|Miscellaneous quest: Art Appreciation|
|Talk with Hancock and ask him for work.|
|Go to Pickman Gallery.|
|Recover the holotape Message to Jack.|
|Return to Hancock.|
|Reward: 150+ XP|
Up to 400 caps
Talk with John Hancock in Goodneighbor and ask him for work. He will offer the Sole Survivor a reconnaissance job to scope out Pickman Gallery. For services rendered, he offers a base sum of caps but can be convinced to increase the amount with speech checks.
Go to Pickman Gallery, located northwest of Old North Church. Raiders will be found around the outside and inside of the gallery, all looking for Pickman. Fight through them to the room immediately left of the entrance. Take the holotape titled "Message to Jack" off of a dead raider in the middle of the room, which is all Hancock will need. Exploring the rest of the gallery and killing the raiders is optional.
Return to Hancock and speak to him, initiating related dialogue where he learns what he wanted to and is pleased with the player character's work. He will then reward a number of caps dependent on how many or if any speech checks were passed.
This article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
- The quest Pickman's Gift runs concurrently with this one. They can be seamlessly done together by starting this quest first.
- If he becomes available as a companion between accepting and turning in this quest, Hancock will indicate mild annoyance at having been brought to the gallery when he was paying the Sole Survivor to scout it out, but it will not affect the agreed upon reward. This dialogue will trigger even if the investigation was completed without Hancock ever setting foot in the gallery. However, the dialogue to describe what it was like will not be available.
- Failing the initial speech check asking for more caps will irritate Hancock and he will give the Sole Survivor fewer caps than originally offered.
- The Big Dig and gained Hancock as a companion. [verified] This quest will become inaccessible if the player has already completed
- SetStage <001120de> <10>, although this may not work. However, Hancock will express dislike at having to go with the player upon their return, regardless of whether he did or not. This method also means the player cannot earn the potential 400 caps reward since the speech checks are removed with the quest once Hancock has become a companion. The quest becomes available again after completing the quest Trouble Brewin', even if Hancock is the current companion, and all speech checks will be available. On PC it can be force started by using the command
On PC a better way to solve this problem is:
- Move both Hancock and your character to Goodneighbor, dismiss him if he is a current follower.
- Run command 22615.SetFactionRank a1b85 -1 to set Hancock to the default non-companion state.
- Hancock should now have the dialogue option to start this quest. Finish this quest normally.
- Run command 22615.SetFactionRank a1b85 0 to add Hancock back to available companions.