|For an overview of assault rifle models, see assault rifle.|
Fed from a side-mounted magazine, this assault rifle has anti-aircraft style sights and interchangeable barrels and magazines. It includes a charging handle on the right fashioned out of wood. A common sight in Appalachia, this assault rifle is used by Scorched, Raiders, Settlers, and super mutants.
The assault rifle features a side-mounted magazine and fires 5.56mm rounds. If fitted with an automatic receiver, the rifle switches to using Commando perks instead of Rifleman.
- Whistle in the Dark - A unique legendary variant obtained as a Survival mode reward during the weeks of June 25-July 1 and August 20-26, 2019.
- Whistle in the Dark - A unique legendary variant featuring a custom paintjob crafted from a plan obtained as a Daily Ops reward.
- One can be found at Crimson Prospect, on a dining table in the northeast tower, in the same room as Randy's terminal.
- One can be found at Harpers Ferry, on the shelves in the armory next to the minigun.
- One can be found at Sugar Grove.
Behind the scenes
The assault rifle was one of the first weapons created during the development of Fallout 4, and was originally dubbed "machine gun" before the weapon crafting system was developed. The model filenames still reflect this original title.
- The Art of Fallout 4, p. 20: "MACHINE GUN
The first gun made for the game. We mainly wanted something beefy that would look right in the power armor's oversized hands. It was also a chance to explore modification and customization. We designed it to allow interchangeable barrels and magazines. At this early stage of the project, we didn't plan on giving the player too many options, but we'd go on to develop a deeper and more flexible system. This particular gun design would later become the assault rifle."
- Model name: