Background[edit | edit source]
Belching Betty is an old Garrahan Mining Company mine shaft. It was sealed following an underground fire that could not be extinguished by conventional means. Following the Great War and the emergence of the Scorched, it was turned into a containment area and later the final test site for the Fire Breathers, where they proved whether they had the skills and tenacity needed of the Responders' most elite unit.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The mining shaft is relatively straightforward. The staging area contains a locked safe on the platform above the office, a first aid kit, and a terminal that opens the security gate into the mine. Face protection (gas mask, Fire Breather helmet, power armor helmet, etc.) is necessary for surviving in the toxic environment of the mine. The ground is also rife with burning fissures, so caution is advised.
The entrance to the mine enters into an office space, with some lockers and broken terminals. A warning stating that the mine is closed is also found here. The start of the mine tracks is found here, and they can be followed to the end of the mine. Every part of the mine after this section contains several enemies and toxic fumes.
When following the tracks, the next section is a general processing area. Locker rooms can be found here, as well as wrecked trains and tracks. Further within reveal the bodies of Fire Breathers trainees Timothy Wolfe, Sylvester Tate, and Andrew Rhodes.
Following the tracks south will lead to another, smaller processing area, likely used to load cargo onto the trains. Near the side of the room is a fenced area, along with a staircase. This staircase leads down to a large mining area with the emergency beacon and is heavily guarded by Scorched. When descending the staircase to the room, the staircase leads to a fenced-in storage platform, with a staircase to the main area at the end of the fenced-in area. The beacon is in the center of the room on a raised platform, and several old generators surround the platform. The bodies of Rita Wilcox and Maxine Ballard can be found at the emergency signal.
The following crafting stations can be found at this location:
- Power armor chassis
- Chemistry station - Past the stairs after the emergency beacon area, at the very top of the non-working elevator.
- Armor workbench - At the first workstation shack on the second floor.
- Weapons workbench - Above the emergency beacon area, on the supply room level.
- Tinker's workbench - In the fusion generator room, near the emergency beacon area.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Scorchslayer's journal - Part 1 - Holotape, on Andrew Rhodes' corpse, outside the locker room below the white clock.
- Scorchslayer's journal - Part 2 - Holotape, on Sylvester Tate's corpse, between two red pillars, just before the tunnel splits.
- Scorchslayer's journal - Part 3 - Holotape, on Rita Wilcox's corpse, below the emergency beacon button.
- Fire Breathers final exam briefing - Holotape, given to the player character by Bernie during Into the Fire.
- Welcome to the Fire Breathers - Holotape, received at the end of Into the Fire's final exam.
- Anti-Scorched training pistol, Fire Breather uniform and helmet - Received at the start of Into the Fire's final exam.
- Four potential Vault-Tec bobbleheads:
- Inside the white-and-orange trailer across the tracks immediately after climbing the tall stairs after hitting the emergency button, on top of the toolbox (one of two) near the chemistry station.
- In the main cavern generator room, by the body of Fire Breather Rita Wilcox, on a metal table by a mainframe computer between the two light-blue generators.
- Down the right tunnel on top of one of the shelves in the storage room just down the metal stairs.
- In the long conveyor belt room near the exit, at the end of a section of rail.
- Four potential magazines:
- In the area containing the first enemies. Take the first stairs on the left side that lead to the upper floor of the shack. Take a right, past the petrified corpse reaching for the toolbox. The magazine can be found on top of the turquoise computer, right above the red numbers that read "-07958:16."
- In the northwest corner of the second metal maintenance office above the interior mine tracks, near the mainframe computer with the orange tool case on it.
- In the main cavern just after the shaft stairway descent, in the blue metal maintenance hut with the trunk and the Garrahan Mining logo on it, near the wastebasket and two filing cabinets.
- In the room with the fusion core generator after the shaft and stairwell descent, in the mesh walled area, behind the giant boiler machine. Near the west end of the main generator cabin.
- Near the mine entrance, inside the concrete building with the Fire Marshal.
- Power armor chassis - Can spawn in the small bunker with the Responder robot just outside the entrance to the mine.
- Two fusion cores:
- One in a fusion generator located just before reaching the emergency beacon button, opposite a tinker's workbench.
- Another right next to the red steamer trunk, on top of a file cabinet, next to a small lamp.
- Potential armor plan - On the second floor of the first workstation shack, on a table.
- Submachine gun - Near the body of Timothy Wolfe.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Belching Betty appears only in Fallout 76.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 76 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide p.372: "06. BELCHING BETTY
Check the maintenance hut on the surface first: Be sure you’re properly protected with a fireproof kit (or Power Armor) before entering “Mine Shaft Beatrice,” the official name of this fiery and hellish molten mine interior. Despite the extreme heat, there are some choice items to gather, as well as some rare Black Titanium to mine."
(Fallout 76 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Atlas of Appalachia)