Austin's adoptive grandmother is Dr. Penske, who took him in after his parents died. He is described as having hair that is a "mole rat's nest" by Horatio. The boy is friendly with many of the vault's residents, including Maria Summerset, who gives him extra helpings at the cafeteria. He is also the best friend of Erin Combes, with whom he goes to school. They spend a lot of time together, though he rarely visits when her parents are home, due to their constant fighting.
When the Sole Survivor first enters the vault, he will offer to give them a tour in return for five caps. Alternately, the Survivor can persuade him to do it for free or decline.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Hole in the Wall - Austin becomes the victim of a diseased mole rat bite whom the Survivor can find a cure to help. He will die if the cure is not given to him.
- Vault 81 Tour - On the player character's first interaction with Austin, he will offer to take the player character on a tour of the vault for a price of 5 caps or for free if the player character successfully passes a Speech check.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Vault 81 jumpsuit||Bottlecaps, random food (when dying during Hole in the Wall)|
His last name becomes apparent only after doing the tour.
- "Gran says I'm a bottomless pit when it comes to food."
- "Someday, I'm going to check out the Commonwealth. If my gran lets me."
- "I can't wait until I don't have to do school anymore."
Austin appears only in Fallout 4.