Montgomery has been a field soldier fighting on the Anchorage front line for several tours, part of General Chase's army.[Non-canon 1] He is assigned as the Lone Wanderer's active party member and soon becomes a confidante, fighting alongside them during many crucial stages in the Battle of Anchorage.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- The Guns of Anchorage: Benjamin will help the Lone Wanderer as they wake up when first entering the simulation. Benjamin will then hand them their equipment and begins climbing the cliffs, leaving the Lone Wanderer to take the long way to the Cave Outpost. At arrival, both Benjamin and the player character will proceed with destroying the artillery guns.
- Paving the Way: Montgomery is a recruitable strike team leader and assists with the securing of the listening post, along with helping in the destruction of the fuel tanks and the Chimera Armor Depot.
- Operation: Anchorage!: Benjamin alone accompanies the Lone Wanderer through the pulse field, and into the Chinese Compound.
Effects of player's actions
- Killing the quartermaster will cause Benjamin Montgomery to turn hostile. As a result, the American grease-monkeys will attack Benjamin.[verified]
- Montgomery commands the player character's strike team and reinforcements can be ordered through Benjamin whenever the squad stops.
- Upon killing General Jingwei, Benjamin doesn't freeze like the rest of the soldiers, and the Lone Wanderer can have one last conversation with him before they are finally dismissed by General Chase. Benjamin will approach the Lone Wanderer, salute, and express his hope that the two can enjoy a drink or two together sometime later in the future.
At the beginning of the simulation, Benjamin carries a wasteland-version of the silenced 10mm pistol, while the player character carries a pre-War variant.
- "I'm gonna push you bastards right back to the Great Wall if I have to!"
- "Don't mess with the U.S.!"
- "Here's a little something from Uncle Sam!"
- "Only good Commie's a dead one."
- "Got a present for ya, Commie!"
- "Wake up...Ole' Benji's got something for ya!"
- "If I live just one more day without seeing another catwalk, I'll die a happy man."
- "And THAT'S how we do things in the Corps!"
- "Get out of my country, Commie!"
- During the take over of the radio offices when you eliminate everyone, he will approach you and no dialogue will play. Subtitles will show but you will be stuck in place. [verified]
- Benjamin will run back to previous cover spots instead of the nearest when confronted with hostiles, the only ways to get him back are to kill the hostiles single-handed, run directly into battle or go back to him and gain his attention. [verified]
- Benjamin will not register hostiles until they are at a very close range, even then only when they attack him. [verified]
- Benjamin Montgomery: "Wake up...Ole' Benji's got something for ya!"'
(Benjamin Montgomery's dialogue)