| ||For other characters in the Fallout universe named Ben, see Ben.|
Canning isn't like those other lay-abouts, waiting on the threshold of a settlement for a hand-out. No, Canning is an adventurer who is almost completely unprepared for wasteland exploring, a fact he proves when he rushes up to you. He is friendly though, for a beggar.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character can be enslaved with the Mesmetron.|
Ben Canning appears in a random encounter. Upon meeting, the Lone Wanderer may choose to give him water or let him die. Unlike the water beggars found outside Megaton, Tenpenny Tower, and Rivet City who will only accept purified water, Ben will also accept dirty water. However, he will not accept Aqua Pura, Aqua Cura, or holy water.
If one has both purified and dirty water in their inventory, the game will prioritize the latter over the former. If given water, he proceeds to drink it repeatedly; when activated, he apologetically tells the character that he's not up to traveling yet. Standing after a minute or two, he simply says "Good to see you again, friend!" If one refuses to give him water, he will ask them to shoot him in the head, because he is out of ammunition, or else he would do it himself. If one grants this request, they will receive negative Karma.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
- If he is given water, he will follow the same looping route as the caravan merchants.
- If he is not given water, he will die.
- If attacked after being given the water he will reply "I'm on your side" instead of instantly attacking.
- Although he is equipped with a laser pistol, Ben only carries microfusion cells, as opposed to the correct ammunition, the energy cell. As he has no ammunition for his weapon, he is forced to fight with his fists if engaged in combat.
- It is possible to reverse pickpocket energy cells onto Ben. This will allow him to use his laser pistol to defend himself, but the act itself will result in negative Karma.
- When given water, he takes out an empty Nuka-Cola bottle or a beer bottle instead of the usual plastic water bottles.
Ben Canning appears only in Fallout 3.
- PC He may be hostile upon first meeting him. [verified]
- PC When joining the caravan route he may take the place of a caravan merchant, leaving one of the existing merchants 'stuck' at their current stop. [verified]