This area includes the family house, the shop, and the salvage yard transformed by raiders to include platforms and such. In the salvage yard is a train car with a bunker. It appears that previously, a battle was fought here between super mutants and raiders, with the former coming out on top and claiming residency.
Inside the tipped train car is a hatch leading to a bunker. To open the hatch, follow the wires leading from it to a generator nearby and activate it. The bunker is the broadcast location for the Miller family radio signal and the Millers' skeletons (along with the graves of their children) can be found inside. The bunker contains Big John's safe key which can be used to open the Master safe on the second floor of the nearby house and the safe under the register at the front desk of the shop.
- Railway rifle - In John Miller's bunker. It is located in a blue railway carriage just behind and to the right of his house, beyond the wire fence, as you exit the rear of the house. If you are having trouble finding it, look for a wire that runs through the junkyard and follow it. It also respawns as soon as the location itself resets.
- Tales of a Junktown Jerky Vendor issue #1 - On the small table with the lantern, inside the caravan perched atop the containers, adjacent to the steamer trunk.
- Mini nuke - In the same hut as the skill magazine, in an open refrigerator and between the orange storage container and the yellow forklift.
- Super mutant arm guards - In the same hut as the skill magazine.
- To the south, there is an unmarked destroyed military checkpoint with a Mr. Gutsy patrolling the area. A set of leveled power armor can be found near the guard scaffolding waving the flag.
- Bottlecap mine - On a table on the top floor of the store.
- Big John's safe key - Next to the radio in the shelter (could be lying on the floor behind the radio).
- Suicide note - Next to a skeleton west of the salvage.
- Once the Brotherhood of Steel arrives in the Commonwealth, a battle may take place between them and the resident super mutants.
- After completing the main game, down the road, a squad of the Sole Survivor's associated faction (Institute, Railroad, Brotherhood of Steel, Minutemen) will be present at the military checkpoint.
- PC Playstation 4 Turning the generator on before attempting to open the bunker could cause the glitch mentioned above, but before actually entering for the first time. [verified]
- Reloading the game to a point before activating the generator, then attempting to open the bunker first before activating the generator may solve this issue.
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The bunker may become sealed again after exit. The generator has already been switched on, so there is no way to enter the bunker besides using console.[verified]
- On PC, the console command coc BigJohnsSalvage01 will teleport the player character into the shelter.