|This is an overview article, listing content appearing across multiple games.|
Bears are animals from before the Great War.
Several mutated species of bear have come to roam the wastes following the war. Bears typically inhabited forested areas of North America, but occasionally transitioned into grassy plain, alpine and tundra regions.
Depending on species, bears stand between six and eight feet tall and weigh several hundred pounds. Despite their large size, they are capable of traveling at impressive speeds. Coupled with their great strength, bears are able hunters. They have an omnivorous diet, ranging from large game and fish to berries and roots. They are naturally territorial creatures and often compete with other bears for their territory. Their territory serves as hunting grounds and contains their den for shelter and winter hibernation.
- A brown bear variant. A grizzly bear appears on the official seal of the New California Republic and on the New California Republic Rangers logo.
- A two-headed California grizzly bear is seen on the flag of the New California Republic, which is adapted from the pre-War state flag of California.
- A mounted grizzly bear head can be found in Van Lowe Taxidermy, where they are mentioned on a terminal. There are bear statues found in both Appalachia and Nuka-World.
- Brown bears were stocked and experimented on in Vault 96. However, there is no trace of them to be found in Appalachia.
Yao guai are a descendant of black bears, common in Appalachia, the Capital Wasteland, the Commonwealth and Zion Canyon. These mutated bears are vicious predators that attack nearly anything on sight.
- Story Time Miss Nanny mentions bears during the story "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" that she will tell to the Vault Dweller as part of a random encounter.
- Grizzly bears are mentioned as being imported to Van Lowe Taxidermy.
- In Appalachia, paintings of pre-War bears can be found decorating ruins. Plush teddy bears are also found, along with bear skin rugs.
Grizzly and brown bears are mentioned in Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas, and in the Fallout 4 add-on Nuka-World, Fallout 76. Yao guai variants appear in Fallout 3, the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Honest Hearts, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76.
Behind the scenes
Bears were planned for inclusion in the canceled Van Buren.
- Tenpenny Tower terminal entries; Exploration database, Yao Guai
- Vault 96 terminal entries; Biology workstation, V03-880-1691
- Story Time Miss Nanny: "Once upon a time, there were three bears. A mama bear, a papa bear, and a baby bear."
(Miss Nanny's dialogue)