|Side quest: Banished from the Institute|
|Become an enemy of the Institute.|
|Return to or escape from the Institute.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
|Leads to: Form Ranks|
There are multiple ways to get banished, all of which first require completing Institutionalized:
- Kill Father or any other named Institute personnel.
- Talk to Father negatively at the end of The Battle of Bunker Hill.
- Board the Vertibird that spawns on the Prydwen to Mass Fusion with the Brotherhood of Steel during Spoils of War.
- Support the Minutemen during Pinned. Note that this option is only available if Taking Independence has been completed.
To exit the Institute, simply head for the central elevator and head up to the relay room. Look for the bright red emergency relay button on the side of the main console just outside the relay room and push it to activate the emergency relay. Walk into the relay room and the countdown begins, upon reaching half-way through the countdown, Father will speak over the intercom. If he was killed, an Institute scientist will speak instead, expressing horror at the fact that the Sole Survivor has killed their own son, and tells them to run and promises to kill the player character once found.
If outside of the Institute, return to that location. The Sole Survivor will teleport back to the relay, and Father will speak over the intercom.
- Banishment fails all active Institute quests and prevents starting any new ones. The ability to teleport (relay) is lost immediately.
- Under most circumstances, becoming enemies with the Institute immediately fails Underground Undercover and any active, related Railroad quests and starts Burning Cover instead. However, if the player has not completed the quest Tradecraft and followed Deacon it is possible to continue with the Railroad storyline as Underground Undercover will not immediately fail.
- If the player character did not complete From Within for the Brotherhood of Steel, then Liberty Reprimed will have additional phases that need to be completed.
- If the player character did not yet recruit eight settlements for the Minutemen, the quest Form Ranks will be given. Once that quest and Defend the Castle are completed, the player character can talk to Preston Garvey to begin The Nuclear Option for the Minutemen.
- Completing Ad Victoriam and starting The Nuclear Option for the Brotherhood of Steel will successfully complete Banished from the Institute (and Defend the Castle).
- If the Sole Survivor is declared an enemy to the Institute, X6-88 will become unrecruitable and will be hostile until he is killed. This can prove to be a problem if he was sent to a settlement, as he may engage the settlers.
- Killing Father during Nuclear Family will complete the storyline and make the player character become enemies with the Institute.
- If the start of the quest is triggered through console commands while outside the Institute, the player is not able to relay in. Instead, they need to travel to the C.I.T. ruins, where the quest will be completed upon arrival.
- Being banished from the Institute is an alternative way to obtain Bunker Hill as a settlement, provided Prep School is also completed for Kessler. After completing Prep School and being banished, speak to Kessler again and the settlement will become allied.
- Refusing to work with the Institute when the Sole Survivor meets Father for the first time does not trigger this quest, it is an optional ending of Institutionalized. Doing so also unlocks Bunker Hill as a settlement if Prep School was completed.
- Engaging in combat with Institute personnel after completing Institutionalized as an ally of the Institute does not trigger banishment, as long as only unnamed Institute NPCs are killed. Instead, the combat just triggers normal settlement hostility towards the Institute, which does reset after three in-game days.