|For an overview of machine gun models, see Machine gun.|
One of the rarest machine guns in the pre-War United States was this air-cooled automatic rifle chambered for the .308 caliber round, loaded using detachable 20 round magazines. The automatic rifle was one of the oldest and earliest light machine gun models, with a barrel screwed into the receiver, greatly limiting the ability to quickly replace barrels in the field, forcing the operator to fire carefully and more precisely than with stationary machine guns.
Automatic rifles found in the wastelands come with a fixed wooden buttstock and closed-type adjustable iron sights, consisting of a forward post and a rear leaf sight with 100 to 1,500 yard range graduations.
The automatic rifle is a powerful support weapon firing .308 caliber rounds. The weapon holds 20 rounds in a box magazine, has a higher base damage per shot than any other fully-automatic projectile weapon and a comparatively high Critical Chance.
Although it is a rifle with a very long barrel and high-powered rifle ammunition, it suffers from poor spread when compared to bolt-action and semi-automatic rifles, having the highest spread of any fully-automatic weapon in the game. Even when upgraded, it has the lowest fire rate of any automatic weapon, and its low durability means it will degrade rapidly with frequent use and require regular maintenance. The automatic rifle fires two round bursts with each separate attack in V.A.T.S. at the cost of 35 Action Points.
The automatic rifle can fire a total of about 995 standard rounds, the equivalent of 50 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Standard, HP, & AP||995||50|
- Automatic rifle upgraded internals - Increases rate of fire by 10%.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- Villa police station - one can be found to the left of the main entrance through the locked contraband storeroom door, along with boxes of .308 rounds. The contraband room cannot be picked and can be only accessed via a computer terminal on a desk next to the door with a Science skill of 75 required.
- Villa - can be found next to one of Dean's Secret Stashes on a rooftop, in a courtyard covered with the Cloud. Another can be found in a footlocker inside a courtyard a short distance northwest of the doors to the Residential District, behind the northwest pillar.
- Sierra Madre casino - can be found across from a gun cabinet on the second floor.
- Sierra Madre casino - Another can be found in a gun cabinet in the cashier's office on the first floor.
- Puesta del Sol switching station - can be found to the left of Ennis's locker. On the ground next to it are several dozen armor-piercing rounds.
- Salida del Sol courtyard - next to a corpse and a Dean's Secret Stash, in the water with all the Sierra Madre chips.
- Salida del Sol South - in a gun cabinet on the ground floor of a building south of the building with the upturned pool table.
- Salida del Sol South - can be found east of the Salida switching station, on a second-floor balcony next to a beeping radio.
- In its Pip-Boy icon, the automatic rifle is shown with the bipod unfolded. In-game the player character cannot unfold the bipod.
- It has one of the game's longest weapon barrels, almost hitting the ground at times in a similar way to the anti-materiel rifle.
Behind the scenes
- This weapon is based on the M1918 Browning automatic rifle, or BAR, with some modifications.
- This is weapon is one of four in the game based on a firearm made by John Browning, the others being the Cowboy repeater, 9mm pistol, and the .45 Auto pistol from Honest Hearts.
- If loading a saved game from the main menu in which one has an automatic rifle equipped and drawn, the reload animation takes twice as long as normal. This can be solved by simply switching to another gun and then back again. [verified]
- If kneeling and reloading the automatic rifle, it will reload in a standing position rather than a kneeling one.[verified]
- Automatic rifle appearance.
- J. E. Sawyer on Formspring