.T.S.||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per action point||- Additional effects|
- Note: Melee weapons do double normal damage in V.A.T.S.
It is possible to execute Mauler outside of V.A.T.S. (without the required Melee skill of 50 to perform the move) by initiating a power attack (hold attack button) while moving forward.
The Blade of the East can successfully strike about 3995 times from full condition before breaking.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Blade of the East||65||104.6||+2/10s||1.58||x1||30||35||4.3||3995||12||45||3.8||100||9|
|Blade of the West||60||127.9||2.13||x1.5||30||29||4.1||745||12||5700||475||100||9|
- Note: Melee damage is doubled in V.A.T.S.
Can be looted from Legate Lanius in the final battle if siding with the NCR, Yes Man, or House. Note that you will only have a limited time to use this, as the game ends soon after the fight. Assuming you fight for independence or Mr. House, it can be used to great effect against Oliver and his Rangers.
- The Legate has a different version of this weapon (confirmed by the GECK) that is not meant for the player to have, as when the player attempts to take the weapon from the Legate's corpse, a "Blade of the East" is instead added to the player's inventory (the ID of the Legate's blade is 0013e4de).
- Lanius' unique version of this weapon has a base damage of 65, a critical damage of 30, and a damage per second of 102. Lanius himself often inflicts more than 100 points of damage per hit with his sword.
- The sword cannot be pickpocketed from Lanius.
- Salt-Upon-Wounds' power fist is the only other weapon that would normally come with a poison effect.
- The value of the sword is low compared to its great power and comparable weapons. This is most likely because the weapon loses its value/use as the game soon ends.
PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If the player is in some places where Lanius can't hit you, Lanius will eventually equip a pistol, causing the Blade of the East to disappear. [verified]