According to Johnson Nash, the Bison Steve Hotel used to be an old hotel and casino and a woman named Laurie used to rent out rooms in the hotel until she "took off" a few months before October 2281.
The semi-broken "El Diablo" roller coaster track wraps around the building. Up to three escaped convicts have taken positions along these tracks, and will often try to snipe the player off. Two more wait on the ground between the hotel and the Vikki and Vance Casino. The front door leads to the main floor; alternatively a door from the roller coaster track provides direct access to the second floor.
Six convicts and an escaped convict leader inhabit the main floor. One or two of them will usually be found near the entrance, with most of the rest remaining near the large dining room at the back, where they have kindled a campfire and attempted to fortify themselves with upturned tables.
Behind the reception desk at the entrance, a locked storage room can be accessed with 75 Lockpick skill or 25 Hacking. In addition to a medium-locked safe and other random loot this room is the one of the earliest locations a low-level player can reach which always contains Med-X.
The main dining hall where most of the convicts lurk can be assaulted head-on. Alternatively, with 25 Lockpick skill or the Bison Steve maintenance key from the front storage room, one can sneak around the back through the kitchen.
A stairwell leads to the second floor. Alternatively, the elevator can be repaired with a Repair skill of 35, though this provides no experience reward. Once repaired, it leads to the second floor from the first, and vice versa.
The upper floors are inhabited by six convicts. One of them holds the key to the medium-locked gun cabinet on the third floor. A Ransom note which appears to date from pre-War times rather than the current inhabitants.
There appears to be an inaccesible area northwest on the third floor that is blocked by a broken door on one side and a tilted desk in the hallway on the other side of the door. Jumping beside the desk in that hallway still results in being blocked, as does attempts in the adjacent hall, where a collapse blocks a portal through which one can glimpse the inaccessible area. There is no way from the roof or outside ledge into the blocked area.
- Bison Steve maintenance key - On the table in the Hard locked (or Easy hacked) storage room immediately to the right when entering.
- Tales of a Junktown Jerky Vendor - Northeast room on the first floor (there is a sign beside it that reads "Gift Shop"), lying on the ground against a Hard locked floor safe behind the cash registers.
- Lucky - A unique revolver in the same gift shop, inside the Hard (75) locked floor safe behind the cash registers.
- A Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap is on a sofa's end table next to a bottle (the side table which is opposite the elevator).
- Incinerator - Carried by the escaped convict leader in the main room on the first floor.
- Ransom note - on a desk in the southeastern-most room of the second floor.
- Numerous Psycho and Med-X on the second floor in a room past a locked door at the end of the corridor, on a desk with a suitcase, and in the bathroom. Further Psycho and Med-X can be found in a second bathtub off the room with the broken floor.
- A worn key - can found on one of the convicts' bodies. It opens a gun cabinet at the top of one of the two ramps leading up to the third floor.
- It is possible to get to the highest point of the roller coaster by following the track from behind the hotel or using the door on the second floor of the hotel. However, no items are to be found there.
- It is possible to get on the roof of the hotel but there is nothing there other than the sign and a roller coaster car on the lower roof.
- At 8 PM, room lights can be seen turning on from the exterior, but there's no corresponding event taking place on the interior of the building.
- When the Courier completes My Kind of Town with any choice of sheriff, any remaining convicts inside the Bison Steve will be killed; the Courier can safely enter the building and loot their corpses. Convicts outside, e.g. on the roller coaster, are not affected. If the NCR is placed in charge of the town, the Courier may also be met by a NCR trooper walking down one of the corridors and out of the hotel; the trooper is not named and will only give a stock response to inquiries.
- If the convicts are killed, the next time the player character enters the building their bodies will have despawned.
The Bison Steve Hotel appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 It is possible that the convict that is guarding Deputy Beagle will not attempt to harm the Courier, companions or Beagle when he is freed, even though the compass indicates that the convict is hostile. The convict may also be in a seated position in mid-air to one side of the stool that's he's supposed to be sitting on. [verified]