In the early years of Arroyo, the Vault Dweller, and their spouse Pat,[Non-canon 2] led the village and the tribe. The tribe grew, and grew strong with their help. In 2188, their daughter, who later became the elder, was born. Eventually, she and their other children became the leaders of the community.[Non-canon 1]
In the Fallout 2 manual, the Vault Dweller memoirs read that on January 16, 2208, several years after Pat's death, the Vault Dweller vanished from Arroyo and was presumed dead. Some say they were taken by the sky spirits, others say that the they felt it was time to move on and leave the elders to guide Arroyo to its destiny. After the One-Moon (Month) Cycle of mourning for the Vault Dweller ended, activity in Arroyo began returning to normal.
Ascension to leadership
The final training of the Vault Dweller's daughter for the role of village elder began on February 2. She underwent a great deal of physical training and tutoring in various sciences, mathematics and, of course, weapon skills. Two years later, she took her mystic test, a key ingredient of which is several pots worth of hallucinogenic plants from Hakunin's garden. She ran the gauntlet in the Temple of Trials, using her charm to pass most of the tests after her handgun jammed (and was ruined) on the first level. She offered numerous criticisms of the test, resulting in many revisions. Two days later, she ascended to role of village elder. She ruled with a steady hand, and her wisdom was greatly respected.
In 2241, the worst dry season in many years causes a drought in the Northern California area, hurting crops and brahmin in Arroyo. The elder, having read a GECK advertisement in her father's old holodisks, decides that her child must be sent to find it, as it is the village's only hope. After descending and finishing the Temple of Trials, she gave him $152 and a water flask, and the Chosen One left the village in search of the ancient device.
While the Chosen One was on their quest, on July 20, 2242, Arroyo was attacked by Enclave soldiers in Vertibirds, wearing power armor, armed with energy weapons. The villagers, including the elder, were enslaved and brought to the Oil Rig. Some of them tried to resist the attackers and were killed, and Hakunin was seriously wounded.
The Enclave needed the tribals for their FEV experiments. They needed two test groups: one of clean, pure humans and another composed of the "mutants" that lived all over the mainland, suffering radiation and FEV exposure for decades that, to the Enclave, made them unclean. The unclean sample was easily obtained by kidnapping the entire population of Arroyo. The clean group were the dwellers of Vault 13, who were reunited with their long lost Arroyo brethren in Enclave prison cells.
In Fall 2242, the Chosen One managed to enter the Enclave Oil Rig using a damaged tanker and destroyed the Poseidon Oil platform, killing the President of the United States and ending the Enclave's plans for world domination. The surviving people of Arroyo and Vault 13 were freed, the elder among them, and were brought back to the mainland in the oil tanker the Chosen One had used to reach the rig.
The Arroyo elder lived for many years after the destruction of the Enclave. She seemed pleased that the ancient separation between Vault 13 and the Vault Dweller had been reconciled, and many times she told the Chosen One that she wished the Vault Dweller were alive to have seen the reconciliation take place. Certain that the safety of the new village had been secured and the new community was flourishing, the elder passed away a few months later in her sleep. Many of the older Arroyo residents believe that she now lives in the vault of the sky, telling the Vault Dweller of the Chosen One's brave deeds.
Interactions with the player character
|This character has a talking head.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character is allied with the following faction(s).|
- Finish Temple of Trials: The elder thinks the Chosen One is ready to get past the Temple of Trials. They will soon find out if she is right.
- Find Vic the Trader: After passing the Temple of Trials, the elder will ask the Chosen One to seek out a trader who had a Vault 13 water flask. She wants them to inquire about it.
- Retrieve the GECK for Arroyo: Arroyo is experiencing the worst dry season they've had in a long time; so bad in fact, that they need a G.E.C.K. to help them.
The Arroyo elder appears only in Fallout 2.
- Fallout Bible 0 Timeline repair: Second strike: "2188 October 2 Vault Dweller has a daughter (who becomes the Elder in Fallout 2)."
- Fallout 2 manual: "Together, our little group moved north, away from the Vault, and away from that old life. Slowly, I taught them what experience had taught me. And together we learned to thrive. The Tribe Over time, our ragtag group turned into a tribe. I fell in love with one of them, and we raised a family, like all of our tribes people. We founded the Village, beyond the great cliff. It is a secure home thanks to our hard work. We would send scouts back towards the Vault, to help others who thought like ourselves, but that slowly came to an end. We no longer head in that direction. I often wonder what became of Vault 13, and the other Vaults, but I never had the time to go exploring again."