Tree Father Birch is the leader of the Treeminders in Oasis in Fallout 3.
Birch was born in 2227. While the village is ostensibly a democratic commune, Tree Father Birch sees himself as the group's spiritual and temporal leader. He has cast himself in role similar to a high priest, worshiping the god spirit, Harold.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
- Oasis: He greets the Lone Wanderer upon nearing the entrance. After leading them to the center of the grove, Birch will enter a conversation, which will begin the Oasis quest.
Effects of player's actions
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
Oasis druid hood
Brass knuckles or
combat knife or
|10mm round||Key to Oasis|
- "I'm so glad you're here. It's been a while since anyone's visited us, and He's been waiting for someone like yourself to arrive."
- "Yes, I've been pondering that riddle myself for some time now and I think I know what He's trying to tell us. The Great One's influence is growing and soon it will break free of the confines of this secluded vale. We can't allow Oasis to call attention to itself like that. It would be the end of Him."
- "He is the One Who Grows, He is the One Who Gives and He is the One Who Guides. No one speaks His name out of reverence for His majesty. Thanks to Him, the Treeminders have a home."
Tree Father Birch appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
Birch is the common name for genus Betula, a type of tree. All of the human residents in Oasis have horticultural names.
- Birch: "I know why you're here and despite what my wife thinks, I know you'll do what's best for Oasis. After all, He chose you and He would never want to put us in harm's way."
- The Lone Wanderer: "How did the Treeminders begin?"
Laurel: "I'm afraid I can take none of the credit for my husband's creation. I arrived perhaps a year after him, well after he established the Treeminders."
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.101: "Tree Father Birch
The 50-year-old chief of Oasis, Birch spends most of his time in the Pavilion, sitting on his throne, occasionally eating, and sleeping for a few hours at night. He also walks around Oasis, overseeing the village more directly. While the village is ostensibly a democratic commune, Tree Father Birch sees himself as the group's spiritual and temporal leader. He has cast himself in role similar to a high priest, worshipping the god-spirit Harold."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)