Before the Great War, Back Street Apparel was a clothing store in the Fens area of Boston, next to the Charles River. In 2287, the ruins of the store building have become a hangout for a raider group led by Clutch.[Non-canon 1]
On the outside of the building are two orange cylinder pipes. One pipe contains a first aid kit (with various loot), and the other contains a missile launcher trap. Both will occasionally regenerate.
Inside this multi-story building is a large first room that appears to have been the store floor. It contains two tripwire traps, covering both access routes. There's a hole in the left wall that leads to the kidnapped settler for the radiant Minutemen Kidnapping quest. The first floor has a hackable terminal (Advanced), a locked safe (Advanced), an armor workbench and a locked cooler. The third floor has tight corners, as well as a Master locked safe.
- A Stealth Boy - In a Novice locked room on the first floor. Take a left turn when entering the doorway guarded by a sentry gun.
- Grognak the Barbarian issue #8 - On a table near the safe in the top floor room.
- An overdue book in a locked toolbox on a shelf next to the roof exit.
- If the Sole Survivor undertakes the quest Diamond City Blues, the six crates that are part of the chem deal can be looted. Each container contains dozens of various chems. Acquiring all the available chems will yield over a few hundred caps. The crates will still be there even after the quest is completed.
- Two Vault-Tec lunchboxes can be found near the river within a trailer and on the upper level in Anna's Cafe southwest of Back Street Apparel.
- If one manages to sneak up on Clutch, they will hear her arguing with another raider about how he is keeping her safe by being careful instead of being reckless like her.
- There is a teddy bear with glasses using the first floor bathroom and reading the newspaper.
- On the top floor, there is a skeleton in a bathtub with a toaster and a fork.
- Across the entrance is an old truck with some pipes. Inside one of the pipes is a trap with a missile launcher. The trigger is to the east, under the bridge and surrounded by cars.
- If one manages to enter undetected and remain as such, a raider can be overheard telling a story about a boy she had met that was afraid of fire. At night she and her group of raiders got him drunk until he passed out, put him on a raft of mattresses, threw it into the water, lit the mattresses on fire, and woke him up by throwing stones at him. The other raider then suggests that the boy must have overcome his fear of fire, to which the storyteller responds that he didn't because he couldn't swim.
Back Street Apparel only appears in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenes
In the documentary The History of Bethesda Game Studios, an early map for Fallout 4 is shown. A location called "Yawkey Apparel" can be seen where Back Street Apparel is in-game, indicating this was an earlier name of the store during development. Yawkey Way was the name of a short street in Boston from 1977 to 2018, named after Tom Yawkey, a former owner of the Boston Red Sox.
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition p. 430: "BACK STREET APPAREL
Prewar customers of this clothing shop preferred the bargains found here. It is now overrun by Raiders, and a couple of turrets greet you at the only entrance, close to a pipe-laden truck used as a barricade. Climb to the upper floor for a comic and roof access."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)