Cleanup (Issue: just needs additional references in background section to make it a bit more solid)
To meet Nukapedia's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by the article.
|For the simulation in Fallout 3's Operation: Anchorage add-on, see Anchorage Reclamation simulation.|
The Battle of Anchorage. also known as the Liberation of Anchorage, Anchorage Campaign, and the Anchorage Reclamation, was fought between the United States of America and China, sparked by the enemy invasion of Alaska in the winter of 2066.
With conditions deteriorating between the U.S. and China, a military presence in Alaska was established to prevent a possible invasion across the Bering Strait. With increasingly scarce oil reserves, a last deep-sea deposit below the Pacific Ocean was claimed by China before allegedly being sabotaged by American special operatives. Strained relationships spiraled downward into conflict as Chinese forces marched into Alaska, officially starting the Sino-American War. Under the command of General Jingwei, the Chinese Army took control of Alaska's oil pipelines and reserves.[Non-canon 1]
Under the leadership of General Constantine Chase, the U.S. Army battled fiercely at the front lines of the conflict before Chase began deploying specialized power armor units, such as the first introduction of both the T-45 series. While the T-45 acted as an effective counter to the Chinese forces in the region, it was a stopgap measure, and merely stabilized the front, due to among other issues, the rapid consumption of energy cells. It would not be until the introduction of the T-51 series power armor, series that Americans would begin pushing the Chinese back. Future power armor suits were further refined as the conflict dragged on, and the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was reclaimed. With American resources flowing through Canada, strained diplomatic relations between the two countries became problematic. Canada was militarily annexed with the near sabotage of the Alaskan pipeline.[Non-canon 1]
With a combination of inclement weather, constant American bombardment, trench warfare, and U.S. power armor units attacking mainland China, the Chinese supply lines were severely weakened. By January 2077, the city of Anchorage was finally liberated and the Chinese presence was removed.[Non-canon 1] A commemorative memorial was erected in Washington, D.C., in honor of the soldiers who fought and perished for the United States. Violence between America and pockets of Canadian freedom fighters continued throughout 2077, up until the Great War. According to the Defense Intelligence Agency, the full clean up of the remnant Chinese force was achieved on January 28, 16:32PM, and the U.S. lowered their DEFCON status to DEFCON 3.
The occupation lasted over a decade with the United States unable to rout Chinese entrenchments until the deployment of the first power armor suits. The T-45 series power armor suits acted as a stop-gap and halted Chinese progression until the T-51 power armor suits deployment putting the Chinese on the backfoot.[Non-canon 2][Non-canon 3] After the Battle of Anchorage, more advanced power armor units such as the T-60 series power armor saw extensive use after the battle.
The Battle of Anchorage appears as a simulation in the Fallout 3 add-on Operation Anchorage and in the intro of Fallout 4. The location is also mentioned in Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3 and Fallout 76.
Behind the scenes
- Capitol Post terminal entries; Capital Post Top Stories --January 11, 2077, Commies Crushed - Alaska Liberated!
- Fallout 4 loading screens: "The T-51 series of Power Armor was the pinnacle of mechanized protection before the Great War. First introduced in the Battle of Anchorage, it is highly valued today for its increased protective capabilities."
- Switchboard terminal entries; Central terminal, DEFCON Status - 2077
- Fallout 4 loading screens: "The T-60 series of Power Armor saw extensive use by the United States Army after the Battle of Anchorage. In fact, soldiers in T-60 Power Armor were among those trying to retain order on October 23, 2077 - the day America fell to atomic war..."
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p. 43:
"Operation: Anchorage Factions, Chinese Army Simulated U.S. Army Simulated"
"With conditions deteriorating between the United States and China, a military presence in Alaska was established to prevent a possible invasion across the Bering Strait. With increasingly scarce oil reserves, a last deep-sea deposit below the Pacific Ocean was claimed by China before allegedly being sabotaged by American special operatives. Strained relationships spiraled downward into conflict as China marched on Alaska, and the Sino-American War of 2066—2077 erupted. Under the command of General Jingwei, the Chinese Army usurped control of Alaska's oil pipeline and reserves. In response, the Americans began what came to be called "The Alaskan Reclamation Operation" (2067—2077).
Under the leadership of General Constantine Chase, the U.S. Army battled fiercely to the front lines of the conflict before Chase began deploying specialized Power Armor units that began pushing the Chinese back. Future Power Armor suits were further refined as the conflict dragged on, and the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was reclaimed. With resources flowing through Canada, strained diplomatic tensions between Canada and the United States becoming problematic, and Canadian forces attacking the pipeline, the country was annexed.
A combination of inclement weather, constant American bombardment and trench warfare, and U.S. Powered Armor unit attacks sweeping through mainline China, the Chinese supply lines weakened and finally broke down completely. By the beginning of 2077, the city of Anchorage was finally liberated, the Chinese eradicated, and the operation deemed a success. A commemorative memorial was erected in Washington, D.C., in honor of the soldiers who fought and perished for the greater American good. Violence between America and pockets of Canadian freedom fighters continued throughout 2077, until the Great War obliterated almost all infrastructure, commerce, and human life."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide faction profiles)
- Fallout Bible 0: "2067 The first suit of Power Armor is deployed in Alaska. While lacking the full mobility of future versions, this Power Armor is incredibly effective against Chinese tanks and infantry. Its ability to carry heavy ordinance becomes key in various localized conflicts, and it has the power to destroy entire towns without endangering the wearer. China rushes to create its own versions, but they are many years behind the United States."
- Fallout Shelter item description: "Deployed pre-War against Chinese tanks. That's right – tanks."
(T-45d power armor (Fallout Shelter))
- Armstrong: "I am trained in the use of light and heavy assault weapons and have fifty three hours of field experience in the T-45d power armor, citizen. Most of those were during the Anchorage Reclamation."
(Armstrong dialogue file)