Each issue helps in combat. Many of them directly increase damage, while others assist with health or in other ways.
|Editor ID||Issue||Location||Location Description||Perk & Effect||Base ID|
|#6, Attack Of The Fishmen||Skylanes Flight 1981||On the restroom toilet below the cockpit.||Do +5% damage against Mirelurks.||0016969f|
|02||#4, Rise of the Mutants!||Trinity Church||On the lectern, by the steamer trunk at the east side of the church interior.||Do +5% damage against Super Mutants.||001696a7|
|03||Deep Sea Terror! "Sinister Seafood Strikes!!"||Outpost Zimonja||On the workshop.||Do +5% damage at night.||001696a0|
|04||#4, Invasion of the Zetans||Hubris Comics||Top floor (the film studio), in the "star" restroom (southeast corner of room), on a table under an irradiated blood pack, near the steamer trunk.||Do +5% damage with the Alien Blaster.||0016969d|
|05||When Apes Go Bananas!!! "A Gorilla Ate My Patrol Car!"||Railroad HQ||Inside Railroad HQ (Freedom Trail mission must be completed to open the Railroad HQ), on a metal desk just west of the central table.||Do +5% damage with the Cryolator.||001696a2|
|06||My Brain and I... (A Twisted Love Tale)||Boston mayoral shelter||Lower level bedroom, southwest corner, on a small table.||Regenerate 1 point of health per minute.||0016969a|
|07||#8, The Man Who Could Stop Time||Vault 114||In the living quarters area, on a container in the blocked corridor, under the "Laundry" sign.||Gain +5 Action Points.||001696a1|
|08||Attack of the Metal Men||Dunwich Borers||At the bottom of the pit below terminal #3, on a table near the steamer trunk.||Take 5% less damage from robots.||0016969c|
|09||#12, Have Dog, Will Travel!||The Institute||On the triangular table of the outside balcony, accessed via Holdren’s quarters, north of atrium.||Your canine companion permanently takes 10% less damage.||001696a5|
|10||#4, The Mad Russian's Revenge||Pickman Gallery||To the right of the steamer trunk (or on the floor infront) in the last tunnel chamber, where one meets Pickman.||Gain +5 Poison Resistance.||0016969e|
|11||The Starlet Sniper||Coast Guard Pier||In the basement, on the toilet inside the locked cell (Expert lock or use terminal to unlock the cell), by the secured storage room.||Do +5% damage with scoped weapons.||0016969b|
|12||#13, Curse of the Burned!||Crater of Atom||Top floor (up the stairs) of the central metal shack built into the western rocks.||Do +5% damage against Ghouls.||001696a6|
|13||#10, Giant Insects Invade||Sentinel site||In the first main area right at the start of Sentinel Site Prescott, in one of the outer hallway areas, under some stairs, this magazine is found on the desk as part of a large row of work terminals on the eastern side of the facility.||Gain +5 Radiation Resistance.||001696a3|
|14||#12, Rise of the Radiated||East Boston Preparatory School||On a desk in the computer room, top floor, southeast corner.||RadAway heals +5% radiation damage.||001696a4|
- Most of the issue numbers are torn off the magazines. However, The Art of Fallout 4 has clean versions of the issues where the numbers, if they have them, can be read.
- Issue #12, "Have Dog, Will Travel," will be rendered uncollectable should the Institute be destroyed.
About the perksEdit
This section is transcluded from Astoundingly Awesome. To change it, please edit the transcluded page.
- The perk provided by Astoundingly Awesome Tales #01 is ambiguous in its description that it heals the player one point per minute. Health is restored at 1 point per in-game minute.
- However, this is taken into account by the Waiting system in the game, healing the player character by the amount that would have been healed if they had actually spent the entire in-game hour playing.
- Looking at the game's files, it would seem that the perk for issue #12 does nothing. However, there is actually a hidden 15th perk, PerkMagAwesomeTalesDogmeat "Astoundingly Awesome 15" [PERK:00169693], which Dogmeat has from the beginning. It is inactive until player.HasPerk 169692 is true, which is to say his human friend has picked up issue #09 and received its perk. When that condition is satisfied, Dogmeat's own perk will activate, removing 10% of his incoming weapon damage.
- The +5 radiation resistance provided by issue #10 applies to both external radiation sources and radiation from consumed items, giving it a similar effect to the Lead Belly perk.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The name of the magazine is a take on pulp science-fiction/fantasy/adventure magazines such as Amazing Stories and Weird Tales.
- On the cover of "Rise of the Mutants!" the license plate reads "4LL-0WT-4" and "Bethesda MD," referencing the name Fallout 4 and Bethesda, Maryland, the original home of Bethesda Game Studios.
- "The Man Who Could Stop Time" is also a play on the fact that the player character can effectively stop time when using V.A.T.S., hence the additional action points.
- The title "Have Dog, Will Travel!" is modeled after a phrase made popular by Have Gun – Will Travel, an American TV and radio western that ran from 1957-1963 (1958-1960 for radio), featuring a protagonist named Paladin.
- The issue "Invasion of the Zetans" refers to the zetans that the Lone Wanderer faces in the Fallout 3 add-on Mothership Zeta. A zetan also appears at the UFO crash site in Fallout 4, and animatronic zetans show up as the invading aliens in the Nuka-Galaxy ride within the Galactic Zone section of Nuka-World.
- "The Man Who Could Stop Time" may be in reference to an episode of The Twilight Zone (1959-1964), where a man is given a stopwatch which stops time. He then uses it for cheap party tricks, then escalates to robbing a bank where he breaks it, and time is now permanently stopped.
- The magazine named "Attack of the Fishman" could be a reference to 1954 movie Creature from the Black Lagoon. The cover of the magazine resembles the film's poster.
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- "My Brain and I" is possibly a reference to the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Old World Blues, in which the Courier can flirt with their own brain.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|