|For an overview of shotgun models, see shotgun.|
A shotgun, also called a "scattergun," is a firearm designed to shoot a multitude of lead or steel balls of varying sizes, greatly increasing the weapon's hit potential. This makes it very effective at hunting game.[Fallout 2d20 1] However, the accuracy and power found at close range starts to diminish as the target gets farther away. Shotguns designed for the military's use are often called "combat shotguns."
As compared to the standard sawed-off, the Big Boomer has a much darker color scheme with heavier rusting, and the words "Big Boomer" stenciled onto the grip in faded white paint. It excels over its default counterpart when it comes to sheer damage, delivering 20 more points of total possible damage. In addition, Big Boomer also has a slightly tighter spread, lower AP cost, and fires slightly faster. The only major drawback is that the common sawed-off shotgun is classified as a holdout weapon, whereas the Big Boomer is not.
Big Boomer can fire a total of about 395 times, or 790 standard rounds, the equivalent of 395 reloads, from full condition before breaking. This is exactly the same amount as its common variant.
|Standard, 4/0 buck, slug, coinshot, bean bag, flechette, Dragon's Breath & pulse slug||395||395|
|Magnum & 4/0 buck Magnum||343||343|
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
Behind the scenes
|The following is based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content.|
Within the game's files exists an unused texture for the Big Boomer. It uses the Fallout 3 model and only differs from that in the color of the wood and the words Big Boomer written down the side of the handgrip.
|End of information based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content.|
- When in first person view, the weapon looks fine, but when in third person view, the grip of the gun can be detached from the two barrels. [verified]
- Mick at Mick & Ralph's. [verified] In unpatched versions, it can be bought from
- I've Got Shotgun" damage challenge. [verified] Big Boomer does not contribute to the "
- Occasionally after you kill Old Lady Gibson she will not have the Big Boomer in her inventory. [verified]
- Unused texture for the Big Boomer \textures\weapons\1handpistol\bigboomernv.dds
- Fallout 2d20 Rulebook p. 98: "Before the Great War, double-barrel shotguns were mainly used for hunting and home defense, and this has changed little. They are break-action and come in an either a side-by-side or over-and-under barrel configuration. Simple to make and maintain, these shotguns are seen frequently in the Commonwealth and the rest of the wasteland."