Barney Rook is a native resident of Salem, where his family has been living for centuries. He inherited his family's house from his ancestors. Dedicated to defending his hometown from anything that the Commonwealth could throw at it, particularly the mirelurks and the Children of Atom cultists residing at the nearby crater, Barney founded the Salem Volunteer Militia to aid in his mission of protecting his hometown from potential threats. He installed several automated turrets in strategic positions around town to help combat the local mirelurk infestation, which he has been unable to activate due to the onslaught of the mutated crabs.
He is a seasoned mirelurk hunter, killing the creatures for a living. Barney's personal weapon is a custom hunting rifle called Reba. He has been working on an improved version called Reba II, demonstrating his skills as an expert gunsmith. The weapon is still being perfected by the time the Sole Survivor arrives in Salem.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character starts quests.|
|Flannel shirt and jeans
Gray knit cap
Bottle cap x48
.308 round x12
- He is the sole living person of Salem.
- Barney carries the key to the locked room containing Reba II on his person. He will also occasionally open the door himself while wandering about, granting access to the rifle without completing his quest.
Barney Rook appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Barney Rook may be a reference to Burt Gummer, a character from the Tremors movie series played by Michael Gross. Barney and Burt both suffer from paranoia and have a heavily defended home. Barney's rifle, Reba, may be a reference to actress Reba McEntire, the actress playing Burt's wife in Tremors 1.
- Barney may also be a reference to Sergent Shadwell from Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Both are part of a single purpose militia composed of primarily one person filling all the roles. Sergeant Shadwell is the leader of the Witchfinder Army, and Barney can be found in Salem, a place associated with witches. Both characters seem relatively hostile to the world at first appearance but are trying to help people the best they can.
- Barney might also be a reference to Barney Fife from the Andy Griffith show, played by Don Knotts. This is evidenced by his somewhat over-confident but bumbling personality displayed to the Sole Survivor when you encounter him.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Upon entering Salem, the player character may find Barney dead at the top of his house. Sometimes Barney's body falls down onto the overhang above the front door. This is noted by receiving the quest "kill the mirelurks" upon approaching Rook's house, even if they haven't spoken to him. The quest "kill the mirelurks" may not appear, however. Resurrect him before killing the three mirelurks and the quest can be completed normally. On PC, he can be revived by opening the console, clicking on his body and then using console command recycleactor and then player.setstage 0001243d6 15 to solve the Talk To Barney line. [verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One After finishing Barney's quests he may disappear from Salem. On PC, he can be returned by using console command player.placeatme 0004d472. [verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One After talking to Barney and accepting the sidequest, Barney may immediately open the door to the room with Reba II, allowing the player character to take the weapon without having first activated the turrets. [verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Barney will simply not exist, with two dead mirelurks at his house, and the "Inaccessible" gate open. This makes interacting with the quest, and his basement, impossible. Console commands may summon him. However for console gamers this may pose an issue.[verified]
- PC One may go upstairs and flip the circuit breaker to the gate however this appears to do nothing as well. [verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One When he is missing searching the town seems to come to no avail, and Barney's turrets are invincible. Shooting the combat inhibitors of the turrets seem to spark them as an enemy; however that reverts on the next visit. [verified]
- PC For those who are really wanting the Guns & Bullets mag and Reba II, and who have been unable to respawn Barney or restart the quest there is another option. Go to the trapdoor in Barney's house and then while looking at the door open the console and then left click on the door. Numbers will appear giving the ID of the door, then simply type unlock, this will unlock the trapdoor allowing entry into the basement, the same command can then be used on the door leading to Barney's workshop and the Reba II. As of 7/23/16 doing this does not lock achievements.