|For the Fallout 76 location, see Black Mountain Ordnance Works.|
Black Mountain is a location in the Mojave Wasteland that serves as a radio station for the State of Utobitha. It can be located on the main map easily by spotting the winding road roughly east of Goodsprings and Sloan. Neil's shack is situated at the bottom of the mountain and marks the start of the road.
Black Mountain, a dominant feature of the area, was unoccupied for over a century after the Great War. The satellite array was a pre-War communications array and monitoring station focused on China's satellite network. When the bombs fell, it was shielded from a direct strike by the mountain but became highly irradiated. After the fall of the Master, many of the first generation super mutants headed east. At Black Mountain, they discovered the array was still operational and the mountain provided a secluded and defensible place in which to settle.
Over time, nightkin and the more thuggish second generation super mutants trickled into Black Mountain and this eventually caused problems. The de facto leader of the community was Marcus, from Broken Hills. Due to the influx of mentally unstable super mutants, including one particular nightkin named Tabitha, Marcus was pushed out of the group at Black Mountain. He left with a small group and went on to found Jacobstown.
Tabitha progressively turned the satellite array into a fortress against any and all outsiders. She quickly convinced the lower-intelligence super mutants and schizophrenic nightkin that she is a prophet, subsequently founding the "State of Utobitha" and ordering humans to be killed on sight. Tabitha now uses the array to broadcast her radio program's ramblings throughout much of the Wasteland.
On the road to Black Mountain, there is an overturned satellite dish that is used as a makeshift camp. It contains several trunks, two of which contain several hundred caps. There is also a transceiver, whereupon passing a 75 Speech check, Tabitha will declare death to all "dumb-dumbs," and after which the transceiver will stop working.
When entering the radio facility via the road, the closest building to the player character will be the prison building. Inside there is an imprisoned ghoul mechanic named Raul Tejada, who is a potential companion. The door to his room is locked, and the Courier must either have a Science skill of 100 to hack the nearby terminal, a key to open the door, or must access the second terminal near the building's entrance to read entry 6. This gives the Courier the password, which is "123456789," to unlock the door without hacking the terminal.
The storage building is located between the prison building and the broadcast building, and it contains several random items, a Nuka-Cola vending machine, locked chests, and a broken Mister Handy robot by the name of Rhonda (requires 60 Science to fix).
The broadcast building is at the far end of the property and is identifiable from the single satellite dish on the roof. The building is two floors high and has two doors on the ground floor, one of which is inaccessible from the outside. Once entering the building, the other door can be accessed, it leads to a staircase which then leads to Tabitha's room. A key is required to access her room, which can be found underneath the staircase. The door to the first floor inside the fence can be interacted with from the outside, potentially granting access to the top floor whilst bypassing most of the enemies.
- Cuddles' toy car - In the prison building, on the table. Details of the item are mentioned in the nearby computer terminal (note: unless you read the terminal it remains a generic toy car).
- Annabelle - A unique missile launcher, on the nightkin sniper standing on the radio tower platform.
- One Nuka-Cola Victory - In the storage building.
- A Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap - In the storage building, between two Sarsaparilla crates on the bottom shelf, left of the training dummy.
- Sheet music book - On a stand in Tabitha's room.
- Repair note #3 - A note, on a console in Tabitha's room.
- Treasure hunt - A note, attached to the training dummy's midsection inside the storage building.
Narrated by Neil
|#||Slide||Voice-over narration||In-game condition|
|1||Though some super mutants and nightkin continued to journey to the legendary Utobitha, they found little trace of its existence. Some eventually found their way to Jacobstown, but many wandered off into the wastes, confused and disheartened.||Kill Tabitha|
|2||Tabitha and Rhonda went east, through Caesar's land. Occasionally tales of their exploits found their way back west, though few believed them. Eventually the stories concerning the duo were collected and published, and proved to be quite popular with children.||Repair Tabitha's robot, Rhonda.|
|3||Black Mountain Radio continued to broadcast its peculiar form of propaganda. Raul Tejada faced his execution each day, though pardoned in the end. Travelers venturing too near Black Mountain continue to be harassed by Tabitha's followers.||Do not approach Black Mountain.|
|4||Tabitha, enraged by Raul's escape, took the remaining nightkin of Black Mountain with her and vanished without a trace. Travelers in the region soon learned to avoid the roads at night, as caravans were repeatedly attacked by unseen assailants.||Release Raul, do not complete Crazy, Crazy, Crazy.|
- When arriving at or standing around Black Mountain, the sound of thunder can be heard.
- By fast traveling or returning to Black Mountain, super mutant masters will spawn, generally in groups of threes. They will not be hostile to the player character, and cannot be spoken to. Killing one will not cause the others to attack. This is in line with Neil stating that super mutants are still streaming in, and he is going to stay and direct them to Jacobstown. The nightkin encountered will still be hostile however.
- If the Courier enters the storage room and doesn't fix Rhonda within three in-game days, she will disappear and won't come back. To repair Rhonda, don't enter the storage room until a 60 Science skill is achieved.
- The ambiance that plays at Black Mountain is the same ambiance that plays at Necropolis from Fallout, City of the Dead.
Black Mountain appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
- When using the terminal in the prison building, the screen may become blurred but not bring up the monitor interface for the computer. This will fix itself by leaving the building and re-entering but using scoped weapons will now show the image of the computer terminal. [verified]
- centaur will cause Rhonda and Tabitha to join the fight and attack you. After the original attackers are dead they will disappear altogether. Fast traveling to Jacobstown will show that Tabitha is still hostile to the player. [verified] When climbing back down the mountain after reuniting Tabitha with Rhonda, it is possible that attacking any nightkin or
- When fast traveling or climbing the mountain normally, random non-player character's will spawn at Tabitha's compound or in the crater area. They will be non-hostile to both the super mutants/nightkin and to the player. If the player starts a fight with the mutants/nightkin, they will not join regardless of faction reputation. [verified]
- When meeting Neil for the mission that begins with him, you may be given the optional task to meet him by the overturned satellite dish. Meeting him there, he will ask if you are ready. No matter what reply you give him ("Let's go" or the equivalent of "No not yet. There's some things I have to do first"), he will always respond to the latter. A possible fix for this is telling Neil you're ready to go BEFORE you talk to the super mutant on the radio. [verified]
- Sunny Smiles, an NCR trooper, a Powder Ganger, some Boomers, and a Great Khan. Surprisingly, they won't be attacked by the super mutants if you're around them, they will go straight to you and completely disregard the other non-player characters. [verified] A variety of non-player characters may spawn on the roads on your way to the summit including,
- Sometimes the nightkin sniper will not spawn, making it impossible to get Annabelle.[verified]
- The back door to the ground floor of the broadcast building can be entered from outside the fence. [verified]
- Sometimes a deathclaw may spawn in the crater at Black Mountain or along the winding road leading up the mountain. [verified]
- Black Mountain terminal entries#Log 672
- Black Mountain terminal entries#Log 675
- Black Mountain terminal entries#Log 676
- Black Mountain terminal entries#Alone at last!
- The Courier: "What makes this a "dangerous place?""
Neil: "You must've heard her radio broadcasts? Though why a human would follow her invitation here is beyond me... unless you didn't listen very closely. The voice on the radio belongs to Tabitha, the "supreme commander" of Black Mountain - or, as she calls it, the "State of Utobitha." She took control of this place almost two years ago. The Super Mutants here do whatever she says - and she says humans are to be killed on sight."
- The Courier: "How did Tabitha end up in control?"
Neil: "For years, Black Mountain was a peaceful community. Its leader, Marcus, broadcast an invitation to Mutants throughout the wasteland. That's how I found Black Mountain. So did others, most of them second generation Mutants. Marcus welcomed everyone - that was his mistake. The community ended up being mostly second gen - not very bright, but easy to influence. Fine, until the Nightkin came along, led by Tabitha... In a week she had most of the second-gens thinking she was some kind of prophet - and that she should be broadcasting her "truth," not Marcus. Marcus saw what was coming and decided to leave before things got out of hand. He smashed the radio and left to found Jacobstown."
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide, 5.07 Black Mountain pp. 398-401
"A slightly unhinged Super Mutant named Tabatha (and also Rhonda) has installed herself (with the indentured help of a Ghoul named Raul) in this mountain-top radar installation, and is broadcasting her particular brand of insanity throughout much of the Wasteland. There are two ways to reach her lair; both of which are covered in the side quest."