| ||For the vehicle in Fallout Tactics, see Armored personnel carrier (Fallout Tactics).|
The military infantry fighting vehicle, commonly referred to as just an armored personnel carrier (APC) was an armored fighting vehicle of the United States Armed Forces before the War. It appears in Fallout 4 and Fallout 76.
Deployed routinely across the United States during the Sino-American War, the APC was used for crowd control and to transport troops to key hotspots in the safety of its armored shell. Despite being as heavily armed as it was armored, making it an infantry fighting vehicle, it was most commonly referred to as an armored personnel carrier.
The APC is a six-wheeled vehicle designed for supporting infantry operations and transporting soldiers through the battlefield. It is a fairly tall design, with a forward driver's position, sitting over the primary engine, in a compartment isolated from the troop section. The vehicle can carry six soldiers and two power armor units in reasonable comfort in this section, with a note that power armor units must stand for transportation. For defense, it is provided with a 105mm gun in an autonomous dorsal turret and a pair of ball-mounted 76mm guns to the sides of the driver's cabin, giving it its distinctive whiskers.
The APC could be used for a variety of purposes, such as transportation or, if fitted with a gurney and other necessary equipment, a medical evacuation vehicle. Due to its shielding, it could also be used to transport radioactive waste, for example, in decontamination operations.
- During War Never Changes, the vehicle can be seen on the street of Sanctuary Hills while soldiers direct the residents towards Vault 111 just before the nuclear bombs hit the Greater Boston area. It is removed sometime before the Sole Survivor leaves Vault 111.
- One can be found carrying several barrels of nuclear waste. It is located on a small island in Misty Lake west of Sanctuary Hills after the Sole Survivor has left Vault 111.
- One can be found just south of the rotten landfill on the road adjacent to the freeway.
- One can be found at a military checkpoint near Mass Gravel & Sand and Wattz Consumer Electronics. This unnamed armored vehicle contains a crate with some loot. There is a power armor without a helmet in an advanced storage box at the same location.
- Two can be found on the barge behind the wreck of the USS Riptide.
- An abandoned armored vehicle rammed into a mound of dirt with several armed frag mines around it and an army skeleton inside with a box of 3 fragmentation mines, 2 food items, a silver locket, a weapon (depending on the player's level), and a duffle bag with around 32 pre-war money can be found NNE of relay tower 0BB-915.
- Another can be found at a military checkpoint just south of Big John's Salvage.
- One can be found in the southwestern edge of Boston Common. It contains some loot and the name "Swann" is written on it.
- One can be found at the Wilson Atomatoys factory, and when fast traveled to after the landing of the Prydwen brotherhood members can be seen walking out of it, suggesting that they may have used it.
- Two can be found to the east of Breakheart Banks. Appearing to be part of a crashed military convoy, one is still on the back of a flatbed semi, and another has fallen off. The location appears to be guarded by leveled military robots.
- One can be found on the road out the front of the Weston water treatment plant.
- Two can be found immediately south of West Everett Estates as part of a convoy patrolled by a Utility Protectron alongside the wreckage of a Stingray Deluxe.
- Two can be found on a barge to the northwest of Nahant Sherrif's Department on the land bridge.
- Three can be found northwest of Neponset Park, with one half-sunken into a pond and a nearby suit of leveled power armor.
- Three can be found on a barge north of the Old North Church by a crashed vertibird.
- Three can be found west of Finch farm, two behind a wrecked trailer, and one in front of it.
- Dry Rock Gulch. Two in the military convoy slightly southwest of
- Hubologist's camp. Two in the military convoy south of the
- Three are just outside Vault 76 near its military checkpoint to the west.
- Upon leaving the Overseer's camp one can be seen in a convoy near Flatwoods.
- Often outside of voting booths such as in Charleston.
- One is near the gates of Wade Airport.
- Five can be seen outside Poseidon Energy Plant WV-06.
- Some loot can usually be found in or around these vehicles. This includes stimpaks, weapons (dependent on player level) and other items.
- There are unique NPC idle animations that are used with this vehicle. These can be observed by going to any checkpoint where they are found after at least one recurring defense quest is completed. Any surviving allies can be observed apparently restoring or salvaging the vehicles.
The APC appears in Fallout 4 and Fallout 76.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The vehicle is actually an infantry fighting vehicle, rather than an armored personnel carrier. The difference is in armaments: Armored personnel carriers are designed to safely transport infantry inside and are either unarmed or provided with self-defense weapons to deter minor attacks. Infantry fighting vehicles can not only transport and protect infantry, but also provide fire support and actively participate in combat. The "APC"'s high caliber gun place it squarely in the IFV category.
- The APC was modeled by Istvan Pely.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Measured using the in-game yardstick.
- ↑ Modiphus Military IFV schematic
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Fallout: Wasteland Warfare - Terrain Expansion: Pre-war APC STL" at Modiphius.net: "APCs are familiar sights for wastelanders across post-war America. They were deployed routinely while the country was on a war footing, and can be found wrecked and looted, in and around key areas such as barracks and railway stations. Its heavy weapons and solid armor made it more akin to an Infantry Fighting Vehicle, and it was used as crowd control and to transport heavy troopers to key hotspots.
When functional they were capable of transporting 6 soldiers and 2 power armor suits, making them spacious mobile platforms for deployment. Now they make excellent hiding holes, nesting spaces and barricades. Brave explorers can sometimes find stims or equipment in them, however they are as likely to anger anything lurking inside as they are to find a good haul."
- ↑ Vehicle appearance
- ↑ NIF file comment