The Black Bear Lodge was a self-professed family-friendly hunting club and premier hunting destination near Grafton, back when the Toxic Valley was still a regular valley with forests and wildlife. It remained a tourist staple up until the devastating spread of pollution courtesy of Grafton Steel. During the hunting season, various hunting-related events were held for guests, including squirrel shooting lessons for children and a hunting tournament. This hunting tournament has persisted post-War, with the Huntmaster 4000 continuing to assign tournament targets to any passing hunters. Regular tournament rules continue to be enforced, such as weapons permissions (recently expanded to include hand grenades) and fair play rules (stipulating that animals need a fighting chance, so hunters must remain within ten thousand meters of the animal when shooting).
The lodge's owners, Carl and Westley Addington, were two wealthy brothers. After one hunting season, Westley Addington lamented the boredom of hunting the same prey every year. To alleviate this boredom, he proposed that they begin hunting humans instead, claiming that they would be protected from any reprisal by their extensive wealth. There are human remains found in the basement of the building.
Black Bear Lodge is a hunting lodge on the north edge of what used to be Grafton Lake. There is a parking lot in front of the building which contains several cars. There is also a shed to the northwest of the lodge which contains a power armor chassis and a cooking station. The building itself has three floors and a basement with an entrance on the first and second floors. The entrance on the second floor was likely the main entrance in pre-War times, as the Black Bear Lodge checkin terminal sits on a desk by this door. The trophy heads of various creatures are mounted on the walls throughout the lodge.
The first floor houses the lodge's bar which contains a grand piano and a pool table. There is a locked (Picklock 2) safe behind the bar, as well as a beer hat and chef hat. There are two flights of stairs on this level, one leading up to the second floor and one leading down to the basement.
The second floor contains a living area and kitchen. The kitchen contains several packages of pre-War food and cooking equipment. There are stairs here leading up to the third floor and down to the first floor.
The floor of the third level is mostly destroyed and makeshift planks form a precarious walkway that can be used to traverse the level. There are a few bedrooms still barely intact, one of which can only be accessed via the outside. A chem box and a locked (Picklock 0) suitcase can be found on this floor.
The basement houses the office where the Huntmaster is located. This office also contains a steamer trunk and another locked (Picklock 2) safe. There is an ammunition vending machine just outside this office. The basement also contains a brewing station and a separate workshop with bathtubs full of human remains, potential remnants of the time when the hunters stayed in the lodge sought out more exotic prey.
- The Addington's Dangerous Game - Holotape, in the basement of the lodge, on a stereo next to some assorted storage.
- Potential Vault-Tec bobblehead - In the basement, in the farthest room from the stairs, on the wooden desk near the door and above the green footlocker.
- Potential magazine - In the ruined attic section of the lodge, with the long tree trunk lying up against it. In an alcove close to the sleeping bag and duffle bag, by the wooden crate.
- Power armor chassis with T-series armor pieces - May spawn in the small red barn damaged by the falling tree.
- Potential weapon mod - Inside the basement, on a cabinet to the right of the brewing station.
The Black Bear Lodge appears only in Fallout 76.
Many of the furniture pieces in the lodge may not load, causing several items to appear as if to be floating.[verified]
- Black Bear Lodge terminal entries; Black Bear Lodge checkin
- Huntmaster: "Welcome to the Black Bear Lodge, a family friendly hunting club."
- Black Bear Lodge terminal entries; Black Bear Lodge checkin, Events
- The Addington's Dangerous Game