| ||For an overview of assault rifle models, see assault rifle.|
Manufactured by civilian defense contractor Stent Security Solutions, the R91 assault rifle is a conventional design chambered for 5.56mm ammunition. Employing a roller delayed blowback system, it is a very sturdy design, with simple iron sights that consist of a rotary rear drum and hooded front post, a fire selector switch with three settings (safe, fully automatic fire, single shot), and a flash suppressor. The final touch is the wooden stock and handguard.
The R91 was manufactured by Stent as part of its R series, superseding the manufacturer's own M series of combat assault rifles in the early 21st century. While other models and variants were developed, the R91's combination of ruggedness, firepower, and low manufacturing costs resulted in its adoption as an assault rifle of the National Guard and issuance to troops on the Anchorage front.
The number of working units is particularly high in the Capital Wasteland, as the National Guard units deployed there used it widely. It remains a popular sight among the inhabitants of the region, particularly slavers and raiders, though it is also available for purchase from traders and weapon dealers.
The R91 is a general-purpose automatic firearm, effective from short to medium range. However, the high spread and low damage per shot greatly reduce its effectiveness against targets at a longer range or hard targets like giant radscorpions. Nevertheless, it remains a lightweight, hard-hitting weapon for low to mid-level Small Guns users. Condition degrades at a moderate rate. Poor-condition assault rifles are sold by many vendors across the wasteland and are often found in raider camps, buildings, and Metro tunnels.
The assault rifle can fire a total of 1250 rounds, the equivalent of 53 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
- Infiltrator - A scoped, silenced, and stockless version of the R-91 assault rifle. It is comparable to the silenced 10mm pistol in that it sacrifices firepower to reduce noise.
- Perforator - A unique version of the Infiltrator, it has the slowest rate of fire of any assault weapon.
- Sim version - A sim-only version of the weapon that differs only in health (essentially non-degrading). It features a cleaner, less-battered texture with fresh wood and darker metal areas than its wasteland counterpart. Available via the assault package in the deployment terminal.
|The following is based on Fallout 3 cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Wanda - A unique R-91 assault rifle that was cut from the final game.
- Alloy steel assault rifle Operation: Anchorage. It uses the Anchorage-specific texture for the weapon, but aside from name and appearance is identical to the standard R-91 assault rifle. It is likely the weapon was intended to be placed in the armory with other "wasteland" versions of weapons found in the Anchorage sim, most of which were cut from the final version of the add-on; as such the weapon can only be accessed through the use of console commands. - A variant named "alloy steel assault rifle" can be found in the data files for
|End of information based on Fallout 3 cut content.|
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- Rivet City - One or two assault rifles can be bought from Flak 'N Shrapnel's shop.
- Tenpenny Tower - They can sometimes be bought from Chief Gustavo. Also, every guard in the tower carries one. The player character will be given one for free during the Tenpenny Tower quest.
- Springvale School - An assault rifle in poor condition can be found early, inside the mining tunnels next to some dead wastelanders, 5.56 ammunition, and a Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual.
- There are some locations in which up to seven assault rifles in very poor condition can be found. They can be put to good use as repair parts, especially if the player has a repair skill of 100.
- The assault rifle is most often carried by super mutant brutes.
- Raiders carry them very often, mostly at mid-levels.
- There is a truck and barricade with some ammunition, a 10mm pistol, and an assault rifle to the slight northwest of Fairfax. It is guarded by a Mister Gutsy. The rifle is in poor condition when found.
- There is one assault rifle at level 6 (confirmed) in Hamilton's hideaway with Three Dog's weapon cache key.
- The player character can find four assault rifles in the locked armory of Wheaton armory.
- Assault rifles can be found on the raiders outside the armory as well.
- One can be found in the equipment room adjacent to the Tranquility loungers in Vault 112, but the room is locked by a computer that requires 75 science to unlock.
- Found in the Citadel armory.
- Used by the Brotherhood of Steel members in the Citadel.
- Available at early levels from some wasteland scavengers.
- Allen Mack carries one during the quest Trouble on the Homefront.
- Susie Mack will carry this in a random encounter if one takes the good Karma route in the quest Trouble on the Homefront.
- Simone Cameron uses one prior to completing the quest Head of State.
- The caravan guards all use the assault rifle.
- Moira Brown's mercenary uses an assault rifle, and one can purchase the weapon from her as well.
- Alan, Barrett, Crazy Wolfgang, Evan King, Winger Gervais, Winger Mercier, Chief Gustavo, Branchtender Linden, Branchtender Maple, Branchtender Cypress and Initiate Reddin all use the assault rifle.
Despite only physically appearing in Fallout 3, the R91 assault rifle features in the perk image for Commando in Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, the sign for Commonwealth Weaponry, as well as several perk cards in Fallout 76.
PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The assault rifle can clip through targets or level geometry in V.A.T.S. This results in all shots missing or being absorbed by geometry, even when the muzzle protrudes past the obstruction. Against point-blank targets in V.A.T.S., the rifle sometimes inflicts minimal damage.[verified]
| || |
- ↑ Citadel terminal entries; R91 5.56mm assault rifle
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Citadel terminals; Terminal, R91 5.56mm Assault Rifle
- ↑ Appearances in Operation Anchorage, and Mothership Zeta.