|For an overview of assault rifle models, see assault rifle.|
Manufactured by civilian defense contractor Stent Security Solutions, the R Series of combat assault rifles was used reliably following the discontinuation of the M series in the early 21st century. Chambered for 5.56mm ammunition, the R91 full-auto urban assault rifle is common throughout the Capital Wasteland.
The weapon was used by troops on the Anchorage front and served as the National Guard's standard issue rifle during urban pacification operations, who were fully deployed in Washington D.C. at the time of the Great War. As a result, despite the war having taken place two centuries ago, the R91 can be found commonly throughout the ruins of D.C., currently utilized by slavers and raiders as well as sold by legitimate traders and arms dealers. Like any firearm, the R91's effectiveness and accuracy will suffer without regular maintenance.
The R91 is a general-purpose automatic firearm, effective from short to medium range. However, the high spread and low damage per shot greatly reduce its effectiveness against targets at a longer range or hard targets like giant radscorpions. Nevertheless, it remains a lightweight, hard-hitting weapon for low to mid-level Small Guns users. Condition degrades at a moderate rate. Poor-condition assault rifles are sold by many vendors across the wasteland and are often found in raider camps, buildings, and Metro tunnels.
The assault rifle can fire a total of 1250 rounds, the equivalent of 53 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
- Infiltrator - A scoped, silenced, and stockless version of the R-91 assault rifle. It is comparable to the silenced 10mm pistol in that it sacrifices firepower to reduce noise.
- Perforator - A unique version of the Infiltrator, it has the slowest rate of fire of any assault weapon.
- Sim version - A sim-only version of the weapon that differs only in health (essentially non-degrading). It features a cleaner, less-battered texture with fresh wood and darker metal areas than its wasteland counterpart. Available via the assault package in the deployment terminal.
|The following is based on Fallout 3 cut content.|
- Wanda - A unique R-91 assault rifle that was cut from the final game.
- Alloy steel assault rifle Operation: Anchorage. It uses the Anchorage-specific texture for the weapon, but aside from name and appearance is identical to the standard R-91 assault rifle. It is likely the weapon was intended to be placed in the armory with other "wasteland" versions of weapons found in the Anchorage sim, most of which were cut from the final version of the add-on; as such the weapon can only be accessed through the use of console commands. - A variant named "alloy steel assault rifle" can be found in the data files for
|End of information based on Fallout 3 cut content.|
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- Rivet City - One or two assault rifles can be bought from Flak 'N Shrapnel's shop.
- Tenpenny Tower - They can sometimes be bought from Chief Gustavo. Also, every guard in the tower carries one. The player character will be given one for free during the Tenpenny Tower quest.
- Springvale School - An assault rifle in poor condition can be found early, inside the mining tunnels next to some dead wastelanders, 5.56 ammunition, and a Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual.
- There are some locations in which up to seven assault rifles in very poor condition can be found. They can be put to good use as repair parts, especially if the player has a repair skill of 100.
- The assault rifle is most often carried by super mutant brutes.
- Raiders carry them very often, mostly at mid-levels.
- There is a truck and barricade with some ammunition, a 10mm pistol, and an assault rifle to the slight northwest of Fairfax. It is guarded by a Mister Gutsy. The rifle is in poor condition when found.
- There is one assault rifle at level 6 (confirmed) in Hamilton's hideaway with Three Dog's weapon cache key.
- The player character can find four assault rifles in the locked armory of Wheaton armory.
- Assault rifles can be found on the raiders outside the armory as well.
- One can be found in the equipment room adjacent to the Tranquility loungers in Vault 112, but the room is locked by a computer that requires 75 science to unlock.
- Found in the Citadel armory.
- Used by the Brotherhood of Steel members in the Citadel.
- Available at early levels from some wasteland scavengers.
- Allen Mack carries one during the quest Trouble on the Homefront.
- Susie Mack will carry this in a random encounter if one takes the good Karma route in the quest Trouble on the Homefront.
- Simone Cameron uses one prior to completing the quest Head of State.
- The caravan guards all use the assault rifle.
- Moira Brown's mercenary uses an assault rifle, and one can purchase the weapon from her as well.
- Alan, Barrett, Crazy Wolfgang, Evan King, Winger Gervais, Winger Mercier, Chief Gustavo, Branchtender Linden, Branchtender Maple, Branchtender Cypress and Initiate Reddin all use the assault rifle.
- Pitt raiders. Carried by some
Behind the scenes
- Despite only physically appearing in Fallout 3, the R91 assault rifle appears in the Commonwealth Weaponry sign. It is also depicted in the perk image for the Commando perk in Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4. Additionally, it appears on several perk cards in 'Fallout 76, including Expert Commando, Master Commando, and Tank Killer. It also appears in several promotional materials for Fallout 76 and its subsequent updates.
- The R91 was recreated as an unreleased weapon skin for the Atomic Shop in Fallout 76.
The assault rifle can clip through targets or level geometry in V.A.T.S. This results in all shots missing or being absorbed by geometry, even when the muzzle protrudes past the obstruction. Against point-blank targets in V.A.T.S., the rifle sometimes inflicts minimal damage.[verified]
- Citadel terminal entries; R91 5.56mm assault rifle
- Citadel terminal entries; Weapon information research database terminal, R91 5.56mm Assault Rifle
- Appearances in Operation Anchorage, and Mothership Zeta