Gunnery Sergeant Benjamin "Benji" Montgomery is a United States Marine serving with a U.S. Army Airborne unit fighting the invading Red Chinese during Operation: Anchorage. He is one of the soldiers encountered in the Anchorage Reclamation simulation in 2277.
Background[edit | edit source]
Sergeant Benjamin Montgomery has been a field soldier fighting on the Anchorage front line for several tours, and he is part of the backbone of General Chase's army. He is assigned as the Lone Wanderer's active party member and soon becomes a confidante, fighting alongside them during many crucial stages in the Battle of Anchorage. Montgomery is an exceptionally adept soldier and is loyal and dexterous. He uses more informal nicknames only after becoming friendly.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- The Guns of Anchorage: Benjamin will help the Lone Wanderer as they wake up when first entering the simulation. Benjamin will then hand them their equipment and begins climbing the cliffs, leaving the Lone Wanderer to take the long way to the Cave Outpost. At arrival, both Benjamin and the player character will proceed with destroying the artillery guns.
- Paving the Way: Montgomery is a recruitable strike team leader and assists with the securing of the listening post, along with helping in the destruction of the fuel tanks and the Chimera Armor Depot.
- Operation: Anchorage!: Benjamin alone accompanies the Lone Wanderer through the pulse field, and into the Chinese Compound.
Effects of player's actions[edit | edit source]
- If the player character kills the quartermaster while Benjamin can see them, he will become hostile. However, he is the only one who does so. A chaotic fight between Benjamin and all other American soldiers and grease-monkeys will then ensue.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- Montgomery commands the player character's strike team and reinforcements can be ordered through Benjamin whenever the squad stops.
- Upon killing General Jingwei, Benjamin doesn't freeze like the rest of the soldiers, and the Lone Wanderer can have one last conversation with him before they are finally dismissed by General Chase. Benjamin will approach the Lone Wanderer, salute, and express his hope that the two can enjoy a drink or two together sometime later in the future.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Montgomery's rank and dialogue indicate that he is a Marine, as the rank of Gunnery Sergeant does not exist in the Army. Gunnery Sergeant, or "Gunny," is the Marine equivalent of an Army Sergeant First-Class.
- At the beginning of the simulation, Benjamin carries a wasteland-version of the silenced 10mm pistol, while the player character carries a pre-War variant.
- Benjamin has an extremely high hit point count, so much so that on hard difficulty or lower, he is virtually indestructible, being able to deal with every hostile encounter single-handedly if one wishes.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "I'm gonna push you bastards right back to the Great Wall if I have to!"
- "Don't mess with the U.S.!"
- "Here's a little something from Uncle Sam!"
- "Only good Commie's a dead one."
- "Got a present for ya, Commie!"
- "Wake up...Ole' Benji's got something for ya!"
- "If I live just one more day without seeing another catwalk, I'll die a happy man."
- "And THAT'S how we do things in the Corps!"
- "Get out of my country, Commie!"
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 During the take over of the radio offices when you eliminate everyone, he will approach you and no dialogue will play. Subtitles will show but you will be stuck in place. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Benjamin will run back to previous cover spots instead of the nearest when confronted with hostiles, the only ways to get him back are to kill the hostiles single-handed, run directly into battle or go back to him and gain his attention. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Benjamin will not register hostiles until they are at a very close range, even then only when they attack him. [verified]
References[edit | edit source]
- Benjamin Montgomery: "And THAT'S how we do things in the Corps!"
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census; Gunnery Sergeant Benjamin Montgomery