Founded in 1838, Beckley grew around the nearby coal mine until the mine closed and a museum opened nearby to showcase its history. The city was known as being the birthplace of Shannon Rivers, who was most notably known as the voice actress for the Mistress of Mystery. The town was caught in the middle of a competition between two locally owned and operated sandwich shops, Sal's Grinders and Big Papa Moe's Lip Smackin' Sandwich Shack, in 2077. Before the war, Hornwright Industrial displayed the new air purifiers at North Beckley.
In addition, the city was torn apart amid the labor disputes taking over the rest of Appalachia and the nearby town of Welch, as workers fought against the actions of Atomic Mining Services and Hornwright Industrial Mining Company, who sought to replace their human workforce with robots. At the time of the Great War, the National Guard was brought in to help contain the riots with the use of HalluciGen gas, assisted by a fleet of RobCo strikebreaker robots. Their orders were to pacify or kill protesters.
After the Great War, the remnants of the miner blockades still stood, especially on the north side of town. These defenses were further augmented by raiders, though they were later killed or otherwise driven out of the city by 2102.
Beckley is a fairly large town in the Ash Heap, similar in size to towns like Lewisburg or Harpers Ferry. The main points of interest in this town are Sal's Grinders and Big Papa Moe's Lip Smackin' Sandwich Shack and the Beckley Coal Mine Exhibit, which can be found on the west side of town. Scattered on the rooftop are a few musical instruments that are part of the miscellaneous quest, Play Music on the Rooftops of Beckley. There is scant loot to be collected and an armor and weapon workbench to use, along with potential power armor.
The town follows an axial blueprint, with Kanawha St. being the main and biggest street running north to south. It is blocked off by pre-War barricades adorned with destroyed robots and protest signs. Most of the buildings on the street are destroyed or boarded up. Sal's Grinders is entered on the righthand side of the street, through which the upper level of Beckley is accessible. The rooftops are littered with pre-War wooden shacks with bridges connecting one row with the other. Around the shacks are some beds and crafting tables; weapons workbenches, a chemistry station and cooking stations. Kanawha St. intersects with Ewart Ave., where there are a series of boarded-up buildings along the road. On the east side of town is a rest stop with loot inside. On the west side of town is the Beckley mine exhibit public workshop.
- Warning - Note, located on the roof of the building across from Sal's Grinders, on a table next to a steel guitar.
- Top of the World ad packet - Holotape, inside the gift shop on the east side of town, on the front counter by the register inside of Beckley Coal Mine Exhibit.
- Letter from Vault-Tec - Note, on the south side of the town, on the table in the upper floor of a wrecked house beside the street.
- Two potential Vault-Tec bobbleheads:
- In the middle of town, on the south side of the upper defensive raider wall, on the small green card table.
- On the east side of town, on the roof of the inaccessible store just south of the gas station, on the inside of the "C" shape of the air conditioning duct; reached via the rooftops of the taller structures to the west.
- Two potential magazines:
- On the north-east side of the gas station, in the women's bathroom, behind a locked door (Picklock 0), on top of a toilet by a skeleton.
- On the north end of town near the water tower, on the roof of the building with the Nuka-Cherry sign on the brickwork (accessed via debris) among the planks and rubble near a sofa and small metal blue cooler.
- Power armor chassis with T-series armor pieces - South side of the central fortification wall, near the IFV, with a fusion core and random armor parts.
- Stealth Boy - On the roof of the buildings with a makeshift shack, next to a couch, on a small table.
- Potential recipe - At the northeast side of town, underneath the left side of the counter in the gift shop, near the lake.
Beckley appears only in Fallout 76.
Behind the scenes
Discover Beckley" and by extension "Discover Locales within the Ash Heap" previously would not finish due to an issue with the challenge's conditions. This has since been fixed.[patched]The challenge for "
- Fallout 76 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide pp. 374-375: "10. BECKLEY
The town of Beckley has seen some of the most acrimonious rivalry between mine workers and operators bringing robot automation to Appalachia. Remnants of miner blockades can still be seen, especially on the north side of town, as you travel uphill to main street, where Raiders further augmented the pre-bombs defenses. Now the place is filled with other foes. Locate the rusty fire escape stairs on the outer sides of the buildings to most easily reach the rooftop shacks as you explore and scavenge this old mining town."
(Fallout 76 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Atlas of Appalachia)
- Sal's Grinders terminal entries; Sal's personal terminal
- Air Purifiers advertisement poster